Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2004 8:34:16 PM EDT

Which is best as far as over all barrel durability?

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Stainless would be the most durable. And it won't rust...ever.

Chrome lined barrels are good because the inside won't rust. (Just found this out myself)

I think chrome moly is what most of the barrels are made from. Usually you can get chrome moly barrels chrome lined. Overall I know SS is better. Stronger and will never rust. And chrome lining is good (not needed on a SS barrel).
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Chrome lined will far outlast any other barrel on an AR-15.  They are rumored to be slightly less accurate, but for the vast majority of shooting chrome is the only way to go.

Sarge
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Stainless would be the most durable. And it won't rust...ever.

Chrome lined barrels are good because the inside won't rust. (Just found this out myself)

I think chrome moly is what most of the barrels are made from. Usually you can get chrome moly barrels chrome lined. Overall I know SS is better. Stronger and will never rust. And chrome lining is good (not needed on a SS barrel).

Can anyone recommend some companies to get a chrome moly barrel chrome lined?  What should I expect to get this done (and done right)?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Chrome lining can't be done after the fact.  The chrome is taken into account when the bore and chamber are cut.  Buy a chrome barrel to begin with.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:41:22 AM EDT
[#5]
chrome lined
then stainless
then regular chromemoly
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top