Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2004 11:21:33 AM EDT
No ARs. I did notice the Glocks CJ was carrying with the Clinton crap mags. He could of survived if he had the origional 13 round G21 mags. They must been in Occupied Territory aka AWB Territory. Damn Zombies!!!! I have to watch it again.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#1]

NO ARs? What good is it then?

There were plenty in Day of the dead.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No ARs. I did notice the Glocks CJ was carrying with the Clinton crap mags. He could of survived if he had the origional 13 round G21 mags. They must been in Occupied Territory aka AWB Territory. Damn Zombies!!!! I have to watch it again.

No they were suposed to be here in Wisconsin, where Hi-caps and ARs are perfectly fine, Andy had an MP5 but it never showed up in the movie.

I was very disapointed, being that I'm a Wisconsin AR shooter, and knowing just how freaking many AR shooters/owners are in this state you'd think there would have been one at least, if not at leat an AK or SKS or something.

That was the biggest disapointment in that movie though, the selection of firearms used.

ETA: Everyone I know that shoots(and is into guns) has at least one AR or AK in thier collection. Including some of the "hunters" and "shotgunners"
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#3]
the new resident evil had some AR action in it. and some accuracy international in it too
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I think there was some, in that scene "news clip" where they were in fron of what looked like the white house.  i could be wrong it happened real quick and I didnt go back to verify
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn I love that movie.  I saw the originals too many times, and saw this remake 4 times in the theater.  

The DVD extras are pretty neat too...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#6]
So if no ARs what was there...only glocks? Surely there was more than that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Extras were great! Wifey and I laid down late last night to watch them, and during the news report, I nearly found myself checking the windows every few minutes. That repoerter was convinving as hell.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The white house scene had 16's.. Looked like the diplomatic protection types, too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I spent my time watching the movie loading bulk ammo onto stripper clips.
I also had Max Brook's book,"The Zombie Survival Handbook" on my coffee table, totally by accident. One of the extras credited "Special thanks to Max Brooks"
[suspend reality]I agree with almost everything Mr. Brooks says, except he thinks that the M-16 family is too unreliable and their plastic stocks are too flimsy to stand up to close combat.He contradicts himself by saying that a semi-auto rifle will make you waste ammo, but then he recommends the M-1 carbine as the perfect zombie gun.I do agree with him about the crowbar being a perfect close combat weapon.[/suspend reality]
It seems that everybody had an M-16 in the original Dawn of the Dead and the followup, Day of the Dead. The director said that the guy that supplied the weapons for the remake kept trying to push Desert Eagles and other "movie" guns for the heroes. Maybe AR's are too cool for movies nowadays?
It was a little sad that in the original, there was a gun store in the mall, nowadays that would be unheard of but at least there was a fun store nearby.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:48:16 PM EDT
[#10]
When they busted into the gun shop towards the end if u look in the background there was an entire row of AR's but no they went for the .357, 9mm, and 12gauges. Sad.............
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:35:48 AM EDT
[#11]

ONe thing cool about the original Dawn of the Dead was that they showed us a new way to shoot the AR-15. The new form was right hand on the pistol grip and left hand on the carry while shooting from the hip. The film showed this seem to be a really accurate way of shooting. Making head shots look easy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:40:16 AM EDT
[#12]
casue the govt already took em!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#13]
When they were at Andy's, they didn't have the time to group at 25 yds and dial an AR in.  I'd have gone straight for the shotguns too.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#14]
At the range they were shooting the dead heads, no need to zero
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I've seen a "chicken wing" before but that bottom pic must be the "flying chicken"!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
When they busted into the gun shop towards the end if u look in the background there was an entire row of AR's but no they went for the .357, 9mm, and 12gauges. Sad.............

Just a fanwank but maybe they wanted to stick with what they knew, rather than trying to learn a  new manual of arms.  Would you really want to learn the quirks of a new gun under the stress of a zombie attack?  Heck, even switching brands of pump shotguns can fuxor some people up when under pressure (safety, slide release in different areas etc).
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#17]
whenever i watch these kind of movies while i load my mags i always wonder "how come this kind of stuff never happens to me?"
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Not true.  I watched every scene inside Andy's gun store frame by frame to check this out.  No sign of a single black rifle.  There are racks of non-military-based rifles in the background but not one I could definitively say had even a pistol grip.

