Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 6:36:12 PM EDT
I just got my AR brl done yesterday and fired it yesterday and today!  No malfunctions, easy to sight in the EoTech and ARMS #40.  The rifle is a Bushmaster lower with complete Bush, A3 upper, 14.5" Phantom hider brl, the above sights and several mags.  Things that I found out:
1.  Out of the 400 rounds I shot the last two times out--Winchester Q3131A had no problems with primers or anything else; South African fires reall good, no malfunctions; and Spanish SS109 is loved by the rifle, no malfunctions.
2.  I like shooting the rifle with the EoTech and the rear sight up.  May end up geting a fixed BUIS when I can afford it and sell the ARMS # 40.
3.  I am a big fan of the AK and the FAL, now add the AR too
4.  I want to build a complete rifle from a kit and bare receiver.
5.  The EoTech really works great in the heavy raindownfall!
6.  The front grip and tac rail look good, but I could not get used to it so they are now going to a friend.
7.  Now I need a few other accessories such as the Magpull trigger guard, Badger charge handle, a Houge grip, and a lot more ammo

I want to say thanks to all those that have helped me figure what I wanted, where to go, and where to stay away from.  If I can get he camera to work I will get some picks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I ended up shooting the #40 in the up position most of the time today.  The fixed BUIS "look" to be sturdier.  I figured I would do a little reading and see what others do.

I originally was going to go with an Aimpoint but at the big Tulsa show last weekend I got to hold and look through both a EoTech and and Aimpoint.  The EoTech being lower, not needing a mount to add to the price and on my cousins first hand use of both in combat made the decision a little easier.

Next plan is a 20" Gov't for the wife, she likes the look and feel of the "BIGGER Rifle"

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#3]
dont get the badger tac latch!

i had it and every time you go to sling my ar it would jab me in the back or side. it protrudes too far out too.

also puts uneven leverage on the charging handle forcing it into the other side of the reciever... high wear item. also eats up the notch in the receiver that holds it closed

get the pri big latch!  best one there is that i have handle so far
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

i had it and every time you go to sling my ar it would jab me in the back or side. it protrudes too far out too.

also puts uneven leverage on the charging handle forcing it into the other side of the reciever... high wear item. also eats up the notch in the receiver that holds it closed

+1
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

The new Badger latch is supposed to be an improvement over the older one, but I am now a fan of the PRI Big Latch. Here is a pic of what an old Badger latch did to one of my uppers:

If any more material had been removed this upper would have needed replacement-fortunately I caught it in time. Unfortunately one of my RRA uppers wasn't so lucky-so much material had been removed that the charging handle wouldn't lock

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1

Waz
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:24:54 AM EDT
[#7]
My stock aluminum latch was wearing out the receiver like you showed in the pic.

If the PRI latch is steel, it will do the same. I polished the latching edge of my Power Custom extended latch and its much smoother now. I will keep an eye on it just in case.

I want to build a complete rifle from a kit and bare receiver

That's what I did, I started with a stripped lower receiver and worked my way up. I didn't use a parts kit though. Instead, I ordered the parts that I wanted separately as needed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:03:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
get the pri big latch

All of my rifles have the big latch, some even have the Gas Buster CH, but that's not really needed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:29:36 AM EDT
[#9]

If the PRI latch is steel, it will do the same. I polished the latching edge of my Power Custom extended latch and its much smoother now. I will keep an eye on it just in case.

I think the geometry of the PRI latch is just different enough to not aggressively attack the upper when the charging handle returns to the locked position. To test this theory I have had a rifle in my lap while watching a DVD and cycled the charging handle continuously for hours. Aside from minimal wear to the anodizing nothing bad has happened. I'm sure that *eventually* it could wear out the notch, but not nearly as quickly as the old Badger latch did.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:34:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I see... the PRI is more like the stock latch in terms of applied force at the handle/latch.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:38:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I see... the PRI is more like the stock latch in terms of applied force at the handle/latch.

Yes. In fact, that's probably the best way to describe it that I've seen so far
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top