Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2004 9:16:14 AM EDT
I just put a comfy new Hogue pistol grip on my m4gery.  I'm wondering if the selector spring hole doesn't go as deep in the grip as the hole in the original pistol grip went.  After putting the new grip on, the selector is pretty tight.  With the old grip, I was easily able to flick the selector with my thumb, but now it's stiff enough that if I'm wearing gloves, I won't be able to turn the selector.  Anyone else seen this?  Anyone drilled the hole deeper?  It would REALLY PISS ME OFF if I went to drill the hole a shade deeper and ended up drilling through the bottom of the grip.  I had to get on an airplane for work travel soon after I installed the grip and haven't spent a lot of time fussing with it yet.  However, I'm positive that I didn't kink the spring or anything stupid like that when I put it on.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Make certain that the 'lever' portion of the selector is clearing the grip. I installed one and I had to trim just a little of the grip because the "RRA star" safety lever contacted the Hogue grip.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, the Hogue grip is a little wide and the selector grinds against it.  I use Tango Down now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think the selector is actually hitting the grip.  Doesn't the selector lever stay within the area of the lower receiver and not extend far enough to rub the grip?  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#4]
If you try to drill out the grip you may drill into the cavity. If it were me I would trim a few coils off the spring.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Shortcycle,

On mine, the selector appeared to pass over the edge of the grip, but it rubbed on the back of the 'lever' portion of the selector. Do you have any problem when another grip is installed. You should be able to compare the depth of the holes in the two grips (assuming you have another grip for comparison).

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll have a look at it when I get home.  I didn't think the grip interfered with the lever, but I'll have a closer look this weekend.  I'll also check the hole placement in the grip and the hole depth.  I'd had a better impression of Hogue's stuff, but there's a chance the fit isn't perfect.

I'd bought a Hogue grip for my S&W Model 29-2 at the same time (blued 8-3/8", looks bad as hell with the black grip.  Dirty Harry would be proud), and I was a little disappointed with the quality.  I had to extensively trim the inside of the grip to get it to fit the gun.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I have hogues on everything, never had anything like this.....  but I agree, if it is real tight, cut some coils off the spring.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The problem is, the screw goes in at an angle, but the hole for the safety detent spring goes straight up.

It is easy to crimp the spring such that the spring is only working from the grip up to the detent.

When you put a grip on an AR-15, slide the grip stright up into position and hold it there, THEN tighten the screw.

If you allow the screw to push the grip into place, it will bind the detent spring.

Some detent springs are excessively long or stiff.  If you did all the above OK, the spring is free to move as it should, and the safety is still stiff, then clip a few coils from the spring.

---

Edited to add, M16's have selectors, AR-15's have safeties.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Try backing off the grip screw just a little and see if the safety works any easier.

I had this problem with a Bushy that I was working on and found that the grip screw was too long.

Replaced the "too long" screw with a shorter one and the problem disappeared.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a look at the rifle today, and found that I hadn't crimped the spring.  Sure enough, the detent spring well was 1/8" shallower.  I drilled it a little deeper and it's right back to where I thought it should be.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Is there any play in the selector? Like if you put it on SAFE, does it shift up/down a little?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Is there any play in the selector? Like if you put it on SAFE, does it shift up/down a little?

No, it feels pretty good.  Not sloppy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't think the selector is actually hitting the grip.  Doesn't the selector lever stay within the area of the lower receiver and not extend far enough to rub the grip?  

I had this problem, and, after verifying that the selector didn't rub against the grip (it did not) then I clipped two coils VERY CAREFULLY off of the selector spring, because I noted that when I held the grip by itself with the spring inside, I could count more exposed coils coming out the top of the hole with the Hogue grip than with the A2 grip (that is, the spring was sticking out further and pressing harder on the detend with the Hogue grip, hence clipping two coils off).

You need to count exposed coils to determine how many to clip off.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Hi mine did same thing but it got easer after a couple of outings , now it is normal !
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top