Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2004 5:45:13 PM EDT
I have and have owned many ARs.
My latest is the Colt 6920.
I miss the hard as nails COLT GRAY finish so much. The finish on these new colts is poor compared to the colt gray. I picked up a bushmaster M4 last month and it is pretty good for finish quality. But I have to say that these new colts are nothing compared to colt gray.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
My 6520 Govt Carbine is Colt Gray, and I like it
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My 6520 Govt Carbine is Colt Gray, and I like it

+1

Lonny
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
My Lightweight Sporter lower is Colt grey and I like it much better than the black. My LE6721 upper came black when new and made a strange looking 2-tone. I had the upper Wilson Combats Armor Tuff grey coated for a really close color match. There isn't nearly as noticable color difference in person over these pics. The camera/lighting seems to exaggerate the difference.

Grey Colt Lightweight Sporter
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Bring back the Gray I say! Are you listening industry partners? I know it's called the Black Rifle, but gray was so classic.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I am thinking about having my M4gery redone in Colt Grey with black furniture.   It is a classy look IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:21:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Big fan of the grey too, I have a J-15 in grey with green furniture....personally I think it looks sharp. I'm making a Sp1 carbine on a Bushy lower...once I have all the parts...I'll get it  Dura-coated in grey....or some other similar finish...plus then it's not an evil black cop killing gun...because it's grey....all cops will go home safe at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:28:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Here's mine...

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Get some flat grey gunkote and saome flat black gun kote and mix the one part flat black to three parts flat grey and you will get a shade that is very nice. It is as close to the "old" colt grey as you are going to get. Oh yeah David_Hineline is correct the old colt grey came about from poor anodizing skills.

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I disagree. The older grey finish on the blue label/green label Colts was a painted on finish over anodizing.

I too like it better.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Get some flat grey gunkote and saome flat black gun kote and mix the one part flat black to three parts flat grey and you will get a shade that is very nice. It is as close to the "old" colt grey as you are going to get. Oh yeah David_Hineline is correct the old colt grey came about from poor anodizing skills.

IPSC_GUY

Or just order the Norrells....  I've done a few weapons with it, and they look pretty good.

GRAYISH-BLACK Flat
Dark gray-black coloration with a flat appearance. This duplicates the appearance of the early original Colt AR-15/M-16 finish. This is the same product that is purchased from us by the U.S. Military to refinish Colt M-16's.

molyresin.com/molyresin_about.asp
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I know you've all seen this pic, but this is the above finish......

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:17:48 AM EDT
[#13]
That is an awesome pic!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The Grey was a mistake due to poor anodizing skills.

The grey color was certainly not a mistake, it was a requirement! The requirerment was for a very good reason and still is. Black is one oif the things that stand out from the distance for enemy to spot, even though the man wears como. A grey color is much more difficult to see, hence even ships of war are grey, as are many military otics, mounts, etc. etc. It takes more skill to control grey than a simple black.
Jack
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Grey was a mistake due to poor anodizing skills.

Quoted:
The grey color was certainly not a mistake, it was a requirement! The requirerment was for a very good reason and still is. Black is one oif the things that stand out from the distance for enemy to spot, even though the man wears como. A grey color is much more difficult to see, hence even ships of war are grey, as are many military otics, mounts, etc. etc. It takes more skill to control grey than a simple black.

I wonder why the handguards, stock, and pistol grip also weren't gray then.

But yeah, I also like gray more than black as a weapon finish.  Gray blends into more environments IMO.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#16]
The A1 hand guards were (are) a dark charcoal grey. The grips were more grey than the A2, since they are not as shinney. The object was also not to have all the same color, because a mixture of color is better for built in como effect. The Mags are still grey. Utility, not fashion is the goal for fighting men, and camo of any kind is better than none at all.
Jack
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top