Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2004 3:51:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you can, unless you have a slab side upper.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#2]
nevermind.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes...

Remove the little "C" clip that retains the rod the cover is on.  It is on the muzzle side of the ejection port.  Put some duct tape on the lower surface of your forward assist.  Slide the rod out the rear of the ejection port.  It is a pain in the ass and getting the "C" clip back on isn't much fun.  I would recommend not doing it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes...

Remove the little "C" clip that retains the rod the cover is on.  It is on the muzzle side of the ejection port.  Put some duct tape on the lower surface of your forward assist.  Slide the rod out the rear of the ejection port.  It is a pain in the ass and getting the "C" clip back on isn't much fun.  I would recommend not doing it.

Got an A4 receiver by itself right in front of me.  I removed the "C" clip and slid the rod toward the rear.  It hits the forward assist before it comes completely out, actually hits it about 1/2 way out.  Unless you want to risk dragging it across your forward assist and/or ovaling the rear hole for the rod, it will not clear the forward assist.

Edited to add:  The more I push, the harder it gets to go out.  I'm quitting before I damage something.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes...

Got an A4 receiver by itself right in front of me.  I removed the "C" clip and slid the rod toward the rear.  It hits the forward assist before it comes completely out, actually hits it about 1/2 way out.  Unless you want to risk dragging it across your forward assist and/or ovaling the rear hole for the rod, it will not clear the forward assist.

Been there/done that...it will come out.  That's why I said you need to place duct tape on the lower surface of your forward assist.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes...

Been there/done that...it will come out.  That's why I said you need to place duct tape on the lower surface of your forward assist.  

I'm not forcing this one out, I get it about 2/3 of the way and it locks up.  I'd highly recommend not doing it this way, even with the tape.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes...

I'm not forcing this one out, I get it about 2/3 of the way and it locks up.  I'd highly recommend not doing it this way, even with the tape.

Note that I also said I wouldn't recommend doing it.  It is a bitch.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#8]

It might work on your sloppy assed Colts, but this one isn't a Colt, so...............................

mongoBradd
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It might work on your sloppy assed Colts, but this one isn't a Colt, so...............................

mongowww.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/265.gifBradd

Hmmm...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#10]
how hard is it to get the c-ring off?

i have a couple of a1 slabside uppers that i want to refinish...i'd like to get it off before i do.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

i have a couple of a1 slabside uppers that i want to refinish...i'd like to get it off before i do.

Needle nose pliers will pull it off, but keep an eye on it, as it may take a ride.  If it does and you need one, I have, oh, let's say, about 1000 of them, so send me an IM with your address and I'll hook you up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It's actually pretty easy.  It's getting it back on that sucks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Needle nose and a steady hand.  I just did it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Needle nose and a steady hand.  I just did it.

You are the man.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Let me suggest a DREMEL TOOL  I use these myself and have had nothing but total success.  You can cut up anything with them...especially those annoying Colt products

Posted just for Brad,
Thank you very much,
Wes
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Let me suggest a DREMEL TOOL  I use these myself and have had nothing but total success.  You can cut up anything with them...especially those annoying Colt products

Posted just for Brad,
Thank you very much,
Wes

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roger on THAT!

I use a small needle nose plier, strip the covers off the bed,  put a white sheet on it, and do the whole job sitting in the middle of the bed.  That way when I drop the C clip, and I ALWAYS do, I can find it on the sheet.

Re getting the rod out the back, if you carefully bend it down slightly with your fingers, yuo CAN get it past the FA housing w/o either enlarging the mounting hole or permanently bending the rod. At I least I have been able to 4 or 5 times
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top