Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2004 10:15:31 PM EDT
The last barrel I installed from J&t shot without any problems. I have no headspace gauges to check this new one. Should I just take it out and shoot it? I think it is a shaw barrel. My AR dosen't have very many rounds through it, I don't know if that matters. It seems to chamber rounds ok.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:55:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:31:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The last barrel I installed from J&t shot without any problems. I have no headspace gauges to check this new one. Should I just take it out and shoot it? I think it is a shaw barrel. My AR dosen't have very many rounds through it, I don't know if that matters. It seems to chamber rounds ok.
Thanks

I'm no expert, but here is what I do.  

If the rifle chambers rounds OK, I go to the range and load a mag with three rounds.  Chamber one round and shoot.  If the next round chambers ok, remove mag, and chambered round and inspect.  If everything looks good, load mag with 3 rounds.  chamber one round and shoot.  If the next round shoots, shoot the 2nd round.  If it chambers the 3rd round, inspect and shoot.  If everything goes well, you shoule be able to shoot the shit out of it after that.  Just make sure to inspect everything.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:38:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't worry about it. Install the barrel and shoot.  As Rusty69 already said, check the casing of first three fired rounds for abnormal appearance, if all looks fine, then you're good to go.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Stal,

If it gives you peace of mind, make a post in the AZ section, and see if another member can meet you at the range and gauge them for you.

In real life, I seriously doubt you would have any problems.  Seeing if a round will load, and extract without firing it would be my first choice if I didn't have gauges.  If it worked, I would go with firing a few rounds one at a time, and checking the casings.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Im no expert, but here is what I do.  

If the rifle chambers rounds OK, I go to the range and load a mag with three rounds.  Chamber one round and shoot.  If the next round chambers ok, remove mag, and chambered round and inspect.  If everything looks good, load mag with 3 rounds.  chamber one round and shoot.  If the next round shoots, shoot the 2nd round.  If it chambers the 3rd round, inspect and shoot.  If everything goes well, you shoule be able to shoot the shit out of it after that.  Just make sure to inspect everything.

Thanks,
I will try that. Sounds logical to me. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#6]
If it chambers a round, just shoot it.  Examine brass.  Done.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top