Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2004 8:53:22 PM EDT
I have owned a few AR-s over the years. My first was an Olympic Arms I bought while in the service. I didnt know who made them but I knew there were a few mfrs and assumed OA was one. Heck I thought they all were as I had a H&R M16 in basic training.

Anyways it was a POS. I owned 2 bushmasters and liked them. I have been without a black rifle for a few years now and I want another one. I sold one of my houses and have the $$. I am thinking about gettijng a Colt MT6400C and having the shop put on a real flash hider. (can that be done?) As far as the stock goes, I never picture myself closing it up even with LCE. Not like I amgoing into combat or anything. I always tucked my stock under my gear whenever I could anyways. I may get a real milspec stock, I dont know.

Well I want the Colt because I do believe they are the ONLY mfr making the M4 for the military and I want to get all the same Mfr as possible. I read about the feed ramp issue and I have a good amount of soft point ammo I came across a few years ago and they fed like scmidt in my bushies. Also I never owned a Colt AR before. Sure they have their noses stuck up LEs arses but I think they make a finee produst. The M16 I had in the Army NEVER gave me a problem. Not ever. Actually all teh M16s I used in the Army all performed exceptionally well. especially that H&R A1.

Basically I want to put on a real flash hider and possibly a real stock. As far as optics go, whatis the scope I should get to make it at least appear close to mil spec. I saw some decent deals on Aimpoint Comp II scopes. Any good?

Am I going about it all wrong? What suggestions would you have? Is what I am doing foolish? Remember I will spend the $$ to do it right.

What should I expect to pay to have the flash hider installed.
What model / brand stock should I look for if I decide to change it. And what $$ should be expetced.
What Scope should I have my eye one. I dont mind spending around $400 or so for the scope.    Used is fine if it functions.
What about the handguards on the colt. Are they the same as most M4's?
And can anything be done about Colts friggin scre instead of a front take down pin. Any conversions out there?

Thanks for any rplies and I appologise in advances if it has been hashed to death already.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybee in the $100 range for a flash hider.The 6400 should have a front pushpin.Hanguards are real M4 double shielded.I have an aimpoint comp ml,stocks colt made telestocks I have seen for between $130 and $160 on the low end to over $200 on the high end.Large fire control parts Bushmaster makes.......god I sound like yoda..to lazy to back space...so spare parts arent a problem.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
i'd go w/ BUSHMASTER

get an A3 and izzy/vortex/phantom fh and 16in chrome bbl,and m-4 handguards
if you want mil-spec

h/w if you build your own, you can put whatever you want on it--change butstock(ace, vltor, magpul, car, m-4, a2, etc), grips (ergo, samco, a2, houge, etc), handguards( quad rails-KAC, yhm, m-4, etc) ,trigger (jewel, std, etc, sights (buis, flips, a2, etc) to whatever you want, not just stock production

for a scope, i'd go w/ a ACOG
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Maybee in the $100 range for a flash hider.The 6400 should have a front pushpin.Hanguards are real M4 double shielded.I have an aimpoint comp ml,stocks colt made telestocks I have seen for between $130 and $160 on the low end to over $200 on the high end.Large fire control parts Bushmaster makes.......god I sound like yoda..to lazy to back space...so spare parts arent a problem.

So you are saying go for a Bushmaster if I want to get parts easily? Would a Bushmaster lower and Colt upper mate well?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i'd go w/ BUSHMASTER

get an A3 and izzy/vortex/phantom fh and 16in chrome bbl,and m-4 handguards
if you want mil-spec

h/w if you build your own, you can put whatever you want on it--change butstock(ace, vltor, magpul, car, m-4, a2, etc), grips (ergo, samco, a2, houge, etc), handguards( quad rails-KAC, yhm, m-4, etc) ,trigger (jewel, std, etc, sights (buis, flips, a2, etc) to whatever you want, not just stock production

for a scope, i'd go w/ a ACOG

Are those flash hiders the same as on a real issue M4? The izzy one looks weird, I have not seen the others.

Also can a Colt barrel take a regular flash hider?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:11:59 AM EDT
[#5]
WildBoar, Welcome!

You want a Colt, right?  Then get a Colt!  There's no earthly reason not to.

You can take an MT6400C and put any quality collapsible stock and flash hider on it with no problems whatsoever; Colt puts one of their tele-stocks and an A2 FH on to turn them into the LE6920 (except the 6920 has the old rollmarks regarding "LE/Export Only", but that's not important).

You can switch the stock yourself.  ADCO is one of the best places to go to have the proper flash hider installed; here is the link to their Shop Services Page.

If you want to spend $400 for a scope and you want great optics, then you're looking at the latest Aimpoints or Eotechs.  A lot of us (and the Marines) prefer the Trijicon ACOG system, but those run approx. $1K.  If, after comparison shopping, you decide you want one as well, be prepared to join the hunt: the war has made these a Priority Supply Item for the troops, so getting one off the shelf requires strong Shopping Kung-Fu.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
WildBoar, Welcome! ht?
You can take an MT6400C and put any quality collapsible stock and flash hider on it with no problems whatsoever; Colt puts one of their tele-stocks and an A2 FH on to turn them into the LE6920 (except the 6920 has the old rollmarks regarding "LE/Export Only", but that's not important).

You can switch the stock yourself.  ADCO is one of the best places to go to have the proper flash hider installed; here is the link to their Shop Services Page.

If you want to spend $400 for a scope and you want great optics, then you're looking at the latest Aimpoints or Eotechs.  A lot of us (and the Marines) prefer the Trijicon ACOG system, but those run approx. $1K.  If, after comparison shopping, you decide you want one as well, be prepared to join the hunt: the war has made these a Priority Supply Item for the troops, so getting one off the shelf requires strong Shopping Kung-Fu.  hippie.gif

Outstanding. Thanks for the info. Seriously.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top