Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2004 6:54:25 AM EDT
I was wondering if most guys are shooting their Colt 6920's (and 6721's) or if you're stashing them away NIB.

I recently sold a neutered Colt 20" 6601C to fund a Bushmaster M4gery. I couldn't fing a Bushy locally but I did find a NIB 6920 at a local show for $1250. I probably paid too much but then again I see folks are paying more than that.

I'm going to shoot my AR because it's the only one I have and I can't afford to buy another one to keep NIB. These guns may go up in value down the road, but even so I don't think the difference between a fired an unfired example will allow me to retire any earlier. I have a feeling that there will be many thousands of these guns put away NIB.

Actually if i were buying an LE marked gun to put away it would be a 6721 as it looks like the demand is less for these at this time.

So who out there is shooting their 6920's?

Randy
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#1]
My LE6920 just sits in the safe. My Bushy LEM4A3 on the other hand see's plenty of use. I'm more of a Bushmaster fan then Colt anyways.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:06:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I have shot mine and will continue.  I waited a long time to get the rifle that I wanted and I am not

going to let it set in the safe.  I don't have any safe queens at my house.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey Randy did you buy that at Allentown?  If so, I think I spoke with you after the purchase because the individual said the same thing about the 6721's.  Which I do agree, everyone is buying the 6920's but the tac, cars will probably go up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I waited forever to get mine and so far its seen 150rds or so. I will continue to shoot it. Making it sit in the safe is like buying a ferrari and letting it sit in the garage. Screw that!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I am new to the AR world, (held out for the AWB sunset) and there is no way I could have kept myself from shooting my 6920 when it came in unless I had another AR to shoot instead. I know alot of people that sit on n.i.b. weapons their whole lives, never to experience the joy of firing the weapon or the profit of its sale. I've always wanted to use one of these rifles, not just own one. I didn't really anticipate as big a rush after the AWB sunset, and I didn't go through all that trouble of getting my first AR not to enjoy it. So I guess that means 1 less LE6920 on the future market, because this one is and always will be mine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hey Randy did you buy that at Allentown? If so, I think I spoke with you after the purchase because the individual said the same thing about the 6721's. Which I do agree, everyone is buying the 6920's but the tac, cars will probably go up.

Hello Legend,
Yes, we spoke at the Allentown show. You certainly got a great price on your 6920s.  Funny thing, just a couple of weeks ago I just missed an AR-15 A3 Tactical from before the AWB. That was one of only 134 that made it into civilian hands. I think it went for $1500 or so. I would have liked to had a chance at that one!

Randy
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am new to the AR world, (held out for the AWB sunset) and there is no way I could have kept myself from shooting my 6920 when it came in unless I had another AR to shoot instead. I know alot of people that sit on n.i.b. weapons their whole lives, never to experience the joy of firing the weapon or the profit of its sale. I've always wanted to use one of these rifles, not just own one. I didn't really anticipate as big a rush after the AWB sunset, and I didn't go through all that trouble of getting my first AR not to enjoy it. So I guess that means 1 less LE6920 on the future market, because this one is and always will be mine.

