Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/24/2004 6:04:50 AM EDT
I just bought an Olympic Plinker. I understand that it has cast recievers, and that it's not the highest quality gun Olympic ever put out, but did they have any specific problems? This one seems unfired, and it doesn't have a tight magwell, and seems to function okay. Should I treat this one as trading stock??

Bob
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:14:05 AM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is the new Oly Plinker's are forged upper and lower, so if you just bought it, unless it was used or old inventory, it should be forged. see HERE to find out how you can tell whether it is cast or forged.

Many here will knock Oly, and they may have had bad experiences with them. However you should take what you read here or anywhere else with a grain of salt and place more weight on your own experience with the rifle. I have an Oly that has been 100% reliable, with no problems at all. The only gripe I had was the non-chrome lined 4140 steel barrel, so I replaced the original barrel with a chrome-lined 4150 steel barrel. The original was not corrosion resistant enough for me. Other than that, I had no problems. Many range reports I have seen on AR15.com about Plinker owners have been favorable. Go out and shoot it and have some fun, sounds like a keeper to me. I have 6000 rounds through my Oly, still runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say as long as it functions properly shoot it. Like the old saying " If it ain't broks dont fix it".
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My understanding is the new Oly Plinker's are forged upper and lower, so if you just bought it, unless it was used or old inventory, it should be forged. see HERE to find out how you can tell whether it is cast or forged.

Good information, thank you....mine is cast. I figured it would be.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:28:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

Well, if and when the lower breaks, as some have, I guess Oly will replace for you w/a forged piece
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

Well, if and when the lower breaks, as some have, I guess Oly will replace for you w/a forged piece

If they don't try to weasel out of the warranty by claiming you used improper ammo.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No kidding?  That's pretty hard to beat.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought one of these a few weeks ago.  I luckily go the forged version and love it.  I have put a few hundred rounds through it with no problems.  I'll bet you'll be happy.

I'm planning on buying another shortly.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top