Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2004 4:47:23 PM EDT
I went to my local gun shop tonight to look at his BETA's and Norinco drums, and he said that he was getting a new Bushmaster LEO M4 in sometime this week. He told me about it because he knows that I love M4's and he said that it was hard to find. I know the ban is up, but are LEO's still more expensive? He told me it would definately be more than a regular "no-ban".
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I went to my local gun shop tonight to look at his BETA's and Norinco drums, and he said that he was getting a new Bushmaster LEO M4 in sometime this week. He told me about it because he knows that I love M4's and he said that it was hard to find. I know the ban is up, but are LEO's still more expensive? YES  He told me it would definately be more than a regular "no-ban".

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#2]
LEOs only are more wxpensive just cause gun sellers know that there are folks out there who want one just cause it says'LEO only'
i would also think that they are a little harder to find

personally, i'd just pay less for a non-leo and get the same quality
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#3]
yes
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Horse Hockey! I bought my Buchy LEO for $899.00 a week after the ban went away. A week later the same dealer had them for a grand. At the last show I went to, another dealr had Colt 6920s selling for $1895. You tell me what the differance is! Dealers are gouging because of the markings. The guns do not shoot any better. It is just the markings that we are after! Are they worth $1000.00 more?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Dudes, LEO adds 200fps to the gun.  Some dealers will say anything to make a few bucks to get their credit lines current so they can order deer season gear and guns>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>hippie.gif
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
The only relevance they have is like what was said"the markings"for collector value it will probably be worth a liitle more than a regular Bushy and not more than what LEO colt marked ones are worth.Unless you want it for collector purposes get a regular marked one and spend the extra money on ammo and mags
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Dudes, LEO adds 200fps to the gun.  Some dealers will say anything to make a few bucks to get their credit lines current so they can order deer season gear and guns>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It also reduces the average MOA by about 1 inch!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#8]
LEO weapons are worth nothing extra, don't buy into this garbage about them being worth more from a dealer point of view.  LEO stamped weapons are only worth more to the people who think the stamp on the side is cool.

In real life, LEO stamped weapons are cheaper for dealers who bought them under a LE sales program.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Those LEO marked guns are more because some people are under the mistaken impression that anything that says police, cops, or law enforcement is better made with better material.  You also have cop queers (cop groupies) who will buy anything that says polcie on it.  There are also those that want to buy those rifles for the simple fact that they couldn't legally do it for ten years.  It's kind of like the booze you drink after turning 21.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dudes, LEO adds 200fps to the gun.  Some dealers will say anything to make a few bucks to get their credit lines current so they can order deer season gear and guns>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It also reduces the average MOA by about 1 inch!!!

Now I said that in a "Colt is best" thread or maybe it was a "Colt LEO is best" thread and got my chops busted.....................................WTF.

Stick says it best, IMO, it is a collectors market and reasonable prices won't be seen for a while until the BS hype dies down, if ever.  Get one if you really want an investment piece of have money to burn, avoid it if you want the EXACT form and function without the cool lettering and outrageous price tag.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#11]
how much would it cost to have one of your own stamped with the LEO only shit?

i doubt it could be that much
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm stealing someone's great idea here, but someone posted earlier that if you were to stamp a lower after the fact, it should read:

"For Civilian Use Only
Not for Military or Law Enforcement Use:

That would rock!!

Group buy!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds to me as though everyone here is plain JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!! I got mine for a comparable amount to a similar Match Target wannabe (can anyone say 6400C?).  Yeah, I could have bought a normal AR, but having a 6920 with markings is just icing on the cake! And no I didnt buy it to look cool.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
JEALOUS

Gonna have to say:  

At present prices, you can get a perfectly fine AR and about $1000 worth of ammo and mags for what some of the LEOs are going right now.  Practical, maybe.  Jealous, not likely, at least not here.  It is a market being driven mostly by collectors who feel that the LEO marked rifles will be worth something some day.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually , I tend to think that this "amazing" demand for LEO rifles is out of the fact that these rifles will be potentially more valuable than say, a blue or green label pre-ban. Truthfuly, I never saw such a hot topic as the 6920 until i found this website a month ago, and all the rants about rarity on Gunbroker and AA. I figured with all this craziness, I might as well have gotten one before whatever comes post 11/02......oh yeah, the BIGGEST reason for my getting a 6920 is what other Colt comes from the factory now with the features its got? Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm stealing someone's great idea here, but someone posted earlier that if you were to stamp a lower after the fact, it should read:

"For Civilian Use Only
Not for Military or Law Enforcement Use:

That would rock!!

