Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 12:13:29 PM EDT
Okay guys, I know this is sort of comparing apples and oranges, but I'm having trouble deciding whether to buy an LMT MRP or have yet another upper built.  The two options are:

ONE -- flat-top upper with 1/7 "recce" contour stainless barrel, Larue 12" forend, Troy sights, and mid length gas system.

TWO -- "Long" MRP with a 16" chrome-lined barrel, and Troy sights

I like the potential for the relatively easy/inexpensive option of using 6.8 SPC in the MRP if/when that caliber ever truly catches on.  BUT, the MRP is going to cost about $400 more right off the bat, so that kind of levels the two options out on cost...  

I guess what I'd like to know is whether or not the overall ruggedness/longevity of the MRP as compared to the above described recce is worth the extra money.  I am sort of inclined to shy away from the MRP due to concerns about how well everything will hold up after 5000+ rds and multiple removals and replacement of the barrel.

Any advice or experience to share???

thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Howdy Jason.    I just sent you an email on this very subject.  

Pretty sure I'm gonna go ahead with the recce, just for money's sake... unless somebody convinces me otherwise.

AShooter
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Go with a Recce. I'm a PRI tube and low profile gas block away from finishing my 1/8 Recce/Recon carbine and so far it's been shooting great. Here's the way I see it. Free floating and railed forends have been perfected by so many manufacturers over the last few years that they have most of the bugs worked out. MRPs are pretty new and who knows if they're going to really catch on, if they won't have some major problems down the line, etc. Replacing the barrel on an AR is fairly easy and replacing the bolt is really easy. If 6.8 ever catches on, it will cost you LESS to replace the barrel and bolt in your Recce than the initial expense of the MRP.
My advice, go with the Recee, take the $400, and start a 6.8 build on a Cav Arms lower. Ameetec is supposed to release their 6.8 upper pretty soon so you should be able to pick one up one of those for a reasonable price. For about the price of an MRP, you could have 2 guns and keeping up the ARFCOM philosophy of getting both.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

thanks.

Just to make it difficult, here's my MRP:

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#6]
No, get the RECCE:

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Get both!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Geez, you guys ain't helpin' me very much....

I think I've about decided to go forward with the recce build for now.....  and then see if I can sell off an extra kidney or maybe rent out my wife to fund the MRP at some later date.  

...and NO, she's not really for rent...                   yet.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=27318

So, how many rounds do you have through your MRP so far?  Auto or semi fire?  How often (if ever) do you remove or swap barrels?  How's she holding up???

AShooter

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No, get the RECCE:

www.hunt101.com/img/170359.JPG

I love that Recce!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=27318

And I really really love that MRP!

That being said, my MRP is on the way!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top