Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 7:02:48 PM EDT
I am thinking of purchasing a rock river complete upper assembly. Afetr looking at their website I noticed that it says: Caliber .223 Wylde Chamber. What exactly is the Wylde Chamber? Please forgive my ignorance, but it is chambered for both .223 and 5.56 correct?

Those that have this upper assembly are you pleased with it?Thanks.

Link to Rock River Upper Assembly
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#1]
This has been covered many times before and you should do a search about the topic before you post a question about it...but I won't be an asshole and I'll answer your question.

A Wylde chamber is an intermediate chamber between a .223 and a 5.56 (which as you probably know is not the same thing, 5.56 being a bit looser). Unlike a .223 chamber though, you can shoot 5.56 ammo through it. The idea is for the cartridge to be tighter in the chamber to increase your accuracy. I like the theory behind it but I'm not sure how big the increase in accuracy really is. If you're going to be doing target shooting or varminting, the RRA Varmint rifle/upper is an excellent way to go.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This has been covered many times before and you should do a search about the topic before you post a question about it...but I won't be an asshole and I'll answer your question.

Kind of sounds like you are being one.

Why is some people so hung up about using the search? It only goes back 30 days for one thing and for another, if everybody used the search instead of posting a question then there wouldn't be anything new coming up in your search. Who gives a fuck if someone asks a question that has been asked before?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:17:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with you 89grand!!!!! I had a few "discussions" with some intolerent people,a "Mr Wilson" somes to mind. I just had to tell him off and then ignore him. Some people.......

bohr314, you just keep asking questions, and there will be plenty of "tolerent" people willing to answer your questions
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:44:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why is some people so hung up about using the search?

Wasting bandwidth.  for one.  

Yeah, I know, I'm being an a-hole.  And I'm wasting bandwidth by posting this.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Some people.......

It's part of the beauty of these boards.  

Yes, I'm being a smartass once again...and wasting more bandwidth.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:57:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Before you buy a RRA upper receiver, there is something you should know.... some people as of late have been having problems with the finish of their RRA uppers; after shooting and then cleaning their RRA upper only once, they have had their finish inside the receiver come off.

Check out the following thread:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=203996

It seems RRA had a bad batch of upper receivers get out. These receivers are suppose to be anodized Black, in no way should the anodizing come off after a single session of shooting and cleaning.

This maybe something you want to consider before buying your RRA upper.

I personally will not be using a RRA upper until I know for sure that this bad batch of uppers has been removed from dealers shelves. Instead, you may want to purchase a Colt or LMT upper.

You can purchase LMT uppers from several people on the Equipment Exchange such as Adco, Bravo company usa, G & R Tactical, and on and on.

You can purchase brand new Colt uppers (complete minus barrel) from Specialized Armament. Just click on the link and then search their Colt Parts page. You'll find it there.

Just remember, that if you use a Colt or LMT upper, they have M4 feed ramps machined in them, so you should use a barrel that has an M4 barrel extension in it; a barrel with a rifle barrel extension instead of a M4 barrel extension will overhang in these uppers.

Hope this helped.

ETA: On Specialized Armament's page, you can find Complete Colt uppers with complete barrel assembly, just as you can find complete LMT uppers with complete barrel assembly from the dealers I mentioned above. From your post, I originally thought you only wanted an upper receiver, not a complete upper.

Glockguy40
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:44:33 AM EDT
[#7]
So .223 or 5.56 will not have any problems? Thanks for help. The reason I want the Rock River upper is that I have a Rock River lower and I want to be sure the color schemes match.  I know, I know, but I want it to look nice. I have never heard of a Wylde chamber and that is why I asked.

I'll note the use of the search button too
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:41:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Read below:

answer #1

answer #2

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:44:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a member on like 100 other boards (whenever I have an interest in a hobby, I find a board and register) and this is the only one that has a restricted search limited to 30 days and SUBJECT searching only.

So if you're lucky and manage to find a thread that actually has a useful subject (i.e. what type of extractor spring to use, instead of "check this out.........") within the past 30 days, then the search feature works.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Bohr314,

Your question is legitimate and I too asked before I purchased my RRA.  Iy did take me a while to find the answer, the RRA catalog has a good explaination on the bottom of one of the pages.

I do not agree with the response from caneau, I have asked may questions over and over again and yes the search function on this board is not user friendly.

77Bronc
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:08:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone for the clarification. The links were a great help. It's hard to keep up with all of the different things in the ar15 world.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm a member on like 100 other boards (whenever I have an interest in a hobby, I find a board and register) and this is the only one that has a restricted search limited to 30 days and SUBJECT searching only.

So if you're lucky and manage to find a thread that actually has a useful subject (i.e. what type of extractor spring to use, instead of "check this out.........") within the past 30 days, then the search feature works.

I think that when you become a real member, you get unrestricted searches. So, the functionality exists, it's just not available to casual users.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:30:32 AM EDT
[#13]
The problem with RRA is an isolated one. BM in the past has had problems as well, including very noticible purple recievers and bent front site towers. Its all part of life. RRA will take care of any problem you have with their product.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Why is some people so hung up about using the search? It only goes back 30 days for one thing and for another, if everybody used the search instead of posting a question then there wouldn't be anything new coming up in your search. Who gives a fuck if someone asks a question that has been asked before?

