Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/22/2004 7:16:25 PM EDT
Ok here's the deal. I'll be getting a complete upper pretty soon. I want chrome lining, reliability over accuracy and I probably won't add optics. I already have an Ameetec lower and have ordered a RRA LPK, Hogue grip and RRA M4 buttstock.

Here are the 2 uppers I'm considering:

From Adco: RRA M4 A3 style upper with detachable carrying handle and chrome lined barrel. Price $519.78 plus $4 shipping.

From CMMG: M4 A2 style upper with chrome lined barrel. Price $499 plus $10 shipping.

What I see as the pros for RRA: Great quality, A3 upper just in case I change my mind about the optics although I doubt I will, keeping the gun all RRA minus the receiver.

Cons for RRA is no A2 upper style available (that's not really much of a con, but it would save some money)

What I see the pros for CMMG is oustanding quality according to searchs I've done on this board, A2 style upper and slightly cheaper than the RRA(understandable as it is an A2 )

Cons for CMMG is that an A3 is available for the same price but comes without the carrying handle which would add about $100 more to the $499 price.

I know they're both good choices, but what do you guys think? Am I missing some other better ideas?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#1]
CMMG offers 1:7 twist--so that's probably the choice if you want to shoot heavier bullets; also uses 4150 steel (vs. 4140 with RRA).  Either company makes a good upper; I went with CMMG.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I was in pretty much the EXACT same boat as you, trying to decide what I wanted, from those two companies. I decided on the CMMG, MOD4A3 upper with detachable carry handle, because I plan on adding an EOTech 512F, and I like the 1:7 twist, 4150 steel, chrome lining, T-marked upper, and the nice feed ramp cuts in the CMMG. Plus Adco is out of the chrome lined M4 profile barrels. I haven't shot the rifle yet, but I may go to the range today and sight it in. I'm very impressed with the overal quality, fit, and finish of the CMMG. Either way, you won't go wrong. For what it's worth, the CMMG barrel and front sight have more of a grayish finish than a dark black, just a bit darker than the gray color of the detachable carry handle on the CMMG Inc. site. I don't know if that would influence your decision, but I thought I would mention it in case you were wondering about the color. Also, CMMG was a pleasure to deal with, knowledgeable, friendly staff,  and fast shipping.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top