Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2004 9:08:13 PM EDT
Well, its not really a problem...if your rifle is clean...

BUT...take a look at the inside diameter where it is narrowest near the barrel's muzzle. Now compare it to an A2.

The A2 opening is about .3" or more...the Phantom is only .25"!

There is a reason the A2 aperture is oversized: debris in the bore.

The A2 is designed for field use (re: dirt!). High velocity bullets and bore obstructions are bad ju-ju. So the hole on the Phantom is undersized.

Try it yourself: drop a 5.56 projectile down the Phantom. Not much clearance!

Looking at that tiny hole in the Phantom makes me uneasy. I'm going to have my gunsmith bore it out to .312 (5/16").

And it will have no effect on flash supression.

Incidently, if you do this to a mini-Y comp (which is also made by YHM, and has the same size aperture), you will cut down on the blast and noise.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]
It will have an effect on flash suppression. A member here tried it, and it was less effective after that. Why bother, I don't see how this could be an issue with debris.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, its a real problem, if you shoot a 7.62x39 out of your 5.56 barrel with a phantom it wont clear the muzzle break and rip it off.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#3]
When you mount a muzzle brake on a rifle and have to drill the exit  hole in the brake, you're supposed to make the hole in the brake .030" over bore diameter.

.224"+ .030" = .254"

Sounds like enough clearance to me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Not supposed to shoot your rifle if you have a muzzle ubstruction!! Any rifle!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

But you won't always know if you have a muzzle obstruction.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not a problem.

Period.

Stop trying to find stuff to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have concentricity problems that large, throw your barrel away NOW.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It's not a problem.

Period.

I agree.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]

It will have an effect on flash suppression. A member here tried it, and it was less effective after that

What member did it, and how was this proven?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm glad you've identified this terrible problem before all of the Phantom users died!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It will have an effect on flash suppression. A member here tried it, and it was less effective after that

What member did it, and how was this proven?

I can't remember who it was. He bored it our and it didn't work near as well. Trust us, it's unecessary.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Next time you drop your rifle in wet cement make sure to check the muzzle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's not a problem.

Period.

+1
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You better go check the blinker fluid in your car.  You're muffler bearing could be worn too.  

Its not a problem, its chance of being a problem is so nil that nil is too many letters to describe it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#16]
You people dissapoint me.

AR owners are SUPPOSED to obssess over each and every component.

By the way, I'm sure there is a reason the A1 and A2 flash hiders were designed with thirty caliber holes in them; prolly because they were made for soldiers going into extreme environments. But range rats definitly should not worry about this potential hazard.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You people dissapoint me.

AR owners are SUPPOSED to obssess over each and every component.

By the way, I'm sure there is a reason the A1 and A2 flash hiders were designed with thirty caliber holes in them; prolly because they were made for soldiers going into extreme environments. But range rats definitly should not worry about this potential hazard.

The barrel has a .22 caliber hole in it, why should the one on the fs be bigger?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#18]

The barrel has a .22 caliber hole in it; why should the one on the fs be bigger?

Because of what might happen if foreign debris might enter the flash hider, and a projectile impacts it: explosive dissasembly of the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#19]
and how will boring out the FS remove the possibility of obstruction? If something is going to get stuck in the .22 hole it will certainly also get stuck in a .30  hole.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Ream the hole a lot bigger to say...like .50 and let us know how it works.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's not a problem.

Period.

I agree.

Me too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Ummm....overboring the hole in a very well researched and tested and tuned muzzle brake like the Y comp will only serve to ruin it's effectiveness.  The phantom, too.

Just as you described, every muzzle brake that you open up too much will send more of the blast out the front instead of where the muzzle brake is supposed to send it, out it's carefully machined and precisely placed ports.  Open the hole, and more gets by the bullet instead of being redirecetd out the ports at high velocity, thus lessening recoil and keeping the muzzle down, but as a side effect redirecting some of the blast back tword the shooter.

Go ahead and open it up, you'll have a very nice, expensive muzzle weight/boat anchor, but a very crappy flash hider or muzzle brake.

Unless you're an engineer that understands the dynamics of ballistic air compression or the thermodynamics of smokeless powder combustion, leave the modifying of these things to an expert.

The Phanotm has been recognized for a long long time as one of the best flash hiders in numerous formal and informal studies, on par with the vortex.  Same thing with the Y comp, it's pretty darn good at helping keep the muzzle down.

One other thing to think about with the dimensions of the A2, it was designed for WORST CASE exposure to the elements and battlefield conditions while still providing some measure of flash supression.  Soldiers universally use, abuse, and neglect their arms, especially when they're in the shit and there's not any time to clean and maintain it.  The larger clearances of the A2 reflect that, as does the issuance of a shoot through muzzle cover!!!!!  Are you willing to sacrafice the overall effectiveness of your FH on a percieved need to keep things out of it, or are you more likely to end up shooting at the clean range, with clean ammo, transported in a clean vehicle, where it comes home and gets cleaned after every range session?  Me, I shoot high power matches in the dirt and in the rain.  Never plugged a muzzle yet in 8 years.

Looks like you've found a solution in search of a problem.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The barrel has a .22 caliber hole in it; why should the one on the fs be bigger?

Because of what might happen if foreign debris might enter the flash hider, and a projectile impacts it: explosive dissasembly of the rifle.

Problem Solv-ed = $3.00

Buy some rubbers (no lube) = prevent unnessary impregnation of dirt semen in the muzzel.  If this were a real problem, do you really think that it would be discovered on this board.

Sorry (not really)  I have been drinking with SC Texas.  What were we talking about??? Hi.

IO1

ETA:  Removed mean comment because I was
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#24]

One other thing to think about with the dimensions of the A2, it was designed for WORST CASE exposure to the elements and battlefield conditions while still providing some measure of flash supression. Soldiers universally use, abuse, and neglect their arms, especially when they're in the shit

You just reiterated my point while disagreeing with me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top