Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 4:28:24 PM EDT
What did I get myself into.  Currently, it is acting as a paperweight on my desk.  It was $100 at a show.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The new ones are fine.  I've built several and they have all been fine since the fire.

Don't listen to all of the "experts" so much.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If its forged you should be set.You wont know how parts fit until you build it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Sell it to me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Oly lowers are great.  What are ya gonna build?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Oly lowers are great.  What are ya gonna build?

I have no idea.  It just seemed like a good idea at the time.  I think that gives me an idea for a new thread.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy one of these barrels: Giffmann Mid Length Barrel Thread and build a mid length!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Get ready to ream the pivot/takedown pin holes. I have built two in the last month and both were too tight to assemble. However when properly fitted they are quite nice. I don't object to a little fitting, although I prefer things to go together snuggly without fitting as with Rock River.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Have had a forged Oly for 5 years. Zero problems with it. Don't worry...be happy. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 OLy lowers, one in my race gun, work good, the triggers are a bit "scratchy" at first, but after a few thousand rounds itll loosen up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
The last Oly lower I built was a bit tight in the front pin, but nothing to off myself over.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#11]

my olys are also a little tight on the takedown pin holes but haven't had any problems with either,other than nedding a little help to release the takedown pins
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I love my Oly receiver. The MaxHard finish is excellent even if the tolerances are a bit on the high side. At least I know nothing is going to come loose
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#13]
You just wasted $100 bucks.  You should have seen the Problems this OLY POS was giving this guy I was running MEU drills with last weekend.

He had made some crazy mods to try to Correct the out of spec pin holes.  And those Mods were causing other problems!  I can't understand why anyone would buy one of those fucking pieces of shit!  But they do have a lifetime warrantee!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I've seen several Olympics (and DPMS) fail in training environments and would not want to take one into the real world.  But if I had enough time with one and/or I built it myself I would have no problems using one.  The worst thing you can do is play garage armorer and "modify" a lower, that guy was just a jackass.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Regardless of what brand it is, once in a while a part will fail or be out of spec. I had an Oly flip up front sight that wouldn't fold down. Rather than starting a whole new Oly bashing thread, I packed it up and sent it back. A week or so later I had a brand new, perfectly working sight. The guy I spoke to even remembered my repair request without having to look up my invoice when I called to see how the order was coming. Hang around this board long enough and you'll notice there isn't somebody who isn't pissed off about a certain brand. Take their whining with a grain of salt because half of them don't even have first hand experience, just repeating what others said. If your Oly is in-spec, then use it. It will serve you just as long as any other brand out there. If you really don't want it that badly, I, or quite a few other people on this board, would gladly take it off your hands for a less-than-fair price
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Both my 1992-vintage Oly and the PCR lower I bought in '01 (my first AR) work fine for me.  I'll probably sell the PCR before long, but I don't think I'll have qualms about buying another Oly.  I haven't lost parts or had anything break yet, and both lowers fit all of my uppers just fine.

I'll tell you what.   Since you're so surprised you bought it, you can just send it to me.  I'll take it off your hands for free!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I say sell it to someone that will enjoy it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Build that lower!  So what it is an Oly.  I have a few Oly lowers myself.  Hehe, I can't praise their build specs, because the lowers where off when bought.  Oly fixed the problem, and now I have a few lowers with tight take down pins, but all else works fine.  I live in California, so back in 1999 I bought what I could find at the time.  Make that lower work, only way to find out is to build it.  My best shooter is built on an Oly lower.  My TEOTWAWKI gun would be my Bushie Dissipator though.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't believe you bought that thing either.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#20]
i've had 2 Oly lowers.  both were very nice.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top