Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 9:44:52 PM EDT
I am trying to piece together an AR15 as cheaply as possible. I already have a 4 position CAR stock with the spring and buffer. It is on my MAK90 but I will take it off for the time being to get an AR running.

I found a DPMS lower without a stock for 175$. I may either do this or buy a DPMS stripped lower and the RRA parts kit. Here is my question. Does the RRA kit actually have everything you need? Like the mag release and all the trigger stuff? I have never torn into an AR15 but I know I can. Just as long as I don't need any special tools.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes...

special tools make it more simple.

MT
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Should I just get that complete DPMS receiver?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I just installed a RRA LPK and it went together with my Ameetec lower perfect. It has everything you need and the parts all fit great, no problems at all. I bought mine from Eagle Firearms for $54.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have to have any kind of special tools? Or does it just ease installation?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Should I just get that complete DPMS receiver?

I built my lower using only a pair of needle nose pliers, a pair of vise grips, a hammer and a nail. You don't need special tools to build a lower. And no, I didn't scratch mine at all, it came out perfect. I think the vise grips are easier than a punch. I got the idea for the vise grips from someone else and it really does work great. Just remember to tape the jaws.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
When you get ready to do this, read everything you can in the write up by Falarak that's tagged here. In there somewheree someone shows how they used the vise grips.

Don't be affraid to build a lower, the one I did last night was my first one and it's actually pretty easy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not to worried about it. I am pretty inclined on things like this. I just have to see a few pics or read up on it and have the parts there. I may just get that complete DPMS lower since I really wouldn't be saving much money the other way.

I will probably buy a stripped lower before to long. So I will have another platform before a ban or something stupid happens. I wonder how well the colors of a DPMS lower and an RRA upper will look.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:08:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm not to worried about it. I am pretty inclined on things like this. I just have to see a few pics or read up on it and have the parts there. I may just get that complete DPMS lower since I really wouldn't be saving much money the other way.

I will probably buy a stripped lower before to long. So I will have another platform before a ban or something stupid happens. I wonder how well the colors of a DPMS lower and an RRA upper will look.

If you want a high quality, low cost lower. I would suggest a either a Ameetec or RRA Lower and a J&T lower parts kits (LPK). The RRA LPK would be a very good second choice. I would avoid pretty much all others. Why a DPMS receiver? There is nothing wrong with them but there are options just as good for less money.

As far as color match, don't sweat it. Even if you buy the upper and lower from the same company at the same time, chances are they will not match exactly. If it really bothers you, Moly-Coat them.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#9]
DPMS because it was pretty cheap. Any links to were I can find the other lowers? The RRA lower is more and it also has a 8-10 week wait right now.

The ameetec are actually more expensive than the DPMS unless you get a stripped one. They have a couple stripped lowers for 90$ each. They also sell stripped RRA lowers...which I am now interested in. I was going to go DPMS because I heard they were good quality and cheaply priced. Heard they had some out of spec problems but CMM takes care and checks their receivers first.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow, I'm suprised to hear someone say J&T LPK over RRA LPK. My RRA parts were great, not really sure what J&T is using but I doubt it's higher quality then RRA.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#11]
My last 5 lowers were assembled using RRA LPK's with no probs
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Should I build a mega lower with a RRA parts kit or just get the complete DPMS lower (minus) stock from CMM?

I am just trying to build the best lower for the money. I am for sure getting the A3 RRA upper. Its ordered
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 on RRA kits. I have two waiting to be installed
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Should I build a mega lower with a RRA parts kit or just get the complete DPMS lower (minus) stock from CMM?

I am just trying to build the best lower for the money. I am for sure getting the A3 RRA upper. Its ordered

Build it, it's fun and you'll understand what's going on in there. I don't personally like the panther logo myself not that it matters much.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#15]
As far as money goes, I bought my Ameetec lower for $90 and the RRA LPK for $54 so it was only $144.

Even adding the RRA M4 stock for $69 and the Hogue grip for $14 I have $227 into the lower. Throw in less than $10 for all the shipping.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought my Stag Arms lower for $85 from Eagle Firearms (I think you can get them for less if you tell the folks at Eagle you are an arfcom member).  The Stag is produced by the same company that does RRA's lowers from what I understand.  I do know the finish on the Stag lower match my RRA upper perfectly.  I also used a RRA LPK which fit perfectly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The ameetec are actually more expensive than the DPMS unless you get a stripped one.

Considering you asked about LPK's, I assumed you where looking for a stripped lower? If you are\were looking for a complete lower, why did you ask about RRA parts kit or were you referring to an upper kit?

