Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/1/2004 8:35:28 PM EDT
I want to register my AR lower as an SBR.  Currently I have the Bushmaster 11.5, 5.5" combo barrel installed.  Upon aproval I would like to have my barrel cut down to 10.5" and threaded.  I have heard that anything under 11.5 inches causes reliabilty issues.  If so, just how bad?  I see these DPMS kitty Kat uppers and Carbon 15 pistols all with shorter barrels than 10.5 inches.  So, lets hear what you have to say!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't cut down your barrel. Buy a good quality 11.5 upper from colt or bushmaster. I have a 11.5 bushmaster upper on a machine gun lower and i have run the ever living shit out of it , i mean this upper would be happier in hell than for me run it for the afternoon.  IT HAS NEVER HAD A F--N PROBLEM. 20,000 to 30,000 throught it. beta mags, chinese 120round drums full dumps and it still runs. I hope this helped you make your desision.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
You could just get the 5.5" FS removed by someone like ADCO for $56 after the SBR is approved.  It's just screwed onto the threaded bbl and blind-pinned.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#3]
10-inch M16 working just fine

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I contacted Bushmaster about having the FS removed and they discouraged it.  They claimed it could dammage my crown, threads, and muzzle.  Of course they recommended buying a brand new barrel.  Not a big fan of that idea since my barrel only has less than 40 rounds put through it.  I guess I would rather work with what I've got, especialy since I can use this one until I get aproval.  Does ADCO have a website?  I would like to contact them.  Thanks for the replies so far.

Ben
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices.cfm

Good shooting!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy the 11.5/5.5 and remove the 5.5 when approved.   I've had that same Bushmaster set-up since '89.   Cut the 5.5" off in "99 myself.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#7]
SBR7_11,

Your pics arent showing up  How did you go about cutting it off yourself?

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top