Similar story here, but I got an HB model.  Actually, I bought 6 and sold 5 of them.  Keeping one for myself.  I think I'm going to buy a Bushy M4A3 type and use that one instead, and put my 6920HB away to keep it as new as possible.  I get the feeling that the 6920s (and the HBs) will be worth much more than people around here think one day.  The only people that say they wont be are the ones that dont have them.  No matter what anybody may say to the contrary, the 6920s, 6520s, and the 6721s ALL became collectibles as soon as the AWB sunset ocurred.  That is a fact.  Just ask any SEROUS gun collector, not somebody that just HAS a lot of guns, or that's been shooting M16s since Vietnam.  As I once posted somewhere else on this forum, the people who trash-talk the values of their 6920/HBs are just like the people who could have bought beachfront property 50 years ago but thought it was too expensive.  Most of those people (like XM777) could have bought one when they were more reasonably priced and now all they do is go around the forums and stomp/ridicule/harrass people for buying and selling them.  They're just jealous, plain and simple.  In no way do I think these rifles are superior to any particular other ARs... I never claimed that... They are simply more collectible.  That's why I'm getting a Bushy for shooting.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I paid for my LE6920 a month before the sunset and waited till Sept. 13th for it to be shipped. I HAD fully intended to shoot my 6920 but with all the excitement over them and Colt not wanting to sell to us mere civilians, I think I'll hold off shooting it awhile to see what happens. I still have a couple other AR's to shoot in the meantime. I lost some value on my all original 6520 Government Carbine I bought a couple years ago so maybe I can make up some of my loss with this 6920.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I went a different way with my 6920s and 6721. Rather than buy complete rifles I purchased uppers, barrels, and lowers to build my own. Even though they'll be all Colt when finished (I haven't had time to build everything up yet), they won't command the value of a factory built 6920 or 6721. Since mine won't be especially collectible I'm going to shoot them until the gas tubes glow

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I have about 300 rounds through my now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I haven't recieved My LE6920 yet But I am patient

I haven't recieved my 6721 yet either but I'm patient, this one should be here in the next week or so.

untill then I just have to be happy I didn't pay a overinflated price for either of them

Edited to add:

WHen they do come in, I am going to shoot thei shit out of them
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Still haven't got my 6920 in yet, but as soon as I get it, I'll be shooting it every chance I get.  It'll be my first and only AR for a while.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They're just jealous, plain and simple.  In no way do I think these rifles are superior to any particular other ARs... I never claimed that... They are simply more collectible.  

The big problem you have with the "collectibility" of any Colt is you are just collecting a "rare" variation, not a separate model. You own something that could be made tomorrow with a quick change in policy...your gun isn't banned now, it is just "rare" because Colt right now is acting like the biggest asshole in the AR community. If you truly want something rare, go buy a Sig 550 or a Famas...otherwise you have a variation of the 6920 that no one can tell the difference unless they take off the handguards. Am I jealous? lol...nah, I'm a shooter and not a collector, and I have they same type of M4 mock bbl. on my J&T. You know, your rare 1 of 300 was cheaper to make than a normal 6920 don't you?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I only put 3 mags through my new LE 6920 at last weeks shoot,  Too manny other people were shooting it.

Link to home town board where pics are:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=22&t=186651
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They're just jealous, plain and simple.  In no way do I think these rifles are superior to any particular other ARs... I never claimed that... They are simply more collectible.  

The big problem you have with the "collectibility" of any Colt is you are just collecting a "rare" variation, not a separate model. You own something that could be made tomorrow with a quick change in policy...your gun isn't banned now, it is just "rare" because Colt right now is acting like the biggest asshole in the AR community. If you truly want something rare, go buy a Sig 550 or a Famas...otherwise you have a variation of the 6920 that no one can tell the difference unless they take off the handguards. Am I jealous? lol...nah, I'm a shooter and not a collector, and I have they same type of M4 mock bbl. on my J&T. You know, your rare 1 of 300 was cheaper to make than a normal 6920 don't you? - PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS ONE TO ME?!?!?!

I don't understand why people are having such a difficult time understanding that the LE6920s (HBs too) that were MANUFACTURED DURING THE AWB are collectible for the reason that they were manufactured during a period in U.S. History where Americans 2nd Ammendment rights were infringed upon and those rifles bare proof of this period of time by their markings ("FOR LE/MIL/GOV USE ONLY").  Just having these markings alone does NOT make them collectible.  Anyone can produce those marking on any weapon if they wanted to.  The serial numbers on these weapons DO VERIFY the authenticity of any claim that a particular rifle was one of these "once banned" rifles, not to mention, a letter from Colt certifying the authenticity of the limited production of the Heavy Barrel model.  Even if Colt were to start mass producing these rifles again tomorrow, those with serial numbers produced during the ban will still be more valuable TO A COLLECTOR thant the ones later mass produced for civilian use.  It's kind of like having a 1953 mint condition, all original white Corvette with red interior.  I guarantee that today, you can get a lot more than the $3490 that it originally sold for, yet you can buy a brand new one that performs better for less.  It's about nostalgia, not quality or performance.

