Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2004 3:13:55 PM EDT
Just recently I have thought about buying myself a nice rifle.  In trying to gather as much information as possible, I have run into a problem.  While the Fed ban has been lifted, the State of Connecticut ban is still in affect.  I am looking to find out what the better rifle would be for a first time buyer and a buyer who  would prefer to have the Colt AR.  I have been looking at the bushmaster M4 models.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Just buy any Post Ban style rifle and you're OK in CT.  Our law pretty much resembles the federal law but without the 10 round magazine limit.

Quoted:
Just recently I have thought about buying myself a nice rifle.  In trying to gather as much information as possible, I have run into a problem.  While the Fed ban has been lifted, the State of Connecticut ban is still in affect.  I am looking to find out what the better rifle would be for a first time buyer and a buyer who  would prefer to have the Colt AR.  I have been looking at the bushmaster M4 models.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
bushmaster makes a good AR, i got the m4 style 16inch.
havent had a problem with mine. but just got a colt too, havent shot it tho. but the BM is a good rifle, and the costomer service is great.  the CT AWB sucks ay?
but deffitnally go with either the BM or the colt. cant go wrong with either
hope to help

bbr
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa2x14m4my.asp
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info so far.  What Colt model do you have buddy?  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
got the match target M4, MT6400C.

bbr
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:26:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds good.  I will look into it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess another question to go along with this would be,  Which manufacturer has the best upgrades and which models have the most upgrades?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:01:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I guess another question to go along with this would be,  Which manufacturer has the best upgrades and which models have the most upgrades?

Ouch... that's a heavy question!

In terms of "upgrades", any AR should be able to take any upgrade.  Back Up Iron Sights?  Yep.  Handguards and Foreends, yep.

If you pick up a Bushie M4 style, you can slap anything you have seen on it.... as long as you obey the CT ban (No tele stocks, flashhider, etc)

My first upgrade on a new AR is a nice grip.  I like Hogue... very simple!

- BG
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info.  The state ban is still in affect so to my knowledge I cant own a pre ban.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#11]
All so called 'Assault Weapons' had to registered by a certain date in 1993.  Upon registration you received a 'Certificate of Possession' which allowed you to use it.  I know of three people (2 cops) that did not register their scary looking rifles...
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#12]
OK, if you can get a dealer to transfer a pre ban in CT AR type other than Colt AR-15 I have heard that is ok. Now I have asked several dealers and they refused. Anyway I have enough black rifles. Atleast we don't have a screwedup mag restriction. It's interesting I bought a M1A and it's ok to have a flash hider on that.  If you stay with the A B C, Armalite, Bushmaster and Colt you can't go wrong. Hey Rock River is good too!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I really appreciate the information.  I am either going to go with either one of the bushmaster M4 models or the Colt  Match Target M4.  Im not sure yet.  I want to be able to change the handguards as well so that I can have rails on all four sides  or something similiar to that.  I guess the other question is which handle do I go with, A2,A3 or flat top.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Guns banned by name in 1993 are still banned. The Colt AR15 and Sporter are listed by name, however Bushmaster has no models listed and therfore are legal, provided it is either a pre 1994 or has non of the Evil features ( more than 2 of the following  pistol grip, detachable mag, flash hider, baynet lug, folding or collapsable stock.)of the 2001 amendment.

Other Prebans that are legal (1994 models) would be any other type of AR as long as it doens't say Colt on it.

See these

www.state.ct.us/dps/SLFU/FirearmsAssaultWeaponsList.htm

http://www.ctsportsmen.com/issues/assault_weapon_bill.htm
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#15]
What do you mean by detachable mag?   I thought all of the mags came out.

Gotta love the state of connecticut.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What do you mean by detachable mag?   I thought all of the mags came out.

Exactly!  

Gotta love the state of connecticut.

Looking to transfer out...
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
...for those who are stuck in commie states ...

CJ

You can say that again.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I would love to transfer out if it meant me being able to own an AR15.  The more research I do the more confused on what i should get.  I know I cant go wrong with any of those models.  I just want to make sure I get the best rifle for the money and be able to mod it.   I appreciate the info.

Why do the call that Colt model Match Target?

I would also like to know if the KAC RIS fits on the bushmaster and the  match target model?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:04:49 AM EDT
[#19]
If you are confused, I'd be happy to go over the laws with you by phone. Email me and I'll give you my number. John
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I am having trouble sending an email.  Is it possible for you to post the Connecticut Law or do your best explaining it?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top