Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 7:42:26 AM EDT
I have two questions concerning the building of an AR-15.
1. With some machinist skills, can a standard AR-15 (semi-auto) lower, be modified into a NFA, M-16 full auto lower?
2. I understand that M-16 parts (sear, trigger, hammer, bolt etc.) in an AR-15 lower are illegal, but are AR-15 parts in a M-16 lower legal?

What I would like to do is buy an AR-15 lower (Stag, Oly, or what ever), build it, shoot it, apply for a NFA Tax Stamp, and convert it to a 4x selector mode CAR-15.

Keep’m in the black ring, “Scum Row 39”

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't do it. The reason that M16 lowers are, like, $10k plus, is that they are pre "machine gun ban" that became law during the Reagan administration (86?). The law stated that new machine guns couldn't be produced for civilian use even if someone was willing to apply, register, and pay the $200 fee.

Now, if you're an FFL with a Class 3 manufacturing licence, you can make yourself a machine gun. In that case, you are producing that machine gun only for military or law enforcement sale.

Sorry, man. You're stuck with AR-15s like the rest of us.

Final suggestion: if you're young, and you have the guts, go join the IDF (Israeli Defence Force). You can sign up for a short tour and then shoot all the automatic weapons you want.

OUT

NOTE: anyone else, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you fuckin serious?  

Why do you think that M16s are $10,000 if anyone could just build a new one?  

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have two questions concerning the building of an AR-15.
1. With some machinist skills, can a standard AR-15 (semi-auto) lower, be modified into a NFA, M-16 full auto lower?
2. I understand that M-16 parts (sear, trigger, hammer, bolt etc.) in an AR-15 lower are illegal, but are AR-15 parts in a M-16 lower legal?

What I would like to do is buy an AR-15 lower (Stag, Oly, or what ever), build it, shoot it, apply for a NFA Tax Stamp, and convert it to a 4x selector mode CAR-15.

Keep’m in the black ring, “Scum Row 39”

Yes it can be done. Unfortunately you are 18 years too late to do it legally as non-licensee.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a forum here under the AR15 Forums header that is called "M16-Full Auto."

Suprisingly enough, you will find discusion of M16's and fully automatic weapons there.  And, tacked at the top, are lots of informational links on the legalities of M16's

BTW, the short answer is yes, but unfortunatley very illegal so NO.

Tex78
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Can't do it. The reason that M16 lowers are, like, $10k plus, is that they are pre "machine gun ban" that became law during the Reagan administration (86?). The law stated that new machine guns couldn't be produced for civilian use even if someone was willing to apply, register, and pay the $200 fee.

Now, if you're an FFL with a Class 3 manufacturing licence, you can make yourself a machine gun. In that case, you are producing that machine gun only for military or law enforcement sale.

Sorry, man. You're stuck with AR-15s like the rest of us.

Final suggestion: if you're young, and you have the guts, go join the IDF (Israeli Defence Force). You can sign up for a short tour and then shoot all the automatic weapons you want.

OUT

NOTE: anyone else, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above.

Unless you are Jewish, you aren't welcome in the IDF. Considering that he is in America, and America is at war, maybe joining the U.S. military is a better option.

Like everyone else said, building your own M-16 is a great way to land yourself in prison for 10 years. Registration is not possible.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would an American join the IDF when he can join the World's best equipped and trained army
If I want to shoot the real rifles all I want, I rather do it where it counts.hug.gif
I have deep respect for IDF, but I hardly think it's better than the army of big ol' USA.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top