Group buy!?!?!?!

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sounds to me as though everyone here is plain JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!! I got mine for a comparable amount to a similar Match Target wannabe (can anyone say 6400C?).  Yeah, I could have bought a normal AR, but having a 6920 with markings is just icing on the cake! And no I didnt buy it to look cool.

I got mine before they were cool, and went they meant something.  Jealous?  Heck no, you aren't even close, I consider the LEO/GOV markings dork gun material.  The only reason I haven't sold mine is because I've got too many quals in with it, and I don't want my name attached to something like a weapon if it isn't in my hands.    
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Now I said that in a "Colt is best" thread or maybe it was a "Colt LEO is best" thread and got my chops busted.....................................WTF.

Mongo,

You were correct, so don't let the SOBs keep you down.  When Colt was making weapons during the AWB, they ended up making two different classes of weapons.  The LEO/ GOV, and the ones that weren't.  It was brought up in the Colt armorer school that the differences were plenty, and the QC was not what the stamped guns were.  With the AWB no longer in place, it really doesn't matter, but what the instructor was saying is still very valid for weapons from that time period.

Being as he had asked about Bushie, I didn't want to bring up old Colt wounds....
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#19]
The LEO guns being more expensive that a normal one is the dumbest thing I have seen in a long time.....   I am a LEO, and I am not paying more for some engraving.  Who would????  

In fact, why would someone who is not a LEO want a gun that says Law Enforcement use except to be a poser??

I dont get it....  everyone hates the cops, but saying it is a cop gun makes it cost more.  If that is true, then I have some used cop furniture, and a used Law Enforcement TV I would like to sell....lol
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I think the LEO markings fetching more caught a lot of dealer's off guard.  I got a LEO marked Bushy M4 A3 the day the ban ended for $849, not a great price, but the same price they were selling the rifles to LEO agencies the day before.  Now that it is seen that some people are willing to pay a premium (price and demand) they are marking, AND GETTING, DPMS M4s for between $100 and $150 more than what I paid.  Price gouging, no, you know damned good and well you would do the same thing.  They are only pricing the weapons for what the market is willing to pay.  If nobody was willing to pay those prices, then the price would come down to what they were the day, or the day before the ban ended.  And for those who aren't willing to pay those prices, set back, once the demand is met those prices will start dropping.  It is our unwillingness to wait and the need for instant gratification that has pushed the prices up, and the dealers are just making hay while the sun shines.  Anyway, that's how I see it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey, don't hate the pimp stick, hate the game.  LEO rules.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#23]
In all seriousness ... the LEO is very important to me, because it marks the end of the dreadful AWB.  Sort've like a celebration of my freedom to buy a rifle the way I god damn want it.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
In all seriousness ... the LEO is very important to me, because it marks the end of the dreadful AWB.  Sort've like a celebration of my freedom to buy a rifle the way I god damn want it.  

Now, at least that makes a legit argument. I won't have to put you on my gun dork Christmas card list.....
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Gun nerds are so lame.

Eventually people will be engraving "LEO only" on guns even after all the original banned recievers dry up.

What happened to just wanting the actual useful "features" of no-ban guns?

People are already doing that, it started a couple weeks ago.  Yes, I am serious, and yes, it is pathetic.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#26]
The darker side of having LEO only marked guns/mags....
What if a new ban says having anything marked leo... is wrong, turn in anything leo
but you can grandfather in everything else..
could happen, and if not, look, it's the government, and who knows.
I won't be laughing when I don't have to turn in my no-ban m4 i'll probably pay 800 bucks for
and the jackasses who spent their house taxes on a leo will be out a gun,
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
In fact, why would someone who is not a LEO want a gun that says Law Enforcement use except to be a poser??

