Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 4:36:25 PM EDT
OK, I've got a OLY stripped lower and $400.  Help me build a 20 inch target flat top with good accuracy.  I can assemble my own lower, but don't know how to do an upper.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Sell the lower, take the cash, find a friend who is an FFL dealer.  I know you say you are cheap.  Get your friend (a cheap one) to order you a Bushmaster Varmint model.  Cost to a dealer is about $750.00.  Go ahead and pay the tax and shipping you are not that cheap.  So for the $400.00 and maybe $100.00 for the lower, thats $500.00.  Borrow from another cheap friend around $350.00 with the full intention of never paying him back.  For a little over $800.00 you have a factory rifle just like you wanted.  If you take the lower, the $400.00 and gather up all the parts and pieces you need you might build a rifle but I can almost guarantee you will not like it.  Save your bucks and get something you know will function and if need be you can sell it.  The parts guns are almost impossible to get rid of.  But I think you are about to learn that.  Good luck-
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Ick, you'd be retarded to buy a pre-built gun.

For about $50 more, you can get a 20" kit from JT Distributing. With this path, you don't need any tools except the lower-assembly tools.

You could also go with components, but you'd need to pick up tools. The BIY forum here is pretty useful. This thread, in particular: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=184086
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Look around, get some used parts, and you won't have a problem, I have certainly built them for less than that using all new parts.  The trick is, you can't be in a hurry.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#4]
posted by jimbeau13

The parts guns are almost impossible to get rid of

Why would one want to get rid of an AR15?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Equipment exchange
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The parts guns are almost impossible to get rid of

Not true, a quality gun built on quaility parts will sell without a problem.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#7]
The question was in regards to CHEAP not Quality.  I have seen the put together AR's in gun shops, pawn shops and gun shows that could be had for $350.00.  Why would you want to get rid of an AR.  Because it does not work and the builder is tired of putting more $$$ into it or realizes he has bit off more than he can chew.  Sure you can spend the $400.00 + the lower and build a nice rifle.  Yes, you will have to be selective on what you buy.  I know some out there that have built AR's for less than $400.00 and some that have built them for $1,000.00's.  Which one is  more accurate, more reliable, more desireable?  That is all up to the owner to answer.  If you are after CHEAP then CHEAP is what you will get.  If you are after QUALITY the same applies.  In the end all the owner wants is something he can afford, that is accurate, he is pleased with and is 100% functional.  Can he get it for $400.00.  You bet.  In more ways than one.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Collin: don't listen to Jimbeau13. Some people have it stuck in their head that people who assemble AR15s from parts have inferior products.... Others think of them as Customs.

Take your time, find deals, and you will have yourself a fine rifle that falls withing your budget.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#9]
All your bitching and whining about parts quality and not one person actually helped this guy out. About selling the lower, that may not be a bad idea because the new Eagle Arms/Armalite/Cav Arms receivers are going for $95. Considering a grip costs $10, stock costs $35 minimum, plus the receiver for $100, you're already at a $40 disadvantage. If you can get what you paid for the lower, then by all means go for this. The Cav Arms parts kits run $60 and according to their site, they include all the parts required to finish the lower (which I am assuming includes the buffer spring and buffer, but I'd call and check about that). Now we're up to $155, maybe $170 if you include shipping and handling.
If we have $400, sold the receiver for $110, that'd give us $510. $510 - $170 = $340. For that much or maybe just a bit, you have a lot of option. 20" A4's from ADCO start at $375 and you'll know you'd be getting a high quality receiver. If you hang around the EE for a while, you might find somebody selling one with rear sights already mounted. That way you'd be ready to shoot right away rather than having to order sights.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for the suggestions, keep them coming.  I'll be haunting the EE and keeping my eyes open.  I have plenty of time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want new, M1S is your cheapest solution, but given their current fiasco, I'd put in the extra for a J&T kit. Otherwise EE is probably your best bet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sell the lower, take the cash, find a friend who is an FFL dealer.  I know you say you are cheap.  Get your friend (a cheap one) to order you a Bushmaster Varmint model.  Cost to a dealer is about $750.00.  Go ahead and pay the tax and shipping you are not that cheap.  So for the $400.00 and maybe $100.00 for the lower, thats $500.00.  Borrow from another cheap friend around $350.00 with the full intention of never paying him back.  For a little over $800.00 you have a factory rifle just like you wanted.  If you take the lower, the $400.00 and gather up all the parts and pieces you need you might build a rifle but I can almost guarantee you will not like it.  Save your bucks and get something you know will function and if need be you can sell it.  The parts guns are almost impossible to get rid of.  But I think you are about to learn that.  Good luck-

Guess whose never going to learn jack about their weapon?  This guy...... But hey he's got quality...... Or at least he hopes so.  He doesn't really know more than he read on a board (must be true he read it on a board).