DPMS because it was pretty cheap.

Where are you getting your DPMS prices from? Just curious because while they usually aren't the most expensive, they usually aren't the cheapest either.

Any links to were I can find the other lowers?

Here's a couple of links...

Ameetec Arms Fall sale as they have a number of different lowers to choose from (including their house brand Ameetec for $90)

CMMG usually has the best prices on DPMS lowers ($105) if that's what you really want. If you go this route, I'd ask them why their "pistol" lower are only $100 when they are the same damm thing. Only difference is how the paper work is written.

RB Precision usually has the best price on RRA lowers ($95). They are good people and usually have at least a couple in stock.

Quoted:
Wow, I'm suprised to hear someone say J&T LPK over RRA LPK. My RRA parts were great, not really sure what J&T is using but I doubt it's higher quality then RRA.

No offense but that tells me you never used a J&T kit. I've used more than one of both and while the RRA kits are just fine, the J&T kits where clearly better. Don't get wrong, I would have no qualm using a RRA kit again but giving the choice, I'd use a J&T kit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#18]
CMMG had the DPMS complete lower - stock for 175$.

Thats where I was getting my prices from. ADCO has the upper I just ordered for 25$ cheaper...if they have it in stock I am going to cancel the order from RRA. If they actually have it in stock.

I asked about the RRA lower parts kit because I am trying to decide if it is cheaper to build a stripped lower or if it worth a few extra bucks for a complete lower.

I already have a 4 position telestock. I am just using that for awhile. Until I get some more money for a full size ACE skeleton stock.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Well it is cheaper to build it, and it's fun. Also a good learning experience. I was considering buying a completed lower for a while too, I'm glad I didn't. Now I know what all the internal parts look like and how they go in the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#20]
It's pretty valuable knowledge to understand what's in the gun and what impacts certain functions. It could be useful in diagnosing problems later if they arise.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#21]
True...but like I mentioned I have never been inside an AR at all. But I know once I get one I am going to end up building one anyways. For no reason. I was wanting to build an AK of some type but its alittle harder than building an AR.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:25:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Doesn't matter if you've never seen the inside of an AR (or any other gun for the matter) as long you you have the most basic of mechnical skills (and I mean BASIC!) you can assemble an AR lower. As you are not familar with the inner workings of an AR, that's even more of a reason to do it yourself in order to learn the system. Trust me, there is no good reason not to build your own plus as been already said, you will save some money and have some fun in the process!

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I am actually very mechanically inclined. Only "gunsmithing" I have done was installing a trigger group in my MAK90. But that is cake. Right now my camaro is in my garage with no front suspension. Getting a rebuild and some lowering springs. So unless an AR lower happens to be really hard to put together I know I can do it.

One more question, If I build this AR by law I cannot sell it correct?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#24]
spend a couple bucks on the right set of punches and putting a lower together is a piece of cake.

+1 to a RRA lower and parts kit.  www.eaglefirearms.net

Just remember - you shouldn't have to force anything.  Everything should go together with light taps from a ball-peen hammer.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
One more question, If I build this AR by law I cannot sell it correct?

Yes you can. The only time selling it could become an issue is if you start doing it often (building stripped lowers and then selling them) because then it will be viewed as a business rather than a hobby.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh. Law states something like "a person in the U.S. can build a firearm as long as they do not sell or distribute it." Or something of that nature. I wasn't sure. I probably won't sell it ever...unless something bad happens.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#27]
You can sell a gun you built from a kit, don't worry about that. Build the lower, you'll be glad you did. Also you can build the lower without a punch set, I used only a hammer, 2 different nails and a pair of vice grips and I'd never built one before. I took me about an hour because I wasn't rushing anything.

One more time BUILD YOUR OWN LOWER...NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#28]
I probably will. Next friday after I get paid I am going to have my local FFL order me a stripped lower. Canceled the upper order from RRA. ADCO had it in stock. It is the post-pan but oh well. It was 25$ cheaper from ADCO to.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You can sell a gun you built from a kit, don't worry about that. Build the lower, you'll be glad you did. Also you can build the lower without a punch set, I used only a hammer, 2 different nails and a pair of vice grips and I'd never built one before. I took me about an hour because I wasn't rushing anything.

BEWARE, you cannot just build one lower!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BEWARE, you cannot just build one lower!

I know, I haven't even got the upper for my current build and I'm already thinking about the next one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Same here. I will probably build a 20'' or longer upper next. Probably a strictly varmit oriented. The one I am building now is the plinker/badass
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top