Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2004 5:30:05 AM EDT
I recently purchased my first AR-15. h
Will it shoot Winchester 45gr. (white box) ammo in reasonable groups, at 100 yards?
Reasonable = 1" groups @ 100 yards. Is this rate of twist to quick for this light weight bullet?

Your opinions and experience is appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:42:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I posted a similar question a few days ago in the ammo section.  Check it out.  A few guys responded with good real-world info.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:44:12 AM EDT
[#2]
It may not shoot out of the box ammo with your expectations, but with handloads you can tune it right in.  Then again it might shoot them the way you want.  Barrels are picky beasts and while one may shoot what you want, the way you want, the very next barrel down the assembly line may be the exact opposite.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Barrels are picky beasts .

Just like women
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:42:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I recently purchased my first AR-15.
It's a RRA with a Free-Float tube over a 16" SS Varmint barrel that has a 1:8 twist.

Will it shoot Winchester 45gr. (white box) ammo in reasonable groups, at 100 yards?

Mare than likely it will be MOA, maybe even sub-MOA, but there are no guarantees.  You gotta just try it.

Is this rate of twist to quick for this light weight bullet?

Nope.  It's close... but that ammo shoots fine in my RRA 1:8 varmint.  As long as it doesnt fly apart as it exits the muzzle, there is no "too quick" for a barrel.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the replies, gentlemen!

I'm going to be chasing coyotes and groundhogs with this weapon and would like to get some reasonable groups, at the yardages that I intend to hunt. So, I'll just have to purchase a box or two of some other brands and see what happens.Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy a 20 round box of each type you can find, if one doesn't work out and choose what suits you best.... if your not into reloading.

I'd stick to accuracy as a guide, velocity is better unless you can't hit it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I shot my rig for the first time on friday. It has the RRA 16" SS The only ammo I had to use was XM 193. The main objective was to sight the BUI's and tune the optics in. I was really amazed that it held right at 1"(I was using 1" squares) Once adjusted, it was keeping them(I should say I)within the square. I changed the optic, has a Leupold mildot  now.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
there are better attack rounds than 45jhp...  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Considering he mentioned varmint hunting with it, you must be smoking something you shouldn't be.

Tim
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yep, 45 grain Ballistic Tips or V-Max.

It's for dogs.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]
i have a 20" ss bull barrel with the 1x8 twist and so far at 100yds the best group is done with 68gr black hill blue box.

this is compared to 55gr bh,55 q3131a, ss109, and some others forgot what .

i have a few boxes of the ballistic ammo in 45 and 55 that are awaiting testing.

but so sub moa with the 68gr black hills, but i probably wouldnt try using it to hunt varmits though
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top