Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2004 6:17:49 AM EDT
I've tried searching the threads but haven't found an answer yet.  I just installed my phantom 5c2 and was able to time it correctly, but I did notice that there is a gap between the very tip of the muzzle and the rear of the flash hidder.  Is this normal, or should I try to crank the phantom down one more turn or so?  I haven't fired the rifle yet for fear of blowing the phantom off the barrel.  One more thing, I never took the time to check whether the A2 had the same gap or not.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:23:28 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've tried searching the threads but haven't found an answer yet.  I just installed my phantom 5c2 and was able to time it correctly, but I did notice that there is a gap between the very tip of the muzzle and the rear of the flash hidder.  Is this normal, or should I try to crank the phantom down one more turn or so?  I haven't fired the rifle yet for fear of blowing the phantom off the barrel.  One more thing, I never took the time to check whether the A2 had the same gap or not.

Pic please. Seeing as the tip of the muzzel would be under and infront of the rear of the FS.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry but no digital photo capabilities right now.  What I was trying to explain is that the phantom is not tightened down all the way against the tip of the barrel.  Should I just keep cranking on it or just leave it?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sorry but no digital photo capabilities right now.  What I was trying to explain is that the phantom is not tightened down all the way against the tip of the barrel.  Should I just keep cranking on it or just leave it?

IF there is space between the FS and the crush washer/barrel yes. there should be no space between the crushwasher/barrel and the FS. at least not on any that I have seen. Do  a search for phantoms and there should be a few threads with pics. You'll see what I mean than.

ETA: here is a pic TexasGunman posted in another phantom thread, this might help a bit.

TexasGunman let me know if you want me to pull this, I just poied it out of another thread.

Notice there is no space between the barrel, crushwasher, and FS.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:48:50 AM EDT
[#4]
No there is no space between the crush washer and FS, I noticed the gap in the interior of the FS as if looking through the FS down the barrel.  I really wish I had a picture to show what I mean.  There is about a 4mm gap between the very tip of the muzzle and the rear of the FS.  If I look with a flash light, I can actually see some of the FS threads.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#5]
You will have a space there and that is ok.  Less is better.  If you are using peel washers you can see if using a thinner set will allow it to close the gap and still index properly.  If not, you have the smallest gap you are going to get - go shoot it.  Over tightening it is never the answer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you very much.  I appreciate all the help.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine is the same way and I'm not worried about it.

And I've shot it like this with no issues.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No there is no space between the crush washer and FS, I noticed the gap in the interior of the FS as if looking through the FS down the barrel.  I really wish I had a picture to show what I mean.  There is about a 4mm gap between the very tip of the muzzle and the rear of the FS.  If I look with a flash light, I can actually see some of the FS threads.

Ok I got yah now, yah that will be there on some guns, on some it will be smaller on others it will be more. I have that same thing on mine, nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#9]

FWIW

Smith Enterpeises told me that a Vortex must be tight against the barrel or it will not work properly.  I would think that less is better but with having to index them (Phantom or A2) it seems like it would just be blind luck to have it tight against the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#10]
mine has the small gap, shoots fine
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top