Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 8:37:30 PM EDT
Is it possible to put a OLY SUM barrel in a Colt chromlined chamber, or do both have to be chrome lined?

thank you
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#2]
i think your right
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The chamber is an integral part of the barrel. When you remove the barrel from the receiver the chamber comes with it

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
 "i don't care who you are,now that there was funny"
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is it possible to put a OLY SUM barrel in a Colt chromlined chamber, or do both have to be chrome lined?

thank you

The chamber is part of (cut into) the barrel...

Chrome and match guns don't mix anyway, that's why the SUM and all others are STAINLESS barrels...

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

thank you

No, nor can you get a SS barrel chrome lined.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thank you

I bet you could, but the cost would be prohibitive. At Quality Parts Corp/Bushmaster, at one time you could had the option of a chrome-lined, if so you have wait an extra 30-90 days, so that they can get enough orders for barrels to have it sent to a vendor to chrome the barrels in order to get the cost down.

Most of the Quality Parts Corp/Bushmaster barrels are now chrome-lined and the company calls them "match."
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:27:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thank you

I bet you could, but the cost would be prohibitive. At Quality Parts Corp/Bushmaster, at one time you could had the option of a chrome-lined, if so you have wait an extra 30-90 days, so that they can get enough orders for barrels to have it sent to a vendor to chrome the barrels in order to get the cost down.

Most of the Quality Parts Corp/Bushmaster barrels are now chrome-lined and the company calls them "match."

I am unaware of any company offering chrome as an option for a SUM barrel.  I was also unaware that SS could have an effective chrome lining done to it.  Can I take from your above comments that you are saying Bushmaster will chrome line a SS barrel, and that they are doing this often? I wasn't aware it was done at all, but if SS is easier and more consistant to machine, and chrome is harder....  Sounds interesting
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:11:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not  sure what Olys reason is, but last I knew they still weren't doing any of the barrels chrome lined.  To the best of my knowledge, they haven't done any production SS chrome lined barrels ever.  The only recent thing I can think of would be the DC, but I don't think that was done on any SS, it was 4140 only.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:27:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:35:06 AM EDT
[#13]
They had done some barrels in DuraChrome (DC).  I only played with one or two, it wasn't something that had a real high appeal to me, I figure standard chrome is working pretty well.  The MaxHard has more appeal at this point to me, but I'm still not 100% sold on that either.  Probably another topic for another thread, or maybe that is another angle for Ryu....

I have heard comments that SS can not be chromed in the same manner that 4140/4150 can be, and I thought it had been something to do with grain structure, but that is not an area I can answer myself, I simply don't have the knowledge.  

Hope that helps clear it up somewhat.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:07:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:10:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
DuraChrome got it. I'll check into the chroming of SS, interesting more for trivia but one never knows what may turn up on a search.

Sounds good, please post whatever answer you end up with.  I would hate to say it isn't done, only to find out it is done all the time and I'm oblivious.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:27:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top