Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2004 2:52:49 AM EDT
I just saw the one for Capital One credit cards, where the hordes of vikings come out while
The boys are back in town" is being played. Why vikings? These commercials are so dumb.

List other commercials on TV/Radio that are equally stupid.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:53:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of them, other piss me off and make me not want to buy what they are selling.

Shouldnt this be in GD?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
The Vikings are a metaphor for the current zeitgeist of materialism over substance, the conquering of morals by those that are strong enough to become the dominant force deciding how society should behave yet are far less civilized than those suffering the constant onslaught of these new invaders.  The song reperesents the cyclical nature of such social mores.  It's actually not dumb at all and works on so many diferent levels.  Just peel away the layers of the commeercial and analyze each element separately.  Then you'll see it makes perfect sense.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:05:38 AM EDT
[#3]
the one Mcdonald commercial where the guy talked to some imaginary person about taking away his chicken fingers or something...totally dumb and gay.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:20:35 AM EDT
[#4]
The Burger King commercial with the guy in bed with the big headed Burger King with the lady hands. That one is somehow disturbing. Maybe Knightone can disect the cerebral meaning behind that one. I don't possess sufficient gray matter evidently. Give me the Budweiser frogs or Leon commercials, or most beer ads for that matter. Any product that can't be demonstrated on TV (tampons or hemmoroid treatments) shouldn't be broadcast.

Shabo
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:20:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Most of them, other piss me off and make me not want to buy what they are selling.

Shouldnt this be in GD?

SHIT!! Yes, it should... my bad... I don't know how I did that... sorry...

Can a mod move this thread?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:24:08 AM EDT
[#6]
The Vikings are a metaphor for the current zeitgeist of materialism over substance, the conquering of morals by those that are strong enough to become the dominant force deciding how society should behave yet are far less civilized than those suffering the constant onslaught of these new invaders. The song reperesents the cyclical nature of such social mores. It's actually not dumb at all and works on so many diferent levels. Just peel away the layers of the commeercial and analyze each element separately. Then you'll see it makes perfect sense.

WOW, now I see it!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:29:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The Vikings are a metaphor for the current zeitgeist of materialism over substance, the conquering of morals by those that are strong enough to become the dominant force deciding how society should behave yet are far less civilized than those suffering the constant onslaught of these new invaders.  The song reperesents the cyclical nature of such social mores.  It's actually not dumb at all and works on so many diferent levels.  Just peel away the layers of the commeercial and analyze each element separately.  Then you'll see it makes perfect sense.  

Put this man on the payroll and stick him in the "Division of Commercial Analysis"... what the hell do you do for a living?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought they were just going with a theme from an earlier commercial.

Still, it ain't AR-15 related...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I like AR15's.(keeping it AR related) Anyway, I hate the Sonic commercials where those two fags are never making any sense.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Burger King commercial with the guy in bed with the big headed Burger King with the lady hands. That one is somehow disturbing. Maybe Knightone can disect the cerebral meaning behind that one. I don't possess sufficient gray matter evidently. Give me the Budweiser frogs or Leon commercials, or most beer ads for that matter. Any product that can't be demonstrated on TV (tampons or hemmoroid treatments) shouldn't be broadcast.

Shabo

I too find this commercial very disturbing.  Imagine waking up and seeing that thing in your bed looking at you?  I don't know how I would react, but it would not be pleasant.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#11]
There's a commercial where a furnace (or a/c unit, not sure which) is talking to itself. Something about "Think I'm scared of the dark?" and so on.

No offense meant towards anyone, but it sounds like the furnace has cerebal palsy. The commercial is just noise to me.

Scott

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There's a commercial where a furnace (or a/c unit, not sure which) is talking to itself. Something about "Think I'm scared of the dark?" and so on.

No offense meant towards anyone, but it sounds like the furnace has cerebal palsy. The commercial is just noise to me.

Scott

That would be for Carrier HVAC Systems
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
the one Mcdonald commercial where the guy talked to some imaginary person about taking away his chicken fingers or something...totally dumb and gay.

I agree. I hate that fucking guy that sits there with the guitar, talking about stepping away from the chicken. If there ever is an excuse for senseless violence towards another person, it would most definately be to that douchebag.

edit:sp
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Shabo

I can't analyze it. I get distracted as it gets me too hot.  There is nothing hotter than a big headed Burger King with lady hands.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put this man on the payroll and stick him in the "Division of Commercial Analysis"... what the hell do you do for a living?

