Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2004 3:42:01 PM EDT
What's the best bang for the buck M4gery on the market these days?  I'm looking at possibly getting a RRA Entry Tactical No Ban model.  A dealer locally in Atlanta has them for $839.  Is that a good price?  Is it worth it to spend the extra money for a Bushmaster or Colt?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
rock river arms is the best deal out... get it from ADCO... steve and eric are the best in the bussiness...

i'm sure they're prices will own any others
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Eagle Firearms has a RRA for $719 minus the carrying handle. It's got all the good stuff, chrome lined barrel, 2 stage trigger (if you like that), Hogue grip. It's a great price.

Check it out here.
www.eaglefirearms.net/Rock%20River%20Arms%20Rifles.htm

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#3]
True, but looks like it is out of stock...I was thinking bout getting one from there myself.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
LMT Complete upper $485
Bolt/Carrier $100
Complete Bushmaster lower $280 with 6 position lower

$865 but it sure beats the hell out of the Colt that costs twice as much.

Or, go with the RRA for $720 with an incorrect profile heavy barrel made out of inferior steel.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Colt LE 6920, it's the best you can get.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Colt LE 6920, it's the best you can get.  

I agree with norman.   If you want to spent Colt type money, get his setup and then get yourself about $750 worth of ammo and mags.  You will be WAY ahead.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Both Adco and Eagle are out of the model I mentioned from the looks of things.  I checked Gunbroker for a quick price check on the Colt LE6920 and it's most definitely out of my price range.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
LMT Complete upper $485
Bolt/Carrier $100

Or, go with the RRA for $720 with an incorrect profile heavy barrel made out of inferior steel.

incorrect profile?  inferior steel?  HA!...  a couple of degrees difference in heat stress... and i had steve make mine gov. profile...  besides some full auto m4's are h-bars anyways...  you go spend the extra money... see where it gets you
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
LMT Complete upper $485
Bolt/Carrier $100

incorrect profile?  inferior steel?  HA!...  a couple of degrees difference in heat stress... and i had steve make mine gov. profile...  besides some full auto m4's are h-bars anyways...  you go spend the extra money... see where it gets you

I know where it gets me.  Trouble is you penny pinchers never will.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
 I know ill get knocked for this, but model1sales kit. I think its around 450 or $500 then a stagarms lower $85 stripped or $135 complete from www.eaglefirearms.net  . Ive got two now one is 5.56 and the other is a 6.8. Both shoot awesome! They have chrome lined as well. Some say the lower internals are soft and cheap, I have had my first one for over a year now, thousands of rounds through it and no problem. I highly recommend model1sales.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 I know ill get knocked for this, but model1sales kit. I think its around 450 or $500 then a stagarms lower $85 stripped or $135 complete from www.eaglefirearms.net  . Ive got two now one is 5.56 and the other is a 6.8. Both shoot awesome! They have chrome lined as well. Some say the lower internals are soft and cheap, I have had my first one for over a year now, thousands of rounds through it and no problem. I highly recommend model1sales.

At one time I would have agreed, but I and a shit-ton of other members here won't be buying anything from them after the way they treated a member and acted about it after the fact.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=277277

I'd stick with J&T or one of the other parts companies personally if you're wanting to go that route.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
LMT Complete upper $485
Bolt/Carrier $100

Interesting, as long as you have personal knowledge, I have been dying to know what an actual shooter has seen as a diference between 4140 and 4150 steel in a barrel.  Please let us know, because I can honestly say that you are the first person who I have read making this claim, and I've never seen the difference in shooting with the different barrels myself, no matter how hot I got them.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
LMT Complete upper $485
Bolt/Carrier $100

Interesting, as long as you have personal knowledge, I have been dying to know what an actual shooter has seen as a diference between 4140 and 4150 steel in a barrel.  Please let us know, because I can honestly say that you are the first person who I have read making this claim, and I've never seen the difference in shooting with the different barrels myself, no matter how hot I got them.

Thanks.

I wasn't just referring to the barrel steel, I assumed that scrooge was bashing the whole entire setup.  However as there is currently an entire thread of people both bashing and defending the LMT, I don't think I need to waste more time preaching to the unconvertible here.
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=207230

At the end of the day buy whatever makes you happy.  If that's a $200 SP1 with a bent barrel, it's no sweat off my balls.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If that's a $200 SP1 with a bent barrel, it's no sweat off my balls.

If you've got a $200 SP1 with a bent bbl., or sans bbl. for that matter I'll buy it. You can keep the sweat too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in the process of building a M4 right now. The total cost will be right about $750 and it will be all high quality parts. An Ameetec lower($90), RRA LPK($54), RRA 6 pos. buttstock($69), Hogue grip($15) and a CMMG upper($525).

I think this setup will be on par with most rifles costing even several hundred dollars more.

My original plans were to use a Model 1 M4 kit, but for about $140 more I'll have the piece of mind of having better parts.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Which CMMG upper? They changed their web-page recently.
They had alot more selection just a few months ago.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm going to get the 16" MOD4, but with an A2 style upper and the E.G.R.E.S.S. bolt upgrade.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I won't get into the merits of 4140 vs. 4150, but the profile definitely is something worth considering. Awhile back, RRA Entry Tacticals came with barrels that were light under the handguards - it seems that currrent R-4 barrels are indeed heavy under the barrel, which definitely detracts from the overall package. Out of curiosity, does anybody have any solid info on when/why the switch was made?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#19]
89K got the right idea.

Since you made the first major decision already (buying a new AR15) instead of a used one, you are already well on your way to get your new toy.