Yeah if you buy guns to sell them because you are a gun hoarder, then he's right.  A parts kit won't go up in value.

If you buy guns to shoot and to protect your life, then building one is the only way to go.   Sure you won't be able to sell it for much down the road, but who cares?  Shoot it and enjoy.

Your Oly lower is fine. Selling it is stupid.  You've already got it.  Now build on it.

Just buy a kit from either Model 1 or J&T.  I bought one recently from Model 1 and got it within 5 days.   Model 1 sells a huge number of kits (often to people of various skill levels).  They also don't participate on this board or give money to it.  So you have to expect some criticism.    

Now once you have your kit put it together.  You've learned a great deal and will greatly enjoy your product.   There is nothing wrong with buiyng a built gun down the road to use as a safe queen, or as your primary defense gun.  Use your parts gun as a range toy and as something to experiment on.  You will love it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Here ya go:

RRA lower parts kit      $54 + $7 Shipping  Eagle Firearms

20" Upper Complete from EE

A2 Buttstock from EE

Looks to be about $406.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#14]
CMT Flattop upper from GTS/Denny's Guns 89.00
Bushmaster 20" Match Heavy Barrel Complete 209.95
Bolt Carrier Group RRA "Enhanced" 95.00 Eagle Firearms
Charging handle 16.00 Eagle Firearms

409 + S&H get's you quality parts
You can likely find an RKI locally through your hometown board who already has the tools to assemble the parts into a cohesive unit.

IMHO best bang for the buck.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Like I said earlier, if you aren't in a hurry, you can find wonderful deals. This is the one I built for under $160.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

... The parts guns are almost impossible to get rid of

... hehehe, Oh yeah?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=227049
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Like I said earlier, if you aren't in a hurry, you can find wonderful deals. This is the one I built for under $160.

www.airforcesecuritypolice.com/invisionboard/uploads/post-3-1089590241.jpg

Under 160? what is that? Airsoft?

Seriously, you must have had some parts already to finish that at only 160.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Color me cynical, but I need to hear the breakdown of the costs on this rifle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Color me cynical, but I need to hear the breakdown of the costs on this rifle.

+1
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#20]
$160. Gift Tax?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Who is the wholesaler on the varmint model at that price.  I need to switch over to them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The carry handle alone is half that.... how did you manage this project?

- BG
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, its very real.  It is a matter of being in the right place at the right time.  I couldn't duplicate the cost/ savings, but the deals are out there.    I used no pre-existing parts, and everything was new.  

People who don't want to believe me are welcome not to, I've been around long enough where people know how I post, and how credible I am.  

Back on track for the thread, you need to look at the EE, but you will find most of the great deals in your local area.  My way of getting good deals has always been to help others out, people will usually return the favor, or are able to point you in the right direction when they hear of good deals.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, its very real.  It is a matter of being in the right place at the right time.  I couldn't duplicate the cost/ savings, but the deals are out there.    I used no pre-existing parts, and everything was new.  

People who don't want to believe me are welcome not to, I've been around long enough where people know how I post, and how credible I am.  

Back on track for the thread, you need to look at the EE, but you will find most of the great deals in your local area.  My way of getting good deals has always been to help others out, people will usually return the favor, or are able to point you in the right direction when they hear of good deals.  

If you say you built that for $160, I believe you. But you have to admit that is extremely atypical of the usual cost to build an AR. You must have been extremely lucky to stumble upon parts at those prices.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:31:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I seem to remember Stickman giving a breakdown of the costs on that particular gun awhile back. It was all legit, but there were some favors/bartering involved. He's right though, if you are patient, and help out others you can get some great deals.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#26]
You guys are both right, and it is something I only wish I could duplicate.  Much like everything else in life, the best deals are found when other people are helping and looking out for you.  Everyone I know is aware of my interest in firearms, and because of that, I have been given several weapons from people who don't know what to do with them.  Is it uncommon?  Yes!  However, I've built and bought other weapons for great prices as well.  

The below carbine has run me less than $300.  Again, as people have pointed out, this is not common, but it is doable and buildable if you find the right deals.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#27]
That is an unreal deal.  I have been wanting to put together a 20" A2 to go along with my 16" RRA.  I think I will go the slow route, and wait til I find the best deals, and see how inexpensively I can make it.  Just looking for a standard 20", so it should be doable.  Damn, Id be happier than shit if I put it together for $400.  Damn nice rifles Stickman, especially for the price.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top