Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 1:52:09 PM EDT
Is it hard on the spings in mags to leave them fully loaded for extended amounts of time?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]
This question came up.....last week I think, could have been in the Magazine section, not sure.

Anyway, the general consensus was that storing mags loaded was not a problem. It's the actual cycling of the spring (loading/unloading) that wears them out.

Someone posted they had gotten some M14 mags that had been loaded since the 50s and they worked just fine.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Concur.

You can leave a spring compressed damned near through infinity without it's losing its memory. I personally fired a 1911 mag that had been loaded since D-Day. It ran flawlessly.

Cycling a spring, on the other hand, will eventually wear it out.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
No its only hard on them if you load then unload then the spring takes wear.I only unload them by way of my rifle.I just shoy 2 weeks ago 16 brit mags that were loaded for a year straight and the ran flawless but I did use green followers also.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I fired a mag that was loaded before Christ's birth with NO PROBLEMS! w00t!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This question came up.....last week I think, could have been in the Magazine section, not sure.

Anyway, the general consensus was that storing mags loaded was not a problem. It's the actual cycling of the spring (loading/unloading) that wears them out.

Someone posted they had gotten some M14 mags that had been loaded since the 50s and they worked just fine.

Hope this helps

...and this question comes up over and over again.

Hopefully with the ban gone, the question of, "Is the Mini-Y really loud?" will disapear also.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm not sure what is scarier, the fact that you keep making these ridiculous posts, or the fact that I still find myself laughing at them.

I can't help it.  The sight is riddled with lunacy lately.  Fight Fire with Fire!  Maybe after the election it'll get back to normal.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top