Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 5:28:49 PM EDT
Recently purchased new Bushmaster receiver to build A3 14.5 with Phantom and the magwell seems tight.  I compared it to 20 year old A2 20.  It is definitely tighter than my old AR.  Any suggestions.  Strangely enough, my GI 20 mags drop free but all of my GI 30s will not.  Any suggestion as to a fix or should I modify mags by impacting the mag release catch?  Is Bushmaster better today or is my 20 year old receiver supperior?  This is my first post but have been active shooter for 25years.  THIS IS A GREAT SITE!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You might do a quick check of the triggerguard to make sure it's  not over lapping into the magazine well just a tad.

I had this issue on one gun where the plastic trigger guard was rubbing on the back side of the magazines, strangely enough it was rubbing the 20s more than it was the 30s.   The 30s would drop free while the 20s had to be pulled out.    All because the trigger guard was rubbing the back of the magazine.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks uglygun,  I checked the trigger guard but not the problem.  Thanks for the advise though.  'Was wondering about sending back to bushmaster, but I think they might make it to loose by stretching it with ther magwell jig.  The fact that they have such a thing tells me I'm not the only one with this problem.  I just want to make sure I do the right thing.  I know there is a lot of experience here at AR15.COM.  Just thought I would throw it out there for suggestions.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Send it back to Bushmaster. An out of spec magwell is definitely a serious issue. They ought to be able to fix it, or replace it.

Call there customer service and ask them for advice first.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the same problem with a stripped lower I purchased back in 2000.  At the time, I contacted their tech support and they said the finish was probably a bit thick and it would wear down with use.  Well I did not think that was a good answer but being busy with other things I put it away for four years.  With the expiring ban in September, I decided to dig it out of storage and contact them again about the problem.  They said the original response I was given was wrong and to send it back for repair.  I had it back a week later and all was fine.  I have to say I am very impressed that after four years they were still willing to make it right.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Combat_Jack!  You're right!  I won't mess with it.  It's new and under warranty.  I'll call and get an RMA#.  Thanks for the sound advice.

buouhaha... Get a grip!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Aardvark, Thanks!  They obviously have a problem with out of spec magwells.  I have never had a problem with Bushmaster in the past.  If they make it right, I would buy from them again.  My 20 year old A2 20 has been flawless.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hmmm...

I'll chime like alot of the others here by saying:

"I have five Bushmaster lowers and no problem with any of them."

Edited to add:

I wish we could see a serial number history of the tight magwelled lowers.  I'd guess it is a single batch problem, with the lowers spread all over the country.  The guy cutting the magwells had a few too many the night before or during lunch break that day.  This makes about four of five that I have heard of from, say, a million Bushmaster lowers.  I'd bet the purple receiver issue is similiar.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Have a gunsmith put a micrometer, I had a problem with a Bushi that bolt would not lock back on the empty mag, well the smith checked and founf the magwell outta spec. send it back, they got plenty of recievers....
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Astroglide
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#12]
mongo001,  Thanks for the reply.  Just to let you know, I went back to my local gun shop and checked the Bushmasters on the rack.  I checked approximately 10 of em and NOT one had a tight magwell like mine.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#13]
cobra-ak, I have a set of calipers.  Do you know where  I can get the measurements?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
mongo001,  Thanks for the reply.  Just to let you know, I went back to my local gun shop and checked the Bushmasters on the rack.  I checked approximately 10 of em and NOT one had a tight magwell like mine.  

That's good to know, gunney.  

I just chimed in because it seems that every time someone has a problem with any particular item, a large number of people chime in that they have never had a problem with that particular item, which never really helps the original poster with their problem.  

Then you got certain Colt elitists............[coughing]Bradd_D[/coughing] that get their jollies from seeing people have problems with their Bushmasters.  These problems are relatively few in relation to the number of Bushmasters out there, but some people can't let go.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Just measured my old Bushy vs. my new one.  The old one is 1.000" at the magwell opening.  The new one is 0.994".  I guess 6 thousandths makes a big difference.  Just thought I would pass that along incase anyone else wants a baseline measuement.  Thanks everbody for your help.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The old one is 1.000" at the magwell opening.  The new one is 0.994".

Noted.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry WRONG measurements.  My eyes can't read the numbers right.  Went back and checked.  Sould be 0.894" for the tight one, 0.98" for my old reliable one.  I checked colt blueprints and they stat 0.898" for front of magwell closest to the muzzle.  I'm not an engineer and this is not an easy measurement.  But this is my best guestiment.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Shit..  I mean 0.894 / 0.898  Now I can't type either.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The old one is 1.000" at the magwell opening.  The new one is 0.994".

RE-Noted.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I sent a lower back to BM once, for "stretching"!

No shit.  That's what they said.  They could "Stretch the magwell."

I don't know what they really did.....
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Olympic syndrome?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Olympic syndrome?

OAI hasn't had that problem for years.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's good to know, gunney.  

I just chimed in because it seems that every time someone has a problem with any particular item, a large number of people chime in that they have never had a problem with that particular item, which never really helps the original poster with their problem.  

