Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2004 7:17:57 AM EDT
Can I ship an AR 11.5 Pistol upper to Bronx, New York?  Are there any laws against this?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#1]
No law against you shipping it there.  

However it sounds like a shady deals as ARs are banned there (as in 'not allowed').
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#2]
theoretically it could be going to an FFL who is going to transfer it to someone outside the city limits
I'm 99% sure that before the AWB AR pistols were legal in NY State. Didn't the ban put in a weight limit for pistols? if so that's probably still in effect in NY since our AWB basically mirrored the feds but without the expiration clause.

edit: my post applies more to shipping a whole gun not just the upper. had a brain fart. I'll see if I can find anything about AR pistols in NY City, but I bet they're banned so it does seem fishy but I think the buyer would be the only one in trouble
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:37:26 AM EDT
[#3]

but I bet they're banned so it does seem fishy but I think the buyer would be the only one in trouble

That's what I'm thinking.....
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd say post this in the NY board too, might get someone that knows the law better than me
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#5]
NYS law prohibits pistols over the formerly Federal 50 oz limit. Bushy Carbon-15 pistols are legal in NYS, adding a normal upper would put this over the weight limit.

Between NYS and NYC law, there can be no legal proposed use for an 11.5" upper in NYC unless it was for a handgun registered prior to 09/94.

Unless you have a pre-94 registered pistol lower in NYS, I'd avoid playing with something like this.
NYS has no provision for NFA SBR's or the like.

Check with the NYS Rifle & Pistol Assn.  http://www.nysrpa.org/ , they have all of this on the website. http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/nypd/html/dclm/ldinfo.html is the NYC link.

Under NYC law the following is prohibited:

(c) Any part, or combination of parts, designed or redesigned or intended to readily convert a rifle or shotgun into an assault weapon.

An 11.5" upper would fall under that description  based on the text in the law, even if the item were being redirected out of the jurisdiction. Better to receive it elswhere if it is for use outside of the Empire State.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.............you guys have been very helpful!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top