Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2004 4:51:49 AM EDT
Hello to all! I'm haveing trouble with the bolt going completely into the chamber every time I fire. Even when I lube it up good it still wont go in all the way! I have to you the F\A button for every shot!
It is a 10.5" pistol kit from model 1 sales. I dont know what to do from here, please help? And yes, everything is clean. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:47:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Thought about contact Model 1 Sales to ask them?

Or do they refuse to answer your quetions now that they have your money?  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:53:49 AM EDT
[#2]
A new bolt is going to be tight in the carrier because of the brand new gas rings.  Are you using the Model 1 1911 bufer kit?  It could be that this spring just isn`t powerful enough to overcome the gas ring friction and also the force necessary to move the extractor.  The good news here is that the bolt and extractor will free up after not too long.

Also you may have a tight chamber or out of spec ammo.  Take the bolt group out of your upper and drop a round in the chamber with muzzle pointed down.  It should fall in and seat with no binding.   Use a wide variety of ammo if you have it available.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:14:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Does the bolt carrier slide freely in the upper receiver, by itself, no oil and without the bolt?  Sometimes the sides of the upper might be bent in slightly.  If so, I'll tell you how to fix this.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes it does, the problem apears to come from the teeth on the bolt. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Doubtful that its "the teeth on the bolt"!

Sounds more like the carrier key is dragging on the gas tube. It is possible for the gas tube to align through the holes in the barrel nut assembly and still be cocked enough to not be centered in the carrier key. This will cause exactly what you're describing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Will the bolt close completely on a empty chamber without assistance?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#7]
It could be some of the things mentioned above.  I hope so.  It also could be improperly headspaced.  You really shouldn't shoot it 'till you find out.  If it locks up properly without ammo and the gas tube or magazine is not binding, then headspace issues become more probable.

Try a few types of ammo to eliminate out of spec ammo.

Once you eliminate binding from gas tube and magazine, you need to examine the chamber for burrs that may keep the cartridge from seating fully.  Check the bolt face, lugs and extension lugs for burrs and chips.  Then strip the bolt (don't use the carrier either) and see if you can rotate it into a locked position by hand over a headspace gauge or cartridge.  It should take little or no pressure.  It's hard to do this without removing the barrel.

If you have some spare bolts, you can try them (by hand).  If they don't work either, it's probably the chamber/barrel fitting dimensions.

Minimum headspace issues are infrequent, but not unheard of.  If the chamber and lugs on the extension and bolt are smooth and the stripped bolt will not lock over the cartridge by hand, then the lugs on the bolt or extension are too long or the chamber is too short.  These parts are too hard to expect them to "wear in", although a few full lock up cycles may remove a burr if you are lucky.

Sending it back seems easier than all of this.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top