Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2004 8:50:24 PM EDT
I have a xm-15  bushy, 16" barrel with a mini y on it and the thing is so freaking loud I cannot enjoy shooting it. I have a mini-14 that is 10 times more quiet than this thing. If I put on a "long" flash hider will that knock my sound down enough so I can enjoy this gun the way I was supposed to ???

Any thoughts ?

The mini-y comp is accurate, but is no fun, I have to wear twice the hearing protection than normal.

The long flash hider should make it a good deal quieter in theory... it just makes sense to me.
Another good question, can my mini-y be removed.... I shall call bushmaster I guess.

Anyway, what do you guys think, will it be a little more silent like the mini-14 if I switch the two devices out ???

Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't give up on Mini-Y comp!

Here's what you do: have the inside of the brake bored out to .312 (5/16").

It will make less noise and blast, and still be effective.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#2]
But the short answer to your question is YES.  A Phantom or Vortex in place of your Mini-Y Comp will not only be quieter, but you'll be in the "no-ban" zone as well

FWIW, I had an Armalite 20" with their "Blast Enhancer" muzzle brake on it...  My 14.5" with Phantom wasn't as loud as that thing!  At the range, shooting side by side with 14.5", 16", and 20" barrels, my lone Armalite got ALL the complaints.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top