SQEEZECOCKERP7M8:  Please explain this statement?  "You know, your rare 1 of 300 was cheaper to make than a normal 6920 don't you?"  

I understand that "Colt randomly pulled lower receivers from LE6920 and LE6921 production to assemble the small run of LE6920HB's."  How do you explain your statement?  You may be 100% correct, I just don't understand why and would like to.

EDIT:
02Overlander - thanks for your response below.  i didn't realize that and it makes perfectly good sense, although cost of labor does not always equate to final product value.  what if the barrel were made of gold?  point taken, nonetheless.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#16]

SQEEZECOCKERP7M8:  Please explain this statement?  "You know, your rare 1 of 300 was cheaper to make than a normal 6920 don't you?"  I understand that "Colt randomly pulled lower receivers from LE6920 and LE6921 production to assemble the small run of LE6920HB's."  How do you explain your statement?  You may be 100% correct, I just don't understand why and would like to.

What he was referring to is that it's cheaper for any manufacturer to turn out a HB barrel in contrast to a true M4 profile barrel because there is less machining involve. I.E. not turning the barrel down under the hand guards for an HB version = Less labor which in turn = less production cost.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#17]
It looks like I missed a wonderful investment opportunity here!  Can someone get me up to speed as to why these are so rare and collectable?  Did Colt finally decide to put .155” FGC pins in them?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Whats the price difference between a 98%-95% gun and one NIB?

Hasn't been that much as far as I can tell.  

Shoot it, just take good care of it

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
EDIT:
02Overlander - thanks for your response below.  i didn't realize that and it makes perfectly good sense, although cost of labor does not always equate to final product value.  what if the barrel were made of gold?  point taken, nonetheless.

You need to remember Colt's history...they have made a ton of "rare" models, basically just taking the parts that were sitting around. I am not sure of this particular run of 300 HBARs...but I'm pretty sure it had more to do with using what was around or saving machining cost than creating a collectible. If some collectors get all excited over some variation of parts Colt threw together, well, all the power to you. But don't think you have something more special than a Colt "let's use up that box of extra bbl's." variation...

I think you should just settle down btw and quit calling ppl. jealous especially when you had no idea that HBARs were cheaper to make. I am far from an expert on Colt but that little tidbit seems to be pretty common knoweledge among the AR community. You sound like a kid who just got a new bike and thinks he has the best bike in the world...Sure, you have a cool gun, the pony is really cute...I've owned lots of them, but trust me, those of us who think this recent 6920 and 1 of 300 HBAR thing is silly are far from jealous...most of us have been there and done that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Are you sure the HB 6920HB is cheaper to manufacture?  Unlike the other Colt HBars, the 6920 has additional machining in the cut outs underneath the handguards.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Hold the phone here guys!  Are you all saying that the only difference here is an HBAR M4 barrel???

Let me get this straight; Colt put out and M4 with an HBAR and it's a collectors item?  REALLY?  I have to be missing something here.  Is it a 14.5" or 16" barrel?  Does it have .155" FGC pins?  Does it have a front push pin instead of a screw?  

What's the real scoop???
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hold the phone here guys!  Are you all saying that the only difference here is an HBAR M4 barrel???

Let me get this straight; Colt put out and M4 with an HBAR and it's a collectors item?  REALLY?  I have to be missing something here.  Is it a 14.5" or 16" barrel?  Does it have .155" FGC pins?  Does it have a front push pin instead of a screw?  

What's the real scoop???