Building your own will result in a high quality rifle for less $$, but if you aren't cool with getting down and dirty and building your own, MY SUGGESTION would be to:

#1. SET A PRICE FOR YOUR BUDGET

#2. Get the absolute BEST gun you can within budget. When it comes to guns....ANY gun the old saying "You get what you pay for" is as good as gold. I don't recommend you get ANY 'budget' AR. If you say within the "A B C R's" of AR15's you should be more than OK. (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, RRA)

#3. Forget fancy forearm furniture. Forget accessory rails. Never mind about 2 stage this, or folding that. You're buying a GUN, not a prom dress.

#4. DO pay attention to build quality. Look for stuff like chrome lined barrels and forged recievers. Regardless of price, you do want a gun that lasts if at all possible right?

#5. Make sure your new AR has some sort of warranty. That warranty is one of the biggest differences between buying a new or used gun.  Granted MOST AR15's probably won't KABOOM! within their first year with you...but then again, you could be one of the lucky individuals on this Earth sponsored by an Ammo company and have nothing to do all day but shoot your gun.

Finally...give Bushmaster a look. I got my M4gery for $830.00. I am really pleased with the gun so far, and have already cycled through it's first 500 rounds. The finish is TOUGH and scratch resistant, and the gun functions great.

E
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#20]
if i fire 3 30rd mags as fast as i can out of two guns, one with 4140 and one with 4150... you aren't going to see any differnce in the hits on a human siloette @ 300m...

bah.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:44:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
LMT Complete upper $485
Bolt/Carrier $100

Twice as much?  Surely you don't believe that.  I spent just over $900 for my Colt M4.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "Colt Fanatic," but I do think there's something to be said for their consitant quality.  Not to say you're not safe going with other brands.  

I am interested in looking into LMT uppers for my next AR build.  I've heard some good things about them;, but I'm not to keen on having their logo engraved on the side of the upper.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:43:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

#1. SET A PRICE FOR YOUR BUDGET

#2. Get the absolute BEST gun you can within budget. When it comes to guns....ANY gun the old saying "You get what you pay for" is as good as gold. I don't recommend you get ANY 'budget' AR. If you say within the "A B C R's" of AR15's you should be more than OK. (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, RRA)

#3. Forget fancy forearm furniture. Forget accessory rails. Never mind about 2 stage this, or folding that. You're buying a GUN, not a prom dress.

#4. DO pay attention to build quality. Look for stuff like chrome lined barrels and forged recievers. Regardless of price, you do want a gun that lasts if at all possible right?

#5. Make sure your new AR has some sort of warranty. That warranty is one of the biggest differences between buying a new or used gun.  Granted MOST AR15's probably won't KABOOM! within their first year with you...but then again, you could be one of the lucky individuals on this Earth sponsored by an Ammo company and have nothing to do all day but shoot your gun.

Finally...give Bushmaster a look. I got my M4gery for $830.00. I am really pleased with the gun so far, and have already cycled through it's first 500 rounds. The finish is TOUGH and scratch resistant, and the gun functions great.

E

+1 on all counts.

I have a Bushmaster and a kit from J&T.  I've owned Colt in the past.  I can honestly say that I'm happy with what I currently have.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
LMT Complete upper $485
Bolt/Carrier $100

Thanks.

I wasn't just referring to the barrel steel, I assumed that scrooge was bashing the whole entire setup.  However as there is currently an entire thread of people both bashing and defending the LMT, I don't think I need to waste more time preaching to the unconvertible here.
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=207230

At the end of the day buy whatever makes you happy.  If that's a $200 SP1 with a bent barrel, it's no sweat off my balls.

Did you miss my point, or simply not have an answer?  I think LMT makes a good product, but my question was specific to the 4140/4150 issue as I have been looking for a serious answer from someone who actually knows something.  I thought you may have been able to help, instead you drop the collective IQ.  Why?  Your other thread has nothing to do with this one, and I think you are above it.

Just an observation.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#24]
You give 'em hell, Stickman!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
LMT Complete upper $485
Bolt/Carrier $100

Norman74,

Whats the best place to get an LMT complete upper?

Thanks in advance!

- Gazukull
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Look in the EE under AR15 new parts.  They have a few dealers that sell them at the same price.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You give 'em hell, Stickman!

Not trying to give him hell, but there is too much mis-information floating around, and I was hoping he would actually be willing to give valid info.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Inferior steel?  Hey Norm , 7 30's full auto w/30 seconds between mags & no worse for the wear! Arn't We opinionated?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#29]
OLY lower   $95.00
Model 1 Sales kit   $495.00

Total                       $590.00

Putting 10000 rounds of Wolf thru it with out any hic ups, __________?

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I've opted to go with an LE Stamped Bushmaster Patrolman's M4 A3.  Thanks to all for your opinions.  I'm picking her up tomorrow on my lunch break.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Alright, I ended up with a Bushy, but not the LE Stamped one.  The dealer I purchased from had just got his new shipment in about an hour before I got to the store.  He gave me the non-LE stamped one for $100 less than the other one and threw in 2 extra 30 round magazines.  Apparently one of his regular customers wanted the LE Bushy really bad.  I know the other one would be more of a collector's item, but I just couldn't justify it when he presented me with the other deal.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Alright, I ended up with a Bushy, but not the LE Stamped one.  The dealer I purchased from had just got his new shipment in about an hour before I got to the store.  He gave me the non-LE stamped one for $100 less than the other one and threw in 2 extra 30 round magazines.  Apparently one of his regular customers wanted the LE Bushy really bad.  I know the other one would be more of a collector's item, but I just couldn't justify it when he presented me with the other deal.

Congrats..... I was supposed to pick mine up at lunch today also, but couldnt get away from work.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top