Then you got certain Colt elitists............[coughing]Bradd_D[/coughing] that get their jollies from seeing people have problems with their Bushmasters.  These problems are relatively few in relation to the number of Bushmasters out there, but some people can't let go.

What is funny is that I ran a firing line yesterday and the only weapons that had problems were Colts (2 of them).....  It doesn't make Colt a bad weapon, but the myth that only Colts will run is highly over rated.  Every company has problems from time to time, it is how they handle it, and how often those problems occur that is noteworthy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Olympic syndrome?

OAI hasn't had that problem for years.

Somebody posted about a tight OAI last week.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:07:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Let's not turn yet another thread into BM vs Colt AGAIN!

EVERY manufacturer will have some issues.  The importatnt thing is will they fess up and fix it or not.  

Gunney - please let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:12:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hmmm...

Edited to add:

I wish we could see a serial number history of the tight magwelled lowers.  I'd guess it is a single batch problem, with the lowers spread all over the country.  The guy cutting the magwells had a few too many the night before or during lunch break that day.  This makes about four of five that I have heard of from, say, a million Bushmaster lowers.  I'd bet the purple receiver issue is similiar.

This may not mean anything but I read a recent thread claiming that LMT was now the sub that BM uses for their lowers. My recently (last 6 months) purcheased PWA marked\LMT made lower also has a tight mag well. Apparetnly this is something to keep an eye on with LMT made lowers?

Quoted:
Tannerite should stretch it right out

Can you go into more detail about that?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:38:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
 Any suggestion as to a fix or should I modify mags by impacting the mag release catch?  

Gunney!  Does this mean that you think the mag catch does not release properly?
                If you push the mag release button in far enough, you can lessen the engagement
                distance by screwing the mag catch out. From the quote above, I thought this might
                be part of your problem. Good Luck.

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
. send it back, they got plenty of recievers....

They are backordered, apparently for more than a month right now. There is a thread in the Bushmaster forum.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Johnny_C, I tried to mag-catch initially.  This is definitely NOT the problem.

chp5, I agree with you 100%.  I have never  heard one bad complaint about Bushmaster's customer service either.  I understand shit happens.  I called and talked to BM's service dept.  I got an RMA#.  Will ship today.  I will let everyone know what the problem was, resolution, and any other facts that surface.  Thanks everybody for your help and commitment to helping me solve this issue.

-gunney

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:48:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I had this same experience with a Bushmaster that I bought used from the EE here.  They seller told me that he did not know that the mags were supposed to drop out when released.  ANyway I sent it back to Bushmaster and they sent me a brand new lower back.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:08:12 AM EDT
[#31]
This is all interesting... my first and only operatative AR is a Bushie and its been tight on everything except the 10 rounder it came with...

I have a pre-ban PWA but havent had a chance to check it out... (been out of state... for months)

Maybe giving Bushmaster a call would be in order.... maybe grab some calipers first?

- BG
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#32]

This is all interesting... my first and only operatative AR is a Bushie and its been tight on everything except the 10 rounder it came with...

I have a pre-ban PWA but havent had a chance to check it out... (been out of state... for months)

Maybe giving Bushmaster a call would be in order.... maybe grab some calipers first?

- BG

I would definitly call them and they will tell you to send in the lower.  They said they could fix it but when mine came back it was brand new with a new serial number.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hmmm...

Edited to add:

This may not mean anything but I read a recent thread claiming that LMT was now the sub that BM uses for their lowers. My recently (last 6 months) purcheased PWA marked\LMT made lower also has a tight mag well. Apparetnly this is something to keep an eye on with LMT made lowers?

Quoted:
Tannerite should stretch it right out

Can you go into more detail about that?

Thanks

Brouhaha was making a joke...Tannerite would...blow your lower to peices.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Brouhaha was making a joke...Tannerite would...blow your lower to peices.

Ah! I see said the blind man! Well, just more proof that I'm an idiot! I had no idea what "Tannerite" was until I read your post and did a google search on it.

Thanks for being gentle!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I have spent considerable time researching the Tight Magwell issue; acquiring blueprints and taking a multitude of measurements in and around the magazine-well. Only to discover, that my Bushmaster Lower is infact "in spec" and well within required tolerances.  These tolerances are even desirable!  I consulted many knowlegable people at AR15.com. at Bushmaster, and in my local area who are well versed in mechanical engineering, quality assurance, and firearms manufacture.  I would like to thank everyone who helped me discover the real issue.

The issue is NOT the Magwell at all!  The issue is directly related to magazine manufacture and the lack of quality assurance in their manufacturing techniques and quality control.  I'm NOT talking about USA magazines either.  Everyone knows they are Junk.  I am talking about government contractors (Adventure Line MFG, Center Industries Corp, Colt, Simmonds Prec. Prod. Inc., Parsons, etc.)  They all seem to be lacking quality assurance procedures!

Bushmaster's Only fault in this was the fact that they currently manufacture lower receviers that are optimally tight.  Whomever the subcontractor may be, they are doing a fine job.  Obviously a benefit of modern-day CNC machining and QA certifications.  

Would I buy from Bushmaster again?  Absolutely!!!

AS to my faults, thats another issue.

Thanks Everybody!!!
Gunney

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top