Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2004 4:05:02 PM EDT
Just curious if anyone knows why the 16" ss barrel on my RRA seems to take so long to cool down. Im sure its not my imagination. My others seem to cool quicker.This is my first stainless steel barrel.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
What barrel profile?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The heavier the barrel contour, the longer it will take to cool down.  But also the longer it takes to heat up.  Stainless will radiate heat as quickly as chrome moly.  These steels are more similar than different.  It is a matter of surface area vs mass of steel.  

Is your barrel shiny, bead blasted, or black oxided?  Polished/shiny will radiate heat slightly slower than black.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:23:26 AM EDT
[#3]
16" post ban profile, fluted end for muzzle brake. It is a shiny finish.
Just seemed odd that it took longer to cool off with the same scenario run on the other rifles.
I apprecaite the replies.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:33:54 AM EDT
[#4]
It has to do with the black body radiation effect.

The darker the object, the faster/more readily it will transmit and absorb radiation/heat.

The white (i.e. mirror polished surface) surfaces will be slower to transmit and absorb radiation and will reflect it, thus causing it to heat up but keeps the opposite side cooler (the interior) i.e. insulation for house/beer can.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool, makes sense. I thought I was going to have to sand my friends skin off of my barrel after he grabbed the end of the barrel at the range Sunday. He screemed like a little girl. (NO OFFENSE MEANT TO LITTLE GIRLS READING THISh.gif)
I appreciate the info.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top