Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2004 8:13:11 AM EDT
I have heard that the oly lower receiver have tight mag wells and the finish seems to chip off
is this still a problem now? was it only on older models?
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#1]
i have a pre-ban oly, and just noticed the tight mag fit last night.....

i think it only may be w/ older sanchez junk 30rd mags, as any labelle, colt or english mags i put in it fit fine, either 20 or 30 rders
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Before the AWB they soft anodized their receivers, rather than the (almost) hardcoat used by everyone today.  Anodize doesn't chip off but can be scratched and worn.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#3]
so oly dosent have that problem any more
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#4]
No, I have several post ban Oly receivers.   They have a nice hardcoat anodize.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an Oly that was made in 2002.

The finish is fine.

The magwell has no issues with England, Singapore mags, USGI (Sanchez, Center Ind., OKAY Ind., LaBelle), LEO mags, Orlite, Thermold, and Colt mags. All drop free just fine.

The only mags I ever had that were a tight fit were two 40 round blued mags I ordered from Bushmaster, these were very tight, but they were just as tight in my DPMS and Eagle Arms lowers too. I suspect these 40 rnd  mags were out of spec.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Post June 2000 Olys are good, they are CNC and hard coat anodized.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Oly's are hit and miss.  NO TWO ARE ALIKE!  If you haven't bought one...  DON'T!

I just had another encounter with one of their shit box receivers three weeks ago with FLAGRANT parts alignment issues.  Finish is the least of the problems with the CRAP they make.  I don't know how they get away with puting such crap in the hands of shooters!
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#8]
mark what is your problem with oly, all you do is bash every oly thread
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#9]
well it's not like the oly WONT accept that one mag, its just a bit of a tight fit.....probably just the mag considering other mags are fine....

the finish is great on my preban, i like that its smooth and not matte

the fit is UNBELIEVABLE with any upper i use....

i mean like you cant even get a hair betwen the upper and lower w/ my reciever...

on one of my uppers, i either have to compress the upper and the lower together with all my strength just to slide the rear pin out....i usually just use a hammer and a punch...

its very tight, but i like it....this rifle feels so solid and there isnt a bit of play in it.....i love my oly
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]
With the speed and inconsistancy that magazines are coming out these days, I'd question the mag first.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top