Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2005 5:18:01 PM EDT
Just curious as to how your safety functions with this trigger.

On other AR’s I’ve seen (w/ the standard fire control) the safety cannot be moved to “SAFE” if the hammer is not cocked.

I’m installing a JARD adjustable trigger (or was, until this snag), and it seems that I’ve got everything adjusted correctly, yet I can move the safety selector to “SAFE” with the hammer UN-cocked.

So I slap on my upper to try it…
With the hammer un-cocked, and the safety on safe, when I try the charging handle, it snags the carrier on the hammer (which cannot engage the sear), and basically jams everything up.  With the carrier frozen in a partially open position, I can then turn the selector to “FIRE” and then fully “charge” the rifle.

Is this normal?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one and left it in a bag for months for this very reason.  The safety adjustment screw doesn't do anything about the safety being able to go to Safe when the hammer is not cocked.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong too, but I don't see any other ajustment that will govern it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info Duffy.

So I guess maybe it’s not just me.

Actually this is my second JARD install.  I put in the first one about a year ago, but was unhappy with it the adjustments, then damaged it when trying to remove/replace it.  JARD replace it (A+ customer service) even thought I admitted it was my fault for buggering up a screw (lock-tite was completely set & I didn’t have the wrench seated deeply enough).

I just thought I’d maybe give it another try.  It may not be that serious of an issue, but was just wondering what others have seen.

One thing is certain; it is a major improvement to my rifle’s trigger pull!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#3]
C'mon folks... I know Duffy isn't the only one out there who's tried a Jard trigger.

How does your safety function?

(please)
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t know if anyone cares…
(Probably not, because no one posted much for replies…)

But,
I talked to JARD today, and apparently this is normal operation for my trigger, due to the date of manufacture/purchase.  The current model is similar to the standard F.C.G., in that the safety cannot be moved to SAFE position, if the hammer is in the fired position.
I think I would prefer the current model, but don’t see any major drawbacks to the one I have now.

Summary:
Jard trigger = nice.  And they have very good customer service.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I kind of care, I like basic things like that to be standard.  Would have been nice for them to disclose it in the manual
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one in m bushmaster, the safety was opperated fine but it double fired randomly. After several trips to the gunsmith I had him put in a JP.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
On mine the saftey can be turned to on at any time, but if it's not already cocked I can't pull the bolt back because the trigger won't move to let the sear by-pass. Once I accepted that it's been no problem for me.  It might be on a tactical rifle. The trigger pull is kind of light for anything but varmit or target.

Regards,
Mild Bill
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Mild Bill, yup that's exactly what I'm seeing on mine.  And, like you said, once you accept it, it really shouldn't be a problem on a target/varmint rifle (and that's what I'm using it on).

Duffy, agreed.   Wish I would have know this ahead of time also, but I think I'll give it a try for a season.

I'm seriously considering getting one of the "new model" JARD triggers, which functions similar to the standard fire control group, as far as safety operation is concerned.  Depending on weather, I’ll see how this one runs at the range this weekend, then decide from there.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top