Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/1/2004 7:07:40 AM EDT
I can't tell if its the PC latch that wore off some of the black coating on my RRA A4 upper, or the original alum. RRA latch because the metal looks fine its just the finish is slightly gone.

I talked to Randall Power and he says these latches have been sold to Special Forces for the past 6 years without any complaints and he hasn't seen any receiver wear on his test rifles.

I would like to hear from ARFCOM power custom latch users and read about your positive or negative comments.

I've only used it for about a month and 180 rounds. I pull the latch only to correct rifle malfunctions (mostly due to magazine feeding issues) and to check function when cleaning on the bench.

So far I've noted some small scratches on the ejection port side of the charging handle and some slight wear of the coating on the upper receiver.

I've polished the part of the latch that meets the receiver using 2000 grit sandpaper and it seems to help a lot.

I know the bulk of ARFCOM members go with the PRI Big Latch but the PC latch was on sale for $7 and I hated the stock latch because it was so small.

I do not pull the handle just by the latch but I pinch it using my index and thumb and pull back. Occaisonally I pull it using my left hand only and just pinch the left part of the charging handle (again, never by the latch itself).

The PC latch is definitely steel, but it polished easily using 2000 grit sandpaper. I'm not sure its exactly a hardened steel material (it shouldn't be since its contacting the softer aluminum receiver).
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:15:35 AM EDT
[#1]
After the discussion about the PRI latch and WHY its favored among all... I firmly believe its because the PRI Big Latch was designed so the shooter applies the same amount of torque to the same location that Stoner intended, therefore it keeps the charging handle "straight" as you pull it out.

With the Badger and even the Power Custom Extended latch, you pull it out at an angle and you can slightly bend the handle as you pull on it.

I've replaced the latch with the stock RRA aluminum latch and lubed the contact surfaces with Militec-1 to prevent premature receiver wear.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top