Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 5:30:39 PM EDT
I have a 20" A2 bushy and I wanted an inexpensive optic for punching paper or some <200yrd varmints. I got a $20 dollar off coupon for Cabela's and was wondering if the Ultra Sight would be worth a try, or what else should I be looking for? I would like to keep it under $200, the ATN is $140 w/ the coupon

Justin
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a Tacpoint instead.  they go for just over $100 and are perfect for a range gun.  Not suited for a combat rifle or SHTF, but youll be happy with it.. Only problem is you will need a $100 mount to go with it.

The ATN will also make a descent range optic only.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't Cabela's sell Hakko sights too Justin? The Hakko is similar in design and better than the ATN stuff.

Here's an add for them. As you can see, they are under $200.00. I know this isn't a Cabela's add, but I thought I seen a Hakko sight in their catalog before.

http://www.action-direct.com/hakmr02.html

Oh, and by the way, I have this sight mounted on my .30 cal carbine and I really like it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:21:16 AM EDT
[#5]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:26:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one I got off EE for cheap.

Great  sight? SHTF sight? Good sight? Nope, nope & nope.

Work for plinking? sure.

Worth >$100? Not in my opinion.

Save an extra $100 and by a reflex or something else.

BTW, I dread the day I drop this thing, as I really dont expect it to work afterwards. I may be wrong, but its not all that.

Just my .02

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#7]
dude, don't walk away from ATN....RUN!
I bought one about a year ago for backyard plinking with the AR15.  It lasted a whopping 300 rounds before it stopped working.  Every shot, the dot blinked off.  A sharp smack to the sight housing would bring it back.  EVERY SHOT.  I emailed the place I bought it from to get the warranty info.  I received a web address that no longer worked.  I did some detective work and found a working number/web address...I haven't been able to get anyone to pick up the phone, and haven't received a response to repeated emails.  Do yourself a favor and save up for something decent that has a customer service dept located somewhere in the USA.  Aimpoint, EOTech, Leupold, WHATEVER YOU LIKE.  Please, please, please PLEASE don't waste your money on this POS!

BTW, I wound up fixing it myself.  I took it apart and found a loose contact that needed to be built up a bit  (no big deal voiding a warranty that I couldn't get anyone to honor)  I then moved the ATN over to the 10/22. It lasted almost 500 rds on the 22 before it broke again...different contact broke off.  Now running EOTechs on the AR15, DPMS308 and a Bushnell HoloSight on the 10/22 and no problems to date.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a 20" A2 bushy and I wanted an inexpensive optic for punching paper or some <200yrd varmints. I got a $20 dollar off coupon for Cabela's and was wondering if the Ultra Sight would be worth a try, or what else should I be looking for? I would like to keep it under $200, the ATN is $140 w/ the coupon

Justin

Varmits under 200yds with a 4MOA red dot??? How about a low powered scope like the 1x4x20 Leupold VXII ? You can find them on Ebay for $150. If you want a red dot, I'd suggest getting a used Bushnell Holosight. I bought mine here on the EE for $150 and it looked new.
Its best to buy quality the first time around. Trust me. Iv'e been there and done that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea, I am now thinking about getting the bushnell trophy, it has a lifetime warranty at a decent price, $109.

Here is the link www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0015003711540a&navAction=push&navCount=1&indexId=cat320001&podId=0015003&catalogCode=QR&parentId=cat320001&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&hasJS=true

Oh yeah, so what do you guys think about the Smith Enterprise mount in the above post?

Varmits under 200yds with a 4MOA red dot??? How about a low powered scope like the 1x4x20 Leupold VXII ? You can find them on Ebay for $150. If you want a red dot, I'd suggest getting a used Bushnell Holosight. I bought mine here on the EE for $150 and it looked new.
Its best to buy quality the first time around. Trust me. Iv'e been there and done that.

I know a red dot sight w/o magnification isn't real good for hitting small objects out past 100yds but my marlin 333 has a tasco (I think it is 54mm) red dot that holds decent group at 150yds, so the holosight with 1x magnification should be good enough for me.Justin
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Any opinions of the mount or optic
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I got a Hakko Bed 34, same as tacpoint but doesnt look like aimpoint and I got it for $41 shipped!

The mount I used is a Aimpoint QRP Mount I bought on the EE for $65.  Total price $106.  

Great setup for paper punching.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top