It has the front push pin. It is  the same lower as the LE6920,,,large FCG pins,,,web area to prevent sear block use. The LE6920HB had the heavy barrel, not with the M4 contour, but with two flats milled in the barrel for the grenade launcher. The only difference between the LE6920 and LE6930HB was the barrel.

LE6920HB owners can and will correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#23]
LMAO!!! M4arc, I believe the "collectors" are missing the sarcasm. Goit to love stupid people with way to much money in their pocket.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Are you sure the HB 6920HB is cheaper to manufacture?  Unlike the other Colt HBars, the 6920 has additional machining in the cut outs underneath the handguards.

Well, maybe someone should call Colt and see if two cuts cost more than machining the bbl. down. Wait a second, a civilian better not call, because we know Colt doesn't give a shit about them...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
LMAO!!! M4arc, I believe the "collectors" are missing the sarcasm. Goit to love stupid people with way to much money in their pocket.

Damnit man, don't blow my cover!!!

Honestly, I still need to hear the reason why these are so desirable.  Seriously, no joking around (I know, I know).  I have no problems with safe queens and collectors items but I hate to see my fellow black rifle owners get snowballed at the same time.  Is it really because of the HBAR?  I saw where there are only 300 of these, does that mean they are numbered somewhere like 2 of 300 or 123 of 300?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have shot mine and will continue.  I waited a long time to get the rifle that I wanted and I am not

Buying a gun and stashing it in the safe is like having a girlfriend you won't fuck.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#27]
[larry the cable guy] It's like wipin' before you poop.....it just don't make sense! [larry the cable guy]

git-r-done!

sorry...I had to h.gif
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Buying a gun and stashing it in the safe is like having a girlfriend you won't fuck.

Hey

Seriously, some people buy things for the collectibility aspect. That's why I bought more than one. So methinks I'll have to  go f**k one of them, hehe.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Shoot it.  Although I have an RRA M4gery that will probably get more use.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#30]
They (HB) are desireable because only 300 were made.  Just like anything else.  People are willling to pay more for something that is 'hard to get'.  Whether it's better or not is irrelevant.  What matters is that they are in fact 'rare', at least for now, and for that reason alone, they are worth more money to SOME individuals.  Nobody here EVER said they were better.  Nobody ever said anything else.  There's only 300 of them out there RIGHT NOW, and that's all you need to know.  If they make more in the future, great!  They still won't be the ones manufactured during the ban, and they certainly wont have the LE/MIL markings on them.  What's so difficult to understand about that?  Gee wizz!  It's simple economics.  Supply vs. Demand.  No supply creates greater demand.  As much as people bash colt for what they're doing, it's working for them.  No matter what people say, Colt will always be in greater demand than their competitors.  All the others are clones of the Colts.  They copy Colt because Colt knows how to build rifles.  How come the other brands just dont come out with a different style rifle if they think they can do it better?  SAW has now increased the price of their remaining 4 HBs to $2000 and the regular 6920s for $1400.  I don't hear anyone bashing them for doing it.  They are Colt's largest nationwide distriubutor.  Are you gonna tell me they don't know what they're doing either?  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Well gentlemen, after having to wait a year and a half for a Wanyne Novak .45 that I had to save money for six months to get, you could say that I have learned the patience game.......yep still waiting for my 6920 to come in. Anyway if it comes it comes if it doesent oh well.  Have a Preban Gov't Model carbine that I guess I will continue to shoot... Just a side note, you need to be careful what you buy now a days, there are real slimy salesmen out there that will sell you theses "new colts" that they themselves have put togeter.  I was at a gun show about three weeks ago and a youger kid had just bought a "6920" and wanted a vlotor stock for it......guess what?? The stock wouldnt fit. Why???? 'Cause the sorry bastard that sold it to him built it himself and used a bunch of mix matched parts!!!!!! Be patient and be careful in what you buy these days!!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, it's been a while, but my 6520 still sits in it's box in my safe(s) my 2 cnts worth..6920 ? I guess it's been a while since I bought a colt
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quote of the year!  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top