Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/24/2004 6:03:19 PM EDT
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you flute the barrel?  I can only think of positives from doing this.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't think of a good reason not to, if you have the money.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do it and see what the change in harmonics does to your groups? May be bad, may be good?

I'm thinking of doing it right off the bat.  White Oak is capable of fluting their own barrels.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#4]
If I understand the SPR concept correctly, the idea was to make a sniper quality rifle that was not easily distinguished from a standard rifle, thus making our snipers less of an easy target for enemy snipers. A fluted barrel would individualize a soldier to an enemy. Fluting costs a bit, 100.00-150.00, and in most situations has little positive impact on performance/accuracy. Some in the benchrest community have stated they believe fluting adds stress to the barrel, as the flutes are added after the barrel is manufactured. Match barrels are stress relieved after manufacture by heat or cryo tempering. Kreiger barrels fluted by the manufacturer are the only barrels I'm aware of that are stress relieved after fluting.  Long strings of rapid fire may be an exception, as fluting adds surface area to the barrel exterior which may aid cooling. There is a minor weight saveing also. Bench rest shooters often flute barrels (about 1" diameter blanks) to preserve the extra 50fps velocity, save a critical 6-10oz of weight on a sporter rifle, which can't weight more than 10.5 lbs. all in with scope. But, fluting looks cool. I personally don't see much need for fluting. Sorry if that was to much of a ramble.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If I understand the SPR concept correctly, the idea was to make a sniper quality rifle that was not easily distinguished from a standard rifle, thus making our snipers less of an easy target for enemy snipers.

Nope

Ive heard something like that before, but dont the spotters usually carry an SPR type rifle?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If I understand the SPR concept correctly, the idea was to make a sniper quality rifle that was not easily distinguished from a standard rifle, thus making our snipers less of an easy target for enemy snipers.

Nope

Especailly in the case of the Mod0.  Unpainted, it looks nothing like an M16A4.  The Mod1, on the other hand, looks pretty close, but even an untrained eye, like mine could tell them apart.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#8]
That story is actually on the White Oak website too.

I'm thinking entirely of weight savings.  I think, depending on the depth of the fluting, it could be pretty substantial.  Also because White Oak is the manufacturer AND the fluter they'd be able to do it at the proper stage of the manufacturing process.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
^
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:44:06 AM EDT
[#11]
If you've got money to burn, flute away!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Well guys, I noticed the difference in appearence also. Just related what I'd heard. Government in action doesn't always make sense. Would someone like to educate me as to what the SPR was designed for? I like the look myself, will probably build one eventually for longer range giggles. Thanks, Mark
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Someone chime in here if I'm wrong.... IIRC, according to the documents (from the .gov) that I've read, it's the SAM-R (USMC variant?) that is supposed to be the precision look-alike of the M16-A4.   If I can find the link I'll post it later.

Edited:  Here's the link Project Metropolis Tactical Warrior Experiment: Phase Two, Guam.  -2MB .PDF download
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top