The director said in the Commentary that his armorer was continually suggesting cool movie guns and how he had to shoot those ideas down because he wanted weapons to reflect what the characters would have.  He said that firearms were really not much of a help anyway against DOTD-04 zombies.  They let you go maybe 50 yards, from one door to the next.  After that you'd be toast.  To paraphrase the director, "It is the Apocolypse, afterall."

Odd how no one stumbled across Andy's MP-5, however...
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, silly everybody knows that the AR-15 in 5,56mm has stopping power issues with zombies-In the first movie they moved slow enough that you could get away in time. In the new movie they are to fast to stake you life on with an AR-15. Why do you think the army base that Ving Rhames was going too got wiped out: Because they had the slow to stop AR15/M16 series to combat zombies with and got their butts kicked, it was just not worth showing the slaughter (another government coverup of the inadequacy of the 5,56mm); Now if those M-16's that the military had were in 6,8mm well I think it would have had a happier ending................
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#20]
No AR-15s-Simple, it must have been based on California.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Let's face it.  A 12 guage will make a head explode more dramatically than an 5.56 round. It was done for effect.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Ever notice in the original Dawn of the Dead that the M16s used were AP15s in 22 rimfire.  Look at the bottom of the 20 round 5.56 magazines and you'll see the floorplate of the 22 magazine.  IIRC, many of the other firearms used were rimfire also.  Although, Tom Savini at the end had a Thompson.  Very cool movie!

Dan
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#23]
i didn't even know it was a remake
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Shaun of the Dead was better.  In my view, the best zombie movie out there.  Only thing that would have made it better would have been some gratuitous nudity.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#25]
nude zombies ???   (mods....we need a zombie animation)
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:35:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Shaun of the Dead was better.  In my view, the best zombie movie out there.  Only thing that would have made it better would have been some gratuitous nudity.

Reserve judgement until you've seen "The Return of the Living Dead." Scream Queen Linnea Quigley writhing nude atop a stone coffin should fulfill the above requirement.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reserve judgement until you've seen "The Return of the Living Dead." Scream Queen Linnea Quigley writhing nude atop a stone coffin should fulfill the above requirement.

That was a good scene, Return of the Living Dead I thought was kinda slack though
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true.  I watched every scene inside Andy's gun store frame by frame to check this out.  No sign of a single black rifle.  There are racks of non-military-based rifles in the background but not one I could definitively say had even a pistol grip.

The director said in the Commentary that his armorer was continually suggesting cool movie guns and how he had to shoot those ideas down because he wanted weapons to reflect what the characters would have.  He said that firearms were really not much of a help anyway against DOTD-04 zombies.  They let you go maybe 50 yards, from one door to the next.  After that you'd be toast.  To paraphrase the director, "It is the Apocolypse, afterall."

Odd how no one stumbled across Andy's MP-5, however...

First off, the chances one of them would have an AR or AK or the like, being that this is set in Wisconsin is pretty damn high. Every gun owner I know has at least one evil rifle. So chances are, these are the types of guns the charecters would have if they owned guns. Also most of the PDs around here are or have replaced their shotties with AR's or Mini30's(Caladonia) So the cop not having an AR is just wrong IMO. Also in the blue, thats just bullshit. Working together, a small well armed group could infact put a massive hurting on them zombies. And when you consider that for the most part of the movie they are holed up in a mall which keeps them and the zombies apart. They could have thinned the heard so to speak.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:12:13 AM EDT
[#29]
The whole movie was riddled with inconsistencies but overall it was pretty fun for a "what if" excercise.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:48:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The whole movie was riddled with inconsistencies but overall it was pretty fun for a "what if" excercise.

I agree

Though we in the SF(that would be Survival Forum) could write a better one
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#31]
There were no AR's cuz all the AR owners were either stuffing their fat asses or online visiting this site to discuss which flash hider to use!

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#32]
There might have been no black rifles in the gun store because they filmed those scenes at a gun store in Montreal. In the commentary, the producer/director was talking about how in Canada gun owners had to show their gun ownership ID card at a window before they could even go into the store. He said it reminded him of an adult book store.
If it were me, I would have taken more time snooping around Andy's to look for neat stuff. I can't believe he didn't have a pallet of MRE's squirreled away somewhere. If he had MRE's he had a perfect place to stay until it blew over. Zombies only "live" for a couple of weeks depending on the season.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
There might have been no black rifles in the gun store because they filmed those scenes at a gun store in Montreal. In the commentary, the producer/director was talking about how in Canada gun owners had to show their gun ownership ID card at a window before they could even go into the store. He said it reminded him of an adult book store.
If it were me, I would have taken more time snooping around Andy's to look for neat stuff. I can't believe he didn't have a pallet of MRE's squirreled away somewhere. If he had MRE's he had a perfect place to stay until it blew over. Zombies only "live" for a couple of weeks depending on the season.

