Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2004 10:10:36 AM EDT
I'm new to the forum and plan to buy my first AR in the next couple of months.  What's the general thought on whether one should get a mil-spec rifle, or at least what parts is it important to have mil-spec?  

I've gathered that the receiver pins should be mil-spec for maximum versatility in changing uppers, but is there anything else I should be keeping my eye on when purchasing?  I've been thinking specifically about the RRA Entry Tactical or the 6920.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not aware of any Mil-Spec AR15
All jokes aside, your questions can be answered via the search function. And stick with Bushmaster, Colt, RRA or LMT.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Your are correct about push pins being one item. Colt used a screw set up for a long time. Colt also used oversized trigger group pins, and a plastic buffer inside the buffer tube. Other companys did things too. If you stick with current Bushmaster, RRA, and LE Colt rifles you'll do fine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Im a Smith For ADCO Firearms and we use 95% Rock River parts, The rifles are great and a smidge cheaper than Bushies or Colt. I cant say ive ever come across A rock river that Wasnt  of Extremely High quality. Basically unless its an M16 its not Mil-Spec, but RRA Buchmaster Colt LMT and such are all Considered to be "Mil-Spec" and are all compatible with all Mil-Spec parts.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Mil-Spec isn't always a good thing , many times it is geared more towards
durability over quality .

AR's are so customizable , you should really do some research on what it is
you want it to do . Now that the ban is gone ( For You ) any good quality lower
would be a good place to start . From there is where you tailor it to your wants and needs .
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#5]
mil-spec is a good benchmark or reference point, that's all it is for me!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Mil-spec is a set of requirements (demsions) that the government approves! the contract pretty much states in order to build a M16 it has to meet goverment standards. true NO ar15 is mil-spec because of the lower is NOT machined to m16 specs but every part sence the AW ban expired that you can have everything up to Mil-spec BUT the lower rec.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top