Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 8:30:45 AM EDT
In other words,where can I find info on these rifles?I've found uppers for sale,but do they use standard lowers?What about mags?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
In other words,where can I find info on these rifles?I've found uppers for sale,but do they use standard lowers?What about mags?

There is a section here set up for AR15 calibers other than 5/56, though the mods don't seem to be very interested in pushing 6.5, 6.8, etc talk into that section: www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=121

They use standard lowers.   They use non-standard mags.   You can use 6.5 Grendel mags from Alexander Arms, or if you don't want to buy those for some reason, 6.8 SPC mags will work, as will some 7.62x39 AR-15 mags.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#2]
+1

prying info out of some of these folks is usually damn near impossible.  unless your asking something brilliant like "what's the best ar for shooting wombats on meth?" you're not likely to get an intelligent answer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
+1

prying info out of some of these folks is usually damn near impossible.  unless your asking something brilliant like "what's the best ar for shooting wombats on meth?" you're not likely to get an intelligent answer.

How'd you know about the "METHBATS" in my neighborhood???

Anyway,I found this site
http://www.65grendel.com./

Should supply me with plenty of answers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Grendel Forum

I'm very happy with mine and contrary to what druncuncas said there are a few Grendel owners here that will gladly answer any questions or at the very least get you in contact with someone who can. Some of us don't even hate on the 6.8SPC in the process (but we're in the minority, lol)
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Grendel upper and will gladly answer any questions you post.  I have been posting all my velocity and accuracy info over at 65Grendel, so you can see that over there.  

I have almost 1000 rounds downrange now, and have never had a single maluf, FTF, FTE etc.  It has functioned perfecly.  It is on a DPMS lower.  I have gotten the groups to .48" at 200 yards, or slightly less than 1/4 MOA.   I have never bothered to shoot it at 100 yards, 200 or further only.

Purchased it from CSSI a board sponsor here, and co-developer of the cartridge.

For paper punching at long range, it will be hard to beat the 6.5 Grendel.  

Good shooting!!!    

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
For paper punching at long range, it will be hard to beat the 6.5 Grendel.  

Actually, load up some deer bullets and it will centerpunch people at any range pretty good too.  Fortunately, we civvies aren't hampered by bullshit rules like the Hague Convention.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Who else sells this upper? I have only seen three online stores that sells them. Will the price go down sometime in the future?
Is the readily available ammunition good for hunting or would I be forced to reload? On the scope department, you think the Super Sniper mounted in an Armalite mount be a good choice for the caliber?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:56:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Who else sells this upper? I have only seen three online stores that sells them.

Right now, I know of www.competitionshootingsports.com and www.midwayusa.com

Will the price go down sometime in the future?

The current offerings are reasonably priced IMO.  Try putting together your own upper with a similar barrel...  You're looking at about $400 just for the barrel.

Bill Alexander just dropped a hint over on 65grendel.com that he's working on a lower priced "hunting" upper without the match grade barrel.

Is the readily available ammunition good for hunting

Yes.  The 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and 129 Grain Hornady Super Shock Tip are both perfect for most North American big-game.

On the scope department, you think the Super Sniper mounted in an Armalite mount be a good choice for the caliber?

Yes, it would be an excellent choice.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:10:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Grendel Forum

I'm very happy with mine and contrary to what druncuncas said there are a few Grendel owners here that will gladly answer any questions or at the very least get you in contact with someone who can. Some of us don't even hate on the 6.8SPC in the process (but we're in the minority, lol)

02O,

I am a 6.8SPC fan, but I am seriously looking at the 6.5G also. I've lurked over on the Grendal site. Is there a post or tacked thread on accruracy at ranges greater than 200yds for barrel lengths in the 18"  to  20" lengths? All the info I saw was mostly  28" barrels. I have an open request on the Hometown/Texas thread looking for someone to let me test drive their 6.5G with me paying for all ammo, range fees, & beer/dinner afterward.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Grendel Forum

02O,

I am a 6.8SPC fan, but I am seriously looking at the 6.5G also. I've lurked over on the Grendal site. Is there a post or tacked thread on accruracy at ranges greater than 200yds for barrel lengths in the 18"  to  20" lengths? All the info I saw was mostly  28" barrels. I have an open request on the Hometown/Texas thread looking for someone to let me test drive their 6.5G with me paying for all ammo, range fees, & beer/dinner afterward.

pcurtis,
 It just so happens that I'm also a 6.8SPC fan, I'm just not ready to build my 6.8SPC SPR till brass becomes more readily availible for the caliber. Most of the info you saw should have been for 24" as is mine. There are a few other regulars over there (as well as here) that have been posting results.
D.Fortier,  WalkerTexasRanger, Griz, Spclark, Arne (Arne's rig is a 28") and myself to name a few. I haven't had a chance to do any 200yard+ shooting as of yet (range availability over 200yrds is non-exsitant where I'm at). I will be heading out to some more rural areas in the near future to see how it performs at 500yrds+. I'm expecting nothing less then great results. I have seen nothing so for on 18" to 20" results. Arne or Bill Alexander would be your best source of info since they're the developers. Both are straightforward non-bull shitters and will gladly fill you in on what you need to know. If you happen to get out to Va I'll gladly let you try mine out.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#11]
PCurtis - Where in Texas are you located?   Arne and I both are in Houston.  As Overlander noted he has a 28" match, I have a 24" Overwatch.

I have a Rem 700 barrel in 6.5 Grendel on the way and will be working up a bolt rifle in the next month or so, at least I hope that quickly, and I think Arne is working on an A2 upper.  

My bolt rifle will will have either a 20" or 22" barrel.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
PCurtis - Where in Texas are you located?   Arne and I both are in Houston.  As Overlander noted he has a 28" match, I have a 24" Overwatch.
I have a Rem 700 barrel in 6.5 Grendel on the way and will be working up a bolt rifle in the next month or so, at least I hope that quickly, and I think Arne is working on an A2 upper.  

My bolt rifle will will have either a 20" or 22" barrel.  

WalkerTexasRanger,

I live just southwest of Austin. Houston is not that far by Texas standards. I was planning on registering on the Grendal site and see if I could get a direct email discussion with Arne or
someone like yourself. I have had some email discussions with PaulE @ MSTN on his experiences to date with his 6.5G. I have to take my better half out for dinner shortly, so I need to keep this short. I will try and get registered on the Grendal site sometime tommorrow and get things started from there, if thats the best avenue. My interest is currently focused on an 18"-20" SPR-type upper. I believe Spooky130 also post a very similar interest.

The Chief (better half) is calling, so I have to go. Look forward to discussions and more about the 6.5G.

Thanks,
Pete

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#13]
pcurtis...  Same interest as you - 18"-20" SPR or a 20" USMC East Coast SAM-R with the KAC folding front sight...  yeah, that would about do it!  Oh, hitting the lottery would be good too...  Or a sugar-mama!

ETA - pcurtis - have you seen the SPR clone at CSS? Almost perfect...

Spooky
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top