Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2004 7:24:01 AM EDT
So I took several rifles to the range a couple of weeks ago - I hadn't had a chance to site in my
deer rifle, and had acquired a couple of ARs since the last time I had gone shooting.

It took a while to get my 30 .06 sighted in, then I moved on to my RRA 20" A2 (which had been broken in previously).
I enjoyed firing it, so I shot most of the ammo I had brought with me through it.

I had about 30 rounds left, and thought I would try them out in my Bushmaster, so I slapped in the magazine and started slow-firing 30 rounds.....Then I realized that I hadn't broken the rifle in. I stopped, and thoroughly cleaned it when I got it home, but I fealt like a dumb-ass.

So 30 rounds down the pipe without properly breaking in the rifle - will that have a long term effect ?

Should I just start with the break-in at this point ?

Any other suggestions ?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:25:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Only thing you need to do is clean and make sure the Manufacturer grease isnt inhibiting anything!

Clean and lube and shoot again!

Break-in on a chrome lined barrel is a thing of the past.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Chrome lined barrels don't really require a break in period.  You should be OK.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#3]
No break-in required for std AR's, IMO.  Just shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:26:19 AM EDT
[#4]
The only 'break in' a Bushmaster needs it put rounds down the tube  - on the order of 200-300 rounds before any cleaning of the barrel.

You did nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#5]
yes, it is destroyed, send it to me for disposal
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#6]
+1
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#7]
even if it had been steel you would not have broken anything.
you can break in a barrel that has had many rounds fired thru it.

before you start you have to clean the crap out of it.

do 20 passes with brass brush that has been wrapped with a patch and then soaked in hopes or break free CLP.  Don’t use an ammonia based solvent.  Then run three dry patches.
Repeat 5 times or until patches come out “clean”.
At the end leave the barrel soaking wet with bore cleaner.  

Repeat the above for 5 consecutive days.

Then go and break in your barrel.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, that makes me feel better.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:37:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I read that break in was not needed at all. Its just a ploy to sell more barrels.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#10]

i can see chromed lining being hard and not worth breaking in but firing 100 rounds is not a ploy to sell more barrels.  the life of the barrel is +10,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#11]
It's probably ruined.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

do 20 passes with brass brush that has been wrapped with a patch and then soaked in hopes or break free CLP.  Don’t use an ammonia based solvent.  Then run three dry patches.

WHAT?    Where did this come from?  I'm not to sure bout this one.  Where did you get this information from?  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHAT?    Where did this come from?  I'm not to sure bout this one.  Where did you get this information from?  

why do people always have to get info from "somewhere"?  Can’t anyone come up with a new process or idea on their own?  take your chrome lined rifle out to the range with a 10x scope mounted on it and shoot 100 rounds using a good break-in procedure.  See if your first string is appreciably larger than your last.  I bet the group size stays the same.  Now try it with a new steel barrel.  I bet group size shrinks 50% given you are doing your job to keep it on target.  If you have access to an old rifle where 100 or so rounds have been fired and it was never broken in try the above cleaning procedure and try to break it in.  Again I bet group size will shrink.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, severe damage was done to this rifle!!!

I am the only one who knows how to make it serviceable again.

Send the rifle to me with all your ammo & mags.  

Since you are new, I will fix it this one time for free!

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

are you on crack???
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#16]
As long as you didnt bumpfire it underwater it should be fine.

Here is a little test to see if its ok....set up some targets at 100 yards or more....shoot at them....if you can hit them, then your rifle still does what it was designed to do.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
yes, it is destroyed, send it to me for disposal

bastard beat me to it

Ill send you a replacement colt
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

why do people always have to get info from "somewhere"?  Can’t anyone come up with a new process or idea on their own?  take your chrome lined rifle out to the range with a 10x scope mounted on it and shoot 100 rounds using a good break-in procedure.  See if your first string is appreciably larger than your last.  I bet the group size stays the same.  Now try it with a new steel barrel.  I bet group size shrinks 50% given you are doing your job to keep it on target.  If you have access to an old rifle where 100 or so rounds have been fired and it was never broken in try the above cleaning procedure and try to break it in.  Again I bet group size will shrink.

I gotta call bullshit on this one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Bushmaster = chromelined barrel = just shoot it for break in
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Do you sell bore cleaner, patches or bore brushes?

Does the break in then require the shoot 1 shot and clean again for 100 shots?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Pass me some of what you are smoking.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#22]
what a bunch of assholes.  fuck you all very much.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Don't blame us, You posted it.    
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#24]
1.  Barrel break-in is NOT *REQUIRED* on ANY BARREL.  PERIOD.

2.  Barrel break-in is a wasted effort on any chrome lined barrels.  It does NOTHING.

3.  Barrel break-in is a wasted effort for 90% of us shooters, even on stainless and chrome moly barrels, who arent building free floated target grade match barrels to do benchrest shooting on.

4.  Even if you are building a free floated, match grade, benchrest shooter.... it has not been definitively proven that using a break-in technique will increase the accuracy of said barrel.

5.  If after reading all this, you still want to perform a break-in of your barrel... just to get the most possible accuracy potential out of your barrel, then absolutely do it.... you wont hurt anything.  As to how.... there are several arguable methods.... but the point is, to fire one round, and as it passes down the bore, it will smooth out the machining edges and burrs when the rifle is made and the rifling is cut.  Then you must remove that copper that is laid down in the microscopic orifices.... I use a nylon brush, and a true ammonia based copper solvent.... scrubbing it well.  Then push several dry patches thru.... then repeat.  1 shot, then clean for 10 rounds.  Then 2 shots then clean for 10 rounds.  Then five shots then clean over the next 50 rounds.  Done.

Pointless?  Probably.  Shrink your groups by 50%?  Hardly!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#25]
BREAK IN?

HA HA HA!!

When is this break in crap going to dry up and blow away?

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#26]
hk940 - Where the hell did you get that info?  From your grand daddy's civil war rifle manual?

Just shoot the freaking rifle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I am posting my experience.  Not shit I read in guns and ammo or cut and pasted from some website.  If you don't agree with it that's fine but keep it civil.  You don't have to attack me because I say something different from your experience or what you have read on some chat board somewhere.  

Barrel break-in is a wasted effort for 90% of us shooters because 90% of shooters can’t shoot for shit! Not because it won’t help.  if you start out with a shitty marlin 30-30 or a Remington ADL you can’t make a tack driver out of it and if you start with a McMillan bench gun with a Lothar Walther, Hart or any other “target” barrel you won’t get much more out of it.  But if you start with a quality bolt action from a company like Remington or Winchester barrel break-in does help.  How do I know?  I have watched it happen on about 10 different guns.  As examples my AR-10 A4 and my M1A NM went from a 1.5” guns to a ¾” guns.  After being cleaned an older Weatherby Vanguard went from 2”-1”.  

the five day cleaning regement I added above is to clean those “machining edges and burrs when the rifle is made and the rifling is cut… and microscopic orifices....”  again these are my experiences.  If you don’t like it say so but don’t attack me for expressing a different opinion.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#28]
How should I break-in my new RRA upper? It is a chome moly barrel with no chome lining. What is the actual break in method?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
How should I break-in my new RRA upper? It is a chome moly barrel with no chome lining. What is the actual break in method?

oh fuck it!  just shoot the sumbitch!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#30]
When I first got married, I tried to put my wife thru a break in period.  It's been 8 years and I'm still waiting for her to start cooking and cleaning right.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

What is you definition of civil?

BTW, I prefer to be called a smart ass.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Being an asshole ain't all that bad, but NO you can't break me in.  Is that what your asking?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you on crack???

lol
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top