Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2004 7:04:03 AM EDT
I have an opportunity to buy a 3-digit ser. # SP1. (4XX) I would rate it 95-97%, good finish, 3-prong, slab-side, etc..
The only red flag is there are NO markings on the barrel. None. I will continue to research this but do you guys have info or advice on early SP1's? TIA.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Does the ser no read like this - SP 004XX ? That would be correct for a first issue SP1.

Does it have the features normally present on a first issue SP1?

Take a close look at the barrel. It should probably be stamped with the number 12 on the underside just about an inch back from the FH. It should also have a small letter M and the triangular Colt proofmark stamped on it's right side between the FSB taper pins. It would not have a chrome bore and chamber.

HTH
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. It has all the features of an early SP1. The ser. # is 004XX.  I will inspect it again with better lighting and magnification but I'm 99% sure there are no marks. My initial inspection showed no markings on the BBL. I think the barrel has been changed. Too bad because it is a nice piece plus NO play in upper/lower! Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't help but be curious, what sort of price are they asking?  I'm not good enough on early SP-1s to give you an answer on the barrel, sorry.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#4]
He's asking $1000.00. Which I thought was reasonable given the condition and low ser. #. But if it's been re-barrelled...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Pull the handguards and take a look at the teeth on the barrel nut. A rebarrelled piece will very likely show some little marks on the teeth.

Re the barrel markings that you didn't see, my experience w/early Colt ARs is that production markings are often very faint, and take a good strong light to spot.

Don't give up on it yet
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top