Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2004 4:44:15 PM EDT
For several years I've had a basic A2 style Ar built on an Olympic lower receiver.  The only problem with is some magazines fit too tightly in the magazine well.  I didn't realize how bad it was until getting another AR from a different manufacturer.  A few magazines are almost are impossible to insert without a lot of force.  It is not a magazine problem.  I have several 20 and 30 round USGI magazings and they all work fine in other AR rifles.

I got tired of selecting the magzines that fit in it every time I take it out, so I called Olympic today to see if there was anything I could do about it.  They were friendly and told me I could return it.  They said if anything was "out of spec", they would take care of it.

If anyone has had a similar experience I would be interested in hearing how it went.  I'm concerned that I'll pay to ship it back to only find out that it is not "out of spec".  Is it possible that mine is within specifications, but the narrower limits of the specifications?  What specifications will they go by, GI, their own, something else?

What does a manufacturer typically do to correct tight magazine wells?  Do the remove metal and refinish, or just replace the receiver?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Is your receiver forged or cast? I hate to say it, but I had a horrible time with a cast receiver, and Tom S. when I tried to get it fixed. I went back to my dealer, and he took it back...but that is way too late for you I imagine. To be honest some say they have improved in customer service, or accuse us that have had problems with Tom S. that we were mean or rude to him. I'm sure you will get both opinions on this...I wish I could be of more help but my only advice is to stick with a company like Rock River for lowers that seem to be in spec, something Olympic has had many problems with...
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell Tom we all said Hi!  That Loser is held in high regard around here!  By the Way, I just had another seriously OUT OF SPEC OLY in my hands last weekend.

It's sickening the kind of shit they let get out of their Junk Factory!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You left out "you couldn't have talked to him, he doesn't even work in that department"

Oh, so Tom S doesn't answer the customer service/tech calls anymore...damn, I wonder why that is?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#5]

I hate to say it, but I had a horrible time with a cast receiver...

Their forged receivers have this problem as well.  I have two.  What chaps my ass is that one of these was made in 1997, and they still have this same BS problem.  I really wonder why they don't make some slight mods to the CNC program...
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmm, the only mags I ever had a problem with were from singapore. All my English SA80 mags and La belle USGI mags have working with zero issue in my oly. Send it back to Olympic. They are good guys and would be glad to assist you. I've had nothing but good experiances with OA
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:00:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I second Variablebinary. I couldn't have asked for better customer service.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:43:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Olympic has gotten some sort of unfair and stupid reputation on this board. I have seen several Olympic rifles and never seen any problems. I have an OLY lower made in 90 with a bunch of different parts on the rifle. Mags all work fine. Rifle is very accurate and has zero mechanical problems. I have also had nothing but good experiences with Olympic customer service.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top