I often wondered this. I mean they do "eat" people right, so that would indicate that if they don't "eat" then eventually they would "starve". So how long would it take? The only way to know would be to trap one(ala 28 days later) and hold it in a secure area and study it.

But does the eating of people really do anything for them? Is there any difinitive answer to this?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
There were no AR's cuz all the AR owners were either stuffing their fat asses or online visiting this site to discuss which flash hider to use!

I think this thread is about ready for the GD forum.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think this thread is about ready for the GD forum.

Nah not yet.

Ok here I'll bring it back around. Besides the fact that they won't be accessable because of NFA laws but Zombies would be the perfect thing to use shorty ARs on. You don't need to worry about fragmentation range or anything like that, so the short 10.5 barrels would just help with mobility. no need for a 16in barrel or anything bigger since as the director said 50 yards and all would be about the longist range(BS) you engage them at.  Hell a 10.5 inch barreled SAW would be even berrter. Of course you would have to use a 5C2 Phantom so that if it got down and dirty and close you could stab the zombies with the FS in the eye or something
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#36]
in the bonus clip of Andy's video journal on the DVD, he has an MP5 and some sort of "sniper rifle" although I couldn't tell what it was.

Also he said that he tried "thinning out the numbers" and spent whole days shooting zombies but every time he killed one, two more would show up. I mean if you have a whole city of zombies converging on a mall where a few people are left, 10 armed guys aren't gonna make a dent on 100,000+ zombies.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
in the bonus clip of Andy's video journal on the DVD, he has an MP5 and some sort of "sniper rifle" although I couldn't tell what it was.

Also he said that he tried "thinning out the numbers" and spent whole days shooting zombies but every time he killed one, two more would show up. I mean if you have a whole city of zombies converging on a mall where a few people are left, 10 armed guys aren't gonna make a dent on 100,000+ zombies.

Part of it is they are drawn to noise. A supressor would have been a big help. But even than, you can thin them out if you got time and ammo. They move around based on "memories" so people that frequented the mall a lot would go there, but not everything would. I still think it would work(thinning the heards) but you have to light them on fire too eventually and burn the bodies I'm sure if you get a big enough blaze going you'd be ok.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Finally, justification for my AR pistol! Other than it's cool looking and neat as heck..
I read a couple of interesting books the other month.
The Zombie Survival Handbook by Max Brooks
Stiffs:The Interesting Lives of Human Cadavers by Sarah(?) Roach
In Stiffs, my suspicions were confirmed that the heart and brain can live independently from each other for several seconds as long as oxygenated blood flows through them. Each chapter is broken into different ways scientists and doctors use human corpses. There was a chapter about ballistics research and I think they were testing the 6.8mm round on ballistic gelatin. Ballisticians don't like to use corpses, their consistency is too varied. They do put pig bones in ballistic gelatin sometimes.
In the Zombie SG, Brooks talks about ficticious research on zombies, they eat out of habit, not nutrition. The virus(?) destroys most of the brain and directs the body to kill people, spreading the disease. The only organs that still work are the muscles and the brain. The zombie will keep moving until it's muscles wear out and slough off and the body falls apart through wear and tear.They "eat" but the food just passes through their inactive digestive systems, intact, but with some bite marks..Muscles contract to push food through as it digests in a healthy person. A zombie will fall apart in days in a hot, humid area, but a zombie can last forever in cold storage or the arctic. This is one of those things that would be neat to think about, but would absolutely suck if it were to actually happen.
An interesting movie to watch about pseudo-zombies is 28 Days Later, the people infected with that disease will starve to death because they aren't undead.
Now onto GD with this thread!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Part of it is they are drawn to noise. A supressor would have been a big help. But even than, you can thin them out if you got time and ammo. They move around based on "memories" so people that frequented the mall a lot would go there, but not everything would. I still think it would work(thinning the heards) but you have to light them on fire too eventually and burn the bodies I'm sure if you get a big enough blaze going you'd be ok.

NUKE THEM FROM ORBIT! It's the only way to be sure!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top