Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2005 6:58:08 PM EDT
Which Colt upper should I buy?  I just bought a Colt Competition Match HBAR lower, small hole but with the one sided screw.  Its the newer black Colt finish, and has a first gen. 4-pos Colt stock on it.  I want to top it with either:

-Colt R6520 upper
GOOD: (Light, readily available, M4 feed ramp grooves)
BAD: (???)

-Colt R6920 upper
GOOD:(Light, M4 upgrades, cool factor)
BAD: (PRICE, ???)

-Colt R6320 upper
GOOD: (Light, simple A1 sights, rare)
BAD: (Price, no M4 feed ramp grooves)

-CMMG M4 upper
GOOD: (price, M4 features)
BAD: (DPMS product?, finish match to the lower?)

-Others????

Please note that I don't plan on mounting optics, at least any time soon.  I have a HK-91 so I want to make this AR pretty light.  Pick a Upper model and tell me why...
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Also, if I plan on purchasing a upper, it will be new.  If I'm spending $ 700+ on a upper I'm getting what I want the first time around.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
For the price CMMG is very hard to beat, also the only DPMS parts on their uppers are the bolt and carrier. The barrel and upper receiver are not DPMS. Besides, there is nothing wrong with DPMS. BTW, the finish is very nice on CMMG uppers too.

Their customer service is the best there is.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not putting down DPMS, but they're M$upper is less money than the CMMG upper.  If it was the same thing I wan't going to pay the extra $$$ for the CMMG, but now I know it is different.  Hows the finish match with the new black colt lower finish?
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure about the match to Colt lowers. One thing about the DPMS M4 upper compared to CMMG, CMMG has a chrome lined barrel, DPMS doesn't, the CMMG barrel is 4150 steel while DPMS is 4140, those aren't really big deals, but they are part of what makes CMMG a great buy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#5]
My CMMG upper is a pretty close match to my LE6920. The CMMG is a little bit darker, not by much though.

I suggest using a CMMG upper with a Colt bolt and carrier assembly.

CMMG's barrel specs are the same as Colt (4150 steel, 1/7, chrome lined).

Colt bolts and carriers are, however, far superior to the DPMS ones that CMMG supplies.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:05:02 AM EDT
[#6]
CMMG is good stuff.

How about a Colt 6921?  (True M4 barrel - 14.5")
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:13:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd put the 6920 upper on it if I were you.  You won't have to worry about swapping parts, and you'll get the same quality control that the US govt gets.  Plus, you already have a Colt lower.  Why not make it complete with a proper upper.

Stay with Colt and you won't regret it - even if it costs a little more up front.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#8]
+1
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#9]

If I'm spending $ 700+ on a upper I'm getting what I want the first time around.

I think that means you want to get a Colt upper. If you had said you want to get the most bang for your buck then I'd say get the CMMG.

I think the other question you want to answer is "flat-top upper vs. carry handle upper".
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't need the detachable carry handle now but I may mount optics in the future.  It would probably be best to get an upper with this feature.  I've pretty much narrowed it down to the R6920 or R6921 uppers....but there is still a slight possibility of getting a 6520 gov't upper.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#11]
-Slight Highjack -

Where are you shopping for your uppers?  I hope to be in your shoes in a few months.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I've mainly been looking here on the EE.  There are deals to be had.  I was about to buy a new LEO take-off R6520 upper...complete with b/c/ch and unused for $675 but I had to pay $400 for books this semester and I bought a few things for my HK.  Looks like I'm waiting for my tax return to start seriously looking for an upper again.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:52:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
-Slight Highjack -

Where are you shopping for your uppers?  I hope to be in your shoes in a few months.

SAW is the place for Colt uppers & parts.  I would go with a complete upper with the SAW reliability package if you want the King Shit of reliability.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks to you both.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Roto try www.autoweapons.com the have used and new colt uppers,actually the used ones are surplus military and they have complete new uppers.I saw a new M4A1 upper came with the new barrel and an  H buffer 2..it was like $1700..made me loose my breadth but if I had the cash to piss away Id have one of those..check them out
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#16]
$1700 seems terribly high for a new Colt upper.

I haven't checked prices since the AWB expired but prior to that you could get 6920 and 6721 conversion kit uppers, the complete upper, for around $895 give or take $100 or so...

Have prices really increased that much? Are we talking about the same thing?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I think he's talking about the limited run M4 HBAR uppers.  They are heavy under the handguards, unlike the other M4 uppers.  I think only 300 complete rifles were made but there are alot more uppers out there now.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#18]
ah yes, those M4 HBAR's are demanding quite the premium aren't they...
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#19]
CMMG option is a very good one. Great product & great company

Colt 6920 is very good as well (forget about the few dollars difference, as that will wear off- but the quality and your satisfaction never will)

and do not rule out the LMT M4 upper. It is absolutely beautiful, M4 spec, and quality is A+

See one right here
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought my Colt 6921 upper from Armament Services International (AKA autoweapons.com).
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Roto try www.autoweapons.com the have used and new colt uppers,actually the used ones are surplus military and they have complete new uppers.I saw a new M4A1 upper came with the new barrel and an  H buffer 2..it was like $1700..made me loose my breadth but if I had the cash to piss away Id have one of those..check them out

Their prices are insane.  SAW has the same uppers for half the price.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top