Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2004 7:36:22 AM EDT
Any suggestions on how to permanetly attach a FH to a 14.5" barrel to make it a legal 16"?  I have heard of the silver soldering process but not sure how to do it.  I know how to use a soldering iron, but have never used it on a gun.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#1]
You won't be using a soldering iron to silver solder - especially as you need 1100 degF Silver Solder to be compliant.

Here are the directions:Silver Soldering a Muzzle Device to BATF regulations
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#2]
high temp (with a MAP gas torch) silver solder.
your iron or propane gas torch will not work.

i suggest you pin it in place.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#3]
What is the best way to pin it?  Drill a hole off center so you don't drill into the bore and push in a rolled pin or whatever you call it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#4]
thread on break.
drill hole thru break and into threads of barrel. (do not drill all the way thru)
Drive slightly oversized pin in place.
Cut pin off flush.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it not acceptable to drill the hole off center all the way through missing the bore and putting a roller pin in that could be pushed out via a punch if you ever choose to attach a different FH?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#6]
The link Forest posted is what I used as a guide, and it worked like a charm.  It doesn't take long to get  the barrell up to temp with a mapp gas torch. I kept a stream of compressed air running through the barrel while heating and experienced no discolorization.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
thread on break.
drill hole thru break and into threads of barrel. (do not drill all the way thru)
Cut pin off flush.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the pin has to be countersunk and welded over so that it can't 'fall out'
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
thread on break.
Cut pin off flush.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the pin has to be countersunk and welded over so that it can't 'fall out'

It does not have to be countersunk - but you are right in that it must be welded into place.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#9]
It needs to be pinned and the pin hole needs to be welded closed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Anything pinned has to be welded over to meet ATF requirements.

See this link.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top