I was a double major in college, and one of my majors was Cinema Studies.  I spent way too much time psychoanalyzing Orson Welles movies.  Can you tell?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Old six dollar burger commercial where the kid just sits there and eats the damn thing. I absolutely hate despise any commercials in which I have to listen to someone eating or drinking.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#17]
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1

There is nothing that makes me want to pick up a gun more than a commercial  with someone eating, especially the "$6 burger shit". Who in the hell thought that was great marketing?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Kerry Campaign Commercials.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Now those really get my blood boiling. I won't watch them, I change the channel as fast as I can.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Let's not forget the Quizno's commercials.... with those singing rat things. Granted they haven't run those in a while...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I hate the one about geico, when the spokeperson says something about a meatloaf....
What was he talking about???
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#22]
"If it doesn't get all over your face..."

IBTL
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Tylenol commercail= People with headache, take tylenol, feel better.

Dimetapp commercial= People cough, take Dimetapp, feel better

Tampon commercial= chicks playing tennis.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:16:16 AM EDT
[#24]
lots of em

but that burger king commercial is VERY gay...
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:04:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
www.alisonarmitage.com/video_clips/carlsjr60.jpg

What is that one for?

ps CAN A MOD PLEASE MOVE THIS THREAD TO THE GD?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.alisonarmitage.com/video_clips/carlsjr60.jpg

What is that one for?

I'd like to know as well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#28]
The one that really makes me want to puke is the Dannon yogurt commercial with the two homely black and white women discussing the virtues of this particular yogurt.   "it's shoe shopping good", "it's not catching the bridal bouquet good", "it's lesbian girlfriend good" and so forth, ad nauseum.  Alright, you like the yogurt - NOW STFU!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The Burger King commercial with the guy in bed with the big headed Burger King with the lady hands. That one is somehow disturbing.

Scary, scary commercial.

Real scary.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Tylenol commercail= People with headache, take tylenol, feel better.

Dimetapp commercial= People cough, take Dimetapp, feel better

Tampon commercial= chicks playing tennis.

Tampon commercial= chicks playing tennis bleeding on court,  use tampons,  chicks playing tennis without bleeding on court.

Now really, I don't think we wanna see the first two in the commercial.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now those really get my blood boiling. I won't watch them, I change the channel as fast as I can.

that's funny

same thing in our home.

Kerry ad comes on.....simultaneous..QUICK, TURN IT!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#32]
that BK commercial is supposed to be awkward and scary.  Thats what makes it entertaining in my opinion.  There are two versions of it now.  One where the guy reacts like hes scared, and one where he just accepts him right off.  Meat and cheese and meat and cheese :)  I think people get confused on anything unconventional.  It does appeal to certain groups, usually younger guys, just like those quiznos ads with the weird faced puppets.

Mcd's chicken selects commercial.  Worst commercial ever.  Like some lowlife copy guy at the office is going to attack his coworkers for taking his mcd's away.  right.  Annoying factor +100

KFC is better now with this chicken capital usa thing.  It used to be all about the colonel doin the  "cabbage patch" with "go colonel, go colonel!" in the background.   Embarassingly bad and targeted to people with no class or intelligence what so ever.  I dont wanna be alienated by my chicken company.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The one that really makes me want to puke is the Dannon yogurt commercial with the two homely black and white women discussing the virtues of this particular yogurt.   "it's shoe shopping good", "it's not catching the bridal bouquet good", "it's lesbian girlfriend good" and so forth, ad nauseum.  Alright, you like the yogurt - NOW STFU!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot how damn irritaing those comercials are. They make we want to get violent.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
that BK commercial is supposed to be awkward and scary.  Thats what makes it entertaining in my opinion.  There are two versions of it now.  One where the guy reacts like hes scared, and one where he just accepts him right off.  Meat and cheese and meat and cheese :)  I think people get confused on anything unconventional.  It does appeal to certain groups, usually younger guys, just like those quiznos ads with the weird faced puppets.

I figured those commcercials were supposed to be aimed at the 30-somethings who were around and remember back when Burger King was trying to have their own version of the McDonald's characters... The King, and I forget what other lame-ass characters they had.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I figured those commcercials were supposed to be aimed at the 30-somethings

Whatever happened to Rodney Allen Rippey>
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top