I don't care about the LEO markings either way. I can see why some folks would want them and why others feel they deface the gun.  I'm definitely not some cop wannbe and don't wish to be perceived as such. One point is that I may never have the chance to own this really cool rifle in it's unadulterated form without those silly markings. So.......I'll learn to live with the markings, if ya'll meet up with me at the range just be sure to speak to me with the respect an LEO Only Colt 6920 AR toting poser deserves.h=85%

Quoted:
In all seriousness ... the LEO is very important to me, because it marks the end of the dreadful AWB. Sort've like a celebration of my freedom to buy a rifle the way I god damn want it.

Good point M4Kid.

I also suspect that a good many buyers of the LEO marked Colts and Bushmasters are stashing them away NIB as investments. That makes sense to a point. Not at the $1500+ point though (for me anyway). After all these aren't  limited production models. I'd guess that there will be many thousands of these Colts that will never see the light of day. Nobody knows when another permanant AWB will be enacted but I think most of us will agree that it's only a matter of time. Will they ever be worth $3000...$5000? I don't think so but then again I don't have a crystal ball.

I just had to take my 6920 to the range the other day for fear that if I didn't get it out soon I'd be afraid to ruin its virginal NIB status.hock.gif That would have been a shame because this is one fun carbine. I've had that happen with some other guns of mine. I fully intended to shoot them but never got around to it and now years later I can't bring myself to shoot them! Nice and shiney in the box and maybe worth $100-$200 more over LNIB condition (big deal), but I never got to really enjoy them for their intended purpose. I'm glad my 6920 won't suffer this fate. Don't get me wrong I'll take great care of it and I aready have its pristine box with the unopened accessory pack stored away where it won't get damagedRandy
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Maybe I'm too paranoid (is that possible?) but the cops I've had dealings with lately seem fairly ignorant in general. I'm afraid that if that saw me with an "LEO" marked gun they would assume I stole it from some police department and might want to confiscate it (and me) until they could get someone with a higher IQ (90 or so) to figure it out for them.

Don't get the impression I'm slamming all cops. I know there's some damn fine dedicated cops out there, but, like everywhere else in America, competent and concerned employees are fewer and farther between. It's not the kids that are being dumbed down. I've just run into some real slow thinkers lately.

As far as the dealers pricing up LEO marked firearms, sounds like free enterprise to me. Why is it that when I sell something to someone for a good profit I'm a good businessman, but when someone makes a good profit on me they're profiteering?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#29]
LEO = Less Expensive Originally
is now, Larger Expense than Others
will be,  Legitamatly Expensive maybe Obscenely so

Sorry!
Too much time on my hands....
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got a Law Enforcement Only marked Rubbermaid trash can for sale! Only $299! Check the EE
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I've got a Law Enforcement Only marked Rubbermaid trash can for sale! Only $299! Check the EE

Please hold till you get my EMAIL! I am LEO crazy... PS: Does it have an LEO lid?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Anybody want to buy a 2004  limited edition, chronic need's only stamped flu shot?
Heck, it's (only) $200.00 which includes free collectors value too.
Such a deal..............................................................
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Gatordiver99, you're not being too paranoid.  Fact is, the States individually are (post AWB) so screwed up, lots of cops on the streets don't really know what applies to what.  A friend of mine who was retiring from NYSP and I were talking about carrying concealed weapons with retired credentials, which is legal in both our cases.  But the agencies were telling their guys look, make life easy on yourself and just get one (which is no big deal).

Is this ridiculous or what?

When I asked the same Trooper (2 years ago) what about "Assault" weapons, the guy looked at me like I was an alien and said bluntly, "We don't have a clue, make your life easy and carry your badge/creds."   So what kind of crap is this for "John Q" law-abiding public who just didn't happen to wind up to be a cop for his/her profession?

This is out of control.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Maybe I'm too paranoid (is that possible?) but the cops I've had dealings with lately seem fairly ignorant in general. I'm afraid that if that saw me with an "LEO" marked gun they would assume I stole it from some police department and might want to confiscate it (and me) until they could get someone with a higher IQ (90 or so) to figure it out for them.

+1
Archived [ARCHIVED THREAD] - Does Law Enforcement Only bring more money?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top