Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2004 4:32:30 AM EDT
I want to buy a Colt AR to keep unfired.  

The idea is:

A.  I will have a ban-free model to keep if the AWB returns, as it is bound to do if Kerry get elected.
B.   I can sell it if I decide I don't want it at some point in the future.

I think that a LE ONLY model would probably be the best choice for a ban-free Colt.

Which model do you guys figure would be best choice?

Where can I find the best price on your pick?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:20:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I want to buy a Colt AR to keep unfired.  

The idea is:

A.  I will have a ban-free model to keep if the AWB returns, as it is bound to do if Kerry get elected. good idea !

B.   I can sell it if I decide I don't want it at some point in the future. depends on what laws exist at that moment in time

I think that a LE ONLY model would probably be the best choice for a ban-free Colt.

Which model do you guys figure would be best choice? 6721 or 6920

Where can I find the best price on your pick? you gotta shop around

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:16:06 AM EDT
[#2]
although the debate could go on for days

the Colt LE6920 seems to be the definitive choice for the majority around here
This is based on it being the most closely related to the genuine Military Colt M4.

actually the Colt 6921 would be closest- given the fact it is a 14.5" barreled version of the 6920, and the real deal is 14.5"

But the 6921 requires a $200 special registration, as being a short barreled rifle (less than 16" overall length) making it a bit of a hassle to own.

bottom line 6920

better get in line now, as it is a pretty popular choice
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Investment? Bad idea!

If you want to buy one and keep it unfired it seems that you believe that Kerry will win the election and that a new AWB will be enacted. Pretty pessimistic to begin with, and what makes you think that a new AWB wouldn't be like the one presently in Kali? You'll never be able to sell it, period!

The LE models are now selling for a premium price because of the frenzy caused by the AWB sunset. The price will probably settle down before going up again. This is a bad time to buy if an "investment" is what you have in mind. Always buy low and sell high, and you propose to do the opposite.

If, on the other hand, you really want to own one to use and enjoy - then go for it! The pure fun of owning and shooting one will probably offset the premium that you might have to pay at this time. Save the "investment" alibi for your 'ol lady .
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
although the debate could go on for days

the Colt LE6920 seems to be the definitive choice for the majority around here
This is based on it being the most closely related to the genuine Military Colt M4.

actually the Colt 6921 would be closest- given the fact it is a 14.5" barreled version of the 6920, and the real deal is 14.5"

But the 6921 requires a $200 special registration, as being a short barreled rifle (less than 16" overall length) making it a bit of a hassle to own.

bottom line 6920

better get in line now, as it is a pretty popular choice

I'd think Colt #6400's might be going for a good price now, since they're being overlooked for the 6920's.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#5]
PAY AT LEAST $2000 FOR IT.  IF IT DOESN'T COST UNDER 2000 DOLLARS, DON'T BUY IT MAN.  I MEAN, COME ON IF IT ISN'T A COLT LEO MODEL, IT ISN'T A AR-15 MAN.  YOU SIR SHOULD TRADE ON THE FLOOR OF THE NYSE YOU HAVE SUCH GREAT INSIGHT INTO INVESTMENTS.  
h.gif
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#6]
In Cali....if you owned a high-cap gun such as an AR15 before they made the stuff illegal is it ok to have?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a brand new, never used/fired, still in original packaging, LE6920 for sale for $2000.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Wait until the election.

Even if Kerry got elected on November 2nd he wouldnt get to office until next year.

He won't get elected though Ye of little faith.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
PAY AT LEAST $2000 FOR IT.  IF IT DOESN'T COST UNDER 2000 DOLLARS, DON'T BUY IT MAN.  I MEAN, COME ON IF IT ISN'T A COLT LEO MODEL, IT ISN'T A AR-15 MAN.  YOU SIR SHOULD TRADE ON THE FLOOR OF THE NYSE YOU HAVE SUCH GREAT INSIGHT INTO INVESTMENTS.  

Take a chill, buddy. If he wants to invest in firearms, so be it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, don't buy one just to save in case of this or that.  I did that in May 1994, right after the house passed the AWB (but before it went into effect - I panicked).   I bought the last Colt in Cincinnatti Ohio at that time and paid a premium ($1200-1300 as I recall), AND was a student at the time so I charged it and paid interest for God knows how long.  I still have this weapon, still unfired.  Shot the others during the ban.  I've been thinking of going out and shooting it in celebration of the end of the ban but haven't even done that yet.  The fact is, I realized during the ban that these weapons continued to be available, and there were many unfired "pre-ban" weapons like mine that guys were willing to sell.  Those same guys are stubbornly still trying to get $2000 for their "Pre-ban" guns at the gus shows too.  In reality, I think those guns are not going to be worth much more than the going price for a post-ban gun before long, after market forces settle in.

If you want a good "investment" try the stock market.  The average annual return is 10%.  In the 10 years during the ban at that rate, my $1200 that I spent on that gun would now be worth $2438.00 (assuming that the market did not have strange fluctuations, BUT ALSO assuming that I never paid interest on teh $1200 AND that I had no other debt that was accumulating interest during that time).  AND this doesn't account for inflation!  So anybody who buys something like a gun or a watch or a car, or just about anything as an "investment" is just utterly ignorant of basic economic principles (valuation, interest, capitalization, inflation, etc), just like I was at the time.  If I had invested that money in the market, I could now buy that "pre-ban" colt, AND a new 6920.  AND, had the ban not ended, I could have still bought a "pre-ban" whatever, and put an M4 upper on it, etc., etc.,  etc.  And all this time, I never even shot the gun!

Now, it's hard to put on a value on the joy I got over the years having that gun in the safe, and fondling it and the like, but imagine the joy I would have felt cashing in that $$$2400 and going out and buying TWO instead of ONE!

Bottom line:  NOT A GOOD INVESTMENT.  INVEST in the STOCK MARKET then  BUY TWICE AS MANY GUNS TO SHOOT!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Secondofangle,

you hit my point.
I'm not going to take a chill pill.  Who wants to see some innocent guy get smoked for 2000 dollars for something that isn't worth 2000?  

Dude, look around.  You can get a Colt for reasonable prices.
I know where there is the 16 inch m4 profile barrel flat top with a red dot on it brand new with leo for 1200 bucks..  now I don't know what kinda optic that is on the gun as it hangs from the ceiling (the guy does this with his more special guns).  If it were a 400 red dot, or whatever and he'd take it off, it'd be worth the 900 bucks the gun is worth.  I don't think he'd do that.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top