+1
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone see problems with RRA Lowers?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So .223 or 5.56 will not have any problems? Thanks for help. The reason I want the Rock River upper is that I have a Rock River lower and I want to be sure the color schemes match.  I know, I know, but I want it to look nice. I have never heard of a Wylde chamber and that is why I asked.

I'll note the use of the search button too

Sorry to bust your fantasy, but I have three different Rock River pieces; two lowers and an upper,  and while the finishes are close with the upper and one of the lowers; NONE of the pieces have quite the same color and/or texture.

It'e the nature of anodizing aluminum.  Unless the two pieces go thru the same bath at the same time, you'll get minor variations from lot to lot. So unless you're planning to go to a dealer or show,with your lower in hand, to match with an upper you're buying, you'll probably get at least a slight variation.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I dont want to hijack this thread. but while we are sort of on the topic, how do you know whether a barrel extension is the M4 type or not?  I know the differences in WYLDE, 223, and 5.56 chambering, but what is the difference in M4 barrel extension feed ramps?  How do you tell?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I dont want to hijack this thread. but while we are sort of on the topic, how do you know whether a barrel extension is the M4 type or not?  I know the differences in WYLDE, 223, and 5.56 chambering, but what is the difference in M4 barrel extension feed ramps?  How do you tell?

Bigbore from Adco firearms did a great write up on this a couple weeks ago with pics and everything... very thorough. I can't find the thread using the search function.... maybe someone else can find it for you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought my RRA upper and lower separately and the finish looks like it matches to me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#21]
The last 2 complete uppers I bought (in the last 3 weeks) are very dark black compared to a couple I had 2 or 3 months ago. The uppers also fit with the RRA  lower with no pressure fitting at all.  The uppers a much darker than my lowers
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#22]
When I posted that message, the question about the Wylde chamber was on the first page of the Build it Yourself forum. Didn't even need to search. Now I actually did run a search about this topic and this question has been asked at least four times because that's how many hits I get with a search for "Wylde". I agree, the search feature on this board isn't great for non-paying members. I do think though that before asking a question, one should at least ATTEMPT to find the answer for themselves. Run a Google search on it, run a search on the boards, if you can't find an answer, then post.
Another idea I have, and I've proposed this before, is to have an expanded FAQ section. There are probably around 50-100 commonly asked questions that make up at least 30-50% of the traffic here. Wyle chamber, which brand, difference between 5.56 and .223, difference between A2 and A3, which sights, etc. Now granted, there are a lot of topics pinned that answer these questions, but they're scattered throughout the boards and sometimes you have to dig through half a dozen pages of posts just to find the answer you want. Why not combine them into one (searchable?) database that allows people to find quick and easy answers. Then if they still have more specific questions, they can post on the boards. We'd be saving bandwidth, saving time, and giving people one definative source of information for AR ownership.
Anyway, that's my rant about the subject. It's a great idea that I'm almost sure will never get turned into reality because what else would we do with the time we're not on the range or cleaning but answer the same question for the 18th time in a month
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#23]
You got a lot of ideas on how this site should run for being here only a month. If everybody only did a search and didn't post a question here unless there was absolutely no other way to find the answer then this board would be boring as hell. You could get off the board one day then get back on until a week later and there would only be like 4 new posts. The search function only works if there is information there, the way it is now any info that was there would all drop off after a month and then what...would you then allow questions to be asked again until the search function was useful again. Are you going to monitor the usefulness of the search and decide when it needs more information and then allow posted questions to resume? I'm sure plenty of people do use the search, including myself, and it's the current questions by people not using the search that gives me search results.

What's the point of this board if I should get my question answered somewhere else. The only reliable AR info is on AR15.COM.

I still don't know why anybody cares so much about using the search or not. If it's bandwidth that's the concern, then it shouldn't be wasted even more from people telling other people to use the search. If you really want to teach people a lesson about using the search just don't answer their question and then they'd have to use the search.

End of rant from a newbie.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Iv'e been here awhile. Being a member I can search for topics up to 3 months. Its a good thing to become a member and that way you can search for answers instead of asking the same ones over and over again. The more common questions SHOULD be searched and if you have an oddball question, ask away.
Hopefully my searched link helped someone today.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Iv'e been here awhile. Being a member I can search for topics up to 3 months. Its a good thing to become a member and that way you can search for answers instead of asking the same ones over and over again. The more common questions SHOULD be searched and if you have an oddball question, ask away.
Hopefully my searched link helped someone today.

Also remember that Goatboy is working on having the search go back all the way to day 1 for members as well.  Remember, it cost money (and a lot of it) to keep this site running.  The more bandwitdht we take up, the more it's gonna cost.  Be considerate to the owners of the site and search before you post.  It takes a couple of seconds to do that and a few minutes to go through the results if there are any.  If you are doing the searches, but are bitching about not being able to search past 30 days, then i would suggest paying for a membership and helping to keep the site running.  A basic membership is only $20 and will allow you to search back 3 months presently and all the way to the beginning of the site in the near future.   If you are here for free, then there isn't that much to bitch about.  You don't pay for anything, so don't be surprised if the service is less for you than those who do pay.  Try owning and operating a website of this site yourself ands see how much time and money it costs.  Then get back to me on how you think the site should operate.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I do not like the search function on this site at all. Only other board I hang out on is www.thirdgen.org . Search option there can be VERY detailed and by username and such. They must have a TON of bandwidth because you do not need a server to post pics or anything.

But I love this site. I have asked a lot of stupid easy questions and they have all been answered in much more detail than expected.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top