Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 8:29:05 AM EDT
How can you tell what kind of chamber/bore is in a Colt (+/-chrome +/- SAAMI)?  I have found no clear definitive guidance on the subject, but some confusing non-convincing information on some sites.....anyone know how to tell?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I purchased my AR in 1994. I can see the chrome chamber when I break it down. I think Colt stopped chrome lining in the late 1990's.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#2]
colt only chromes chambers in their 20inch Bbl's, and they chrome chamber and bore in their 16 & 14.5 BBl's. I own the 20inch, the important thing to me was the chamber being chrome. I have found when in doubt if chrome lining, clean the chamber well and use a blueing pen, you can also try that in the bore by useing it at teh muzzle, you will hav to take the f/s off to do this.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#3]
according ot the nice folks when I ordered mine wednesday all new colts except for the match target rifles are chrome lined. They skipped a few years in there but I don't know which ones.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to say, but most of the above info is mistaken!

for example - MT6400C has a chrome bore and chamber 16" barrel (M4 style)
                      MT6700 has a chrome chamber only 20" barrel (HBAR)
                      MT6551 has a chrome bore and chamber 20" barrel (A2)
                      MT6601 has a chrome chamber only 20" barrel (HBAR)

I could probably go on and on. There is no carved in stone rule for Colt, and everytime you try to come up with some kind of standard they'll go and break it!

The bluing pen idea is a very good one, especially for a person who isn't used to checking these barrels out for chrome or not.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#5]
what is a bluing pen?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what is a bluing pen?

Its used to touch up scratches or mars on blued gun finishes. Looks like a thin magic marker or a transparency marker. Check your local gun shop or Brownell's.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what is a bluing pen?

Its used to touch up scratches or mars on blued gun finishes. Looks like a thin magic marker or a transparency marker. Check your local gun shop or Brownell's.

Or just get a regular bottle of instant blue, and use a Q Tip to check for chrome.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#8]
So, pardon the ignorance, but exactly what is one looking for with the bluing pen?  And does anyone know about the chambers SAAMI vs NATO?  Thanks SOA
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#9]
blueing won't color chrome......  but it will color the steel if it's not chromed.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I could probably go on and on. There is no carved in stone rule for Colt, and everytime you try to come up with some kind of standard they'll go and break it!

The bluing pen idea is a very good one, especially for a person who isn't used to checking these barrels out for chrome or not.

Lots of barrles being sold in equipment exhange,  aren't Colt gov. profile 1:7 chrome lined?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#11]

There is no carved in stone rule for Colt, and everytime you try to come up with some kind of standard they'll go and break it!

The freaking spreadsheet program on my PC isn't powerful enough to keep up with all of Colt's variations I think we'd need a Cray supercomputer to keep track of it all.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

There is no carved in stone rule for Colt, and everytime you try to come up with some kind of standard they'll go and break it!

The freaking spreadsheet program on my PC isn't powerful enough to keep up with all of Colt's variations I think we'd need a Cray supercomputer to keep track of it all.

or just go to the bigger hammer
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:30:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There is no carved in stone rule for Colt

That's for sure!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of barrles being sold in equipment exhange,  aren't Colt gov. profile 1:7 chrome lined?

All of the Colt "gov. profile" (I call them A2 barrels or GI barrels) that I've seen are 1:7 chrome lined, but that doesn't mean a thing! For example, Fulton Armory advertises Colt A2 chrome lined barrels with a 1:12 twist. I believe that several arfcom members have purchased them.

As I said before, nothing that Colt does is carved in stone .
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top