Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 4:27:01 AM EDT
I am considering sending an unfired Bushmaster AR Superlight Stubby back to Bushmaster to have an M4 config barrel and collapsable stock installed.  I picked this up dirt cheap from someone who just bought a new pre ban config M4.

My understanding is that anything I buy from them, they will install free, my only cost being the shipping and the cost of the parts.  New barrel and stock installed and returned to me for a little over $300.  That still puts me in a new M4 config for about $650.

I am sure I can probably save a buck or two on the cost of the parts by buying somewhere other than direct from Bushmaster, but a few extra bucks is worth it to me that have the work done right the first time.

The stock swap I can do myself, but barrel replacement and head spacing is something I would have someone else do regardless.

I am looking for input from folks out there with FIRST HAND experience dealing with Bushmaster service.  

Thanks in advance,

BT
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:52:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Be forewarned they are probably trying to pump out their  no-bans as fast as they can and your install would probably go to the bottom of the pile.

ETA: I have bought from them several times before and had no problems except for a bickering problem between them and one of their suppliers.  QC on their products is top notch IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I send uppers to be rebarreled and as long as it uses their parts"barrel"assembly is free just have to pay cost of parts and shipping,although it may take awhile because they are so buisy
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:14:41 AM EDT
[#3]
If I read correctly all the Bushmaster barrels are headspaced at the factory so all you would have to do is install youself.

We've lightened our unique Dissipator barrel design by incorporating the M4 profile, and retained the benefit of the full sight. Already headspaced at the factory, this assembly includes all parts forward of the Upper Receiver. Also available "Barrel Only" with barrel nut; handguard cap; gas block and front sight. Pre-Ban Barrel Only does not include the flash suppressor.

Headspacing… All our barrel assemblies are headspaced at the factory and are shipped ready for assembly and use. Barrel assemblies can be ordered with either a stepped, crowned muzzle (for Post-Ban rifles) or a threaded muzzle for attachment of a flash suppressor or muzzle brake (legal for use only on Pre-Ban lower receivers). BATF rulings permit permanent factory installation of muzzle brakes on certain Post-Ban barrels if overall length equals at least 16". Ask your Bushmaster representative about the variety of muzzle brake options available for Post-Ban barrels.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:50:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am considering sending an unfired Bushmaster AR Superlight Stubby back to Bushmaster to have an M4 config barrel and collapsable stock installed.  I picked this up dirt cheap from someone who just bought a new pre ban config M4.

My understanding is that anything I buy from them, they will install free, my only cost being the shipping and the cost of the parts.  New barrel and stock installed and returned to me for a little over $300.  That still puts me in a new M4 config for about $650.

I am sure I can probably save a buck or two on the cost of the parts by buying somewhere other than direct from Bushmaster, but a few extra bucks is worth it to me that have the work done right the first time.

The stock swap I can do myself, but barrel replacement and head spacing is something I would have someone else do regardless.

I am looking for input from folks out there with FIRST HAND experience dealing with Bushmaster service.  

Thanks in advance,

BT

First let me say I am a rookie when it comes to gunsmithing.  I installed my own barrel I ordered from BM.  There are good folks with instructions here that will help you.  Just get the right tools.  There is really not much work in changing out a barrel.  It will save you a some cash and give you expierience for next time.

Steve
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top