Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2004 12:55:49 PM EDT
I am planning to sail around the world in a few months, and as much as I would love to bring my AR, I fear that some jackass customs agent somewhere will confiscate it. So I am downgrading to a stainless (for the saltwater environment) Mini-14 and leaving the AR at home.
Question: what's the best way to prep an AR for long term storage (3-4 years)?

-J
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am planning to sail around the world in a few months, and as much as I would love to bring my AR, I fear that some jackass customs agent somewhere will confiscate it. So I am downgrading to a stainless (for the saltwater environment) Mini-14 and leaving the AR at home.
Question: what's the best way to prep an AR for long term storage (3-4 years)?

-J

Don't know about your question but from what I know you need SOMETHING with you on the high seas.  Thar be pirates arrrrrr.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a Marine Magnum 870.

Shotguns are more "politically correct" and are often found for line throwing onboard.  Just make sure it is unloaded and stowed when you go into port.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I stored mine for 12 years after just cleaning it and giving it a light coat of CLP. It was just fine, no rust or anything. just don't store it in a hot, humid attic or garage.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#4]
You could always leave it with a close friend who will <cough..use...cough> store it for you  

Might actually lovingly wipe it down with some clp a couple of times a year.

Doc
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]
"Blue bags" which have a vapor that discourages corrosion.  I forget who makes these.

Take the rifle apart, detail clean it.

Get some LPS3 protectant spray.  This stuff sprays on like an oil, but the carrier evaporates leaving a greasy film, sorta like cosmoline.  Spray everything, all the nooks and crannies, bore, etc.

Put all int eh blue bags.  Store.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top