Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2004 7:56:29 AM EDT
I am going to build two AR-15's (Bushy lowers): one as a true CQB weapon and the other as a general purpose weapon.  The question is as follows: which two barrel lengths would you use?

Originally I was looking at getting two 14.5" w/ Phantoms (16" OAL) and simply varying the attached gear.  However, I am also considering getting a 11.5" Bushy upper for the CQB dedicated weapon.  This, of course, makes it a SBR and requires the proper stamp.  The question really is if my upcoming build should go shortest possible for CQB applications or is the 3.5" (effective) difference not worth the additional NFA/SBR hastle & cost?

Also, for ranges of say 300m and under, would I be better off (on the GP weapon) with a true 16" barrel or is 14.5" going to be just about as accurate/useful over these shorter distances?

Finally, regarding NFA weapons, I believe there are significant restrictions to leaving your local area.  I like to have ample defensive firepower on road trips.  Does anyone have a link where I can do research on which states allow for you to enter with an SBR?  Also, how does it work within the state of registration (Florida in this case)?

As always, thanks in advance for all who participate in helping out! hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to the M16 forms, they have a tacked thread on SBRs.

Defintiely go for it. I love mine. I have 2 14.5"uppers and an 11.5".
It is a slow process but once you have the rec just file the form 1 and wait. Make sure your CLEO will sign off first.

You'll need form 1's, 4 fingerprint cards, $200 for each form 1, and 2x2" photos of yourself for each form1. Take it all to your CLEO and get your prints done, have him sign forms, and send in with your check. Takes about 4 months to get back.

Enjoy!

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#2]
www.titleii.com

Out of state movement of the NFA registered SBR requires a Form 5 - No Big Deal.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Whoa - it's not a Form 5!  That's what you use to temporarily transfer an NFA item for repair.  A transport form is a 5320.20.

Quoted:
www.titleii.com

Out of state movement of the NFA registered SBR requires a Form 5 - No Big Deal.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can get a signoff easily, I'd go for it.  For just a SBR, I don't know if incorporation makes sense though.  Once registered, you can use any length on it you'd like and in any caliber.  Thus if you originally have a 14.5" M4 upper on it, you can later put a 11.5" upper on it, or maybe a 7.5" 9mm DOE upper if you'd like.   For something in the 11.5" range, I'd use a 9mm upper rather than a 5.56 as it doesn't need the velocity.  Bt thats part of the beauty of the SBR - once its registered you can change upper configurations, lengths, and calibers as you wish.  Try one config and if you don't like it, just get another uper and try someting different.

As to moving NFA weapons; as long as its in your home state and there are no local laws or ordinances regarding gun transport or possession outside of your home/property, its just like moving around with any other rifle.  If you're going to cross state lines, however, you need to first get approval from BATF to move it interstate by filing a form 5320.20.  Unless you intend to go to a state where possession of the SBR would be illegal, BATF will approve the application.  It usually takes about a month for processing, but you can get approval to move the weapon interstate for significant periods of time (I think 6 months is the max).
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Whoa - it's not a Form 5!  That's what you use to temporarily transfer an NFA item for repair.  A transport form is a 5320.20.

Quoted:
www.titleii.com

Thanks, I stand corrected.

That's what you get for typing without checking your paperwork.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top