Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2004 5:30:32 PM EDT
Looking to have a nice stock for target shooting - what would be your choice for a nice, adjustable, accurate/adjustable stock?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
An A1 buttstock gets my vote everytime, perfect pull for me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Different stocks fit different people. My best advice is to get one with an adjustable length of pull to allow for a custom fit. A feature I particularly like is to have something non-metal for your cheek to rest on. I spend my winters in Illinois and my summers in Vegas (don't ask why) so my stock can get really hot or really cold. I use an Ace SOCOM which has a foam pad around the reinforced buffer tube but a Magpul M93A or a VLTOR would also do the trick since they're made out of plastic.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I like how the Vltor flares out when the storage tubes are installed. It makes for an excellent cheek weld.  Its also a 5 position adjustable stock which gives quite a bit of room for adjustment.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
That pinned topic regarding the best collapsible stock at the head of the AR-15 discussions is a good place to start reading.  A lot of people have already voiced their opinions there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#5]
magpul all the way
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:00:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I like how the Vltor flares out when the storage tubes are installed. It makes for an excellent cheek weld.  Its also a 5 position adjustable stock which gives quite a bit of room for adjustment.

Until you open it all the way and your cheek is resting on a bare tube of metal.  Then the cheek weld sucks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:24:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm partial to the MagPul M93/M93A for a number of reasons like comfort, cheekweld, and rigidity. I like the Vltor carbine stock a lot as well, but not when it's fully extended (for the exact same reason DevL mentioned).

My only wish is that MagPul's extended tail unit with battery storage would be released soon

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:28:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm partial to the MagPul M93/M93A for a number of reasons like comfort, cheekweld, and rigidity. I like the Vltor carbine stock a lot as well, but not when it's fully extended (for the exact same reason DevL mentioned).

My only wish is that MagPul's extended tail unit with battery storage would be released soon

You back from your haitus I see.  

Welcome back!  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:34:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Until you open it all the way and your cheek is resting on a bare tube of metal.  Then the cheek weld sucks.

I shoot with it 2 positions in from max extension, and 1 position in with no gear on so I haven't run into that problem.  Wouldn't any A2 length callapsible expose the buffer tube the same amount when fully extended? Otherwise it wouldn't 'collapse' in as far resulting in a longer OAL of your rifle.

EDIT: To clarify my statement about all stocks exposing the same amount of buffer tube, I realize there are slight differences from manufacturer to manufacturer resulting in different LOP but they are basically less than 1".
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#12]
A1
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That could be avoided by not opening the stock all of the way.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#14]
another vote for the Magpul 93A
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is a adjustable "space" stock made by a couple of high power match shooters
Irostone Spacestock

Here is a Pic of one on my varminter
I Luv it. Very comfortable!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Looking to have a nice stock for target shooting - what would be your choice for a nice, adjustable, accurate/adjustable stock?

The Magpul M95 is the best for precision shooting.  Too bad it hasn't been developed yet
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Magpul
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Magpul M95 is the best for precision shooting.  Too bad it hasn't been developed yet

+1
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Yet another Magpul convert here....
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#20]
A1
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1.  The storage tubes give me a perfect cheek weld.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm 6'3" and feel very comfortable with the A2 buttstock. It's solid, firm, and best of all - CHEEP. I bought a brand spanking new RRA A2 buttstock kit (everything) for $30 shipped from.... eBay.

When in the prone position w/ a bipod, it's so comfortable that I could fall asleep.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#23]
The LMT/Crane!

Geeze....... I can't believe I'm the first one to mention this buttstock on this thread (since it fits the original posters requirements to the tee); this kinda reminds me of the ARMS SIR propaganda of a little over a year ago LOL!

The LMT/Crane has a superior cheek weld compared to the A1, A2 or Vltor and rivals (an in IMO nudges out) the venerable Magpul.

The LMT/Crane buttstock is a little over an inch longer then the Vltor in length (which means your cheek is always in contact with the plastic buttstock, NOT the tube) and extends to 14 1/4" when fully extended (if this is what your looking for)!

The rubber buttpad (which I usually hate on AR's) is VERY comfortable and